Thread: Snark supertight question

Default Snark supertight question

Say the tuner shows all the strings perfectly in tune when played open. Then you fret a string at, let's say, the fifth fret, and the tuner says you're two bars sharp. How sharp are you, and how important is it to get the instrument to a repair person to get the intonation adjusted?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Snark supertight question

I tune the open strings, and listen at the fifth fret. If I hear a difference at the fifth, it is time to get a set up. If I can't hear a difference, then it can't be heard. But ultimate accuracy only at the open strings.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

As long as the action is ok, just move the bridge to intonate.

Quote Originally Posted by jesserules View Post
    Say the tuner shows all the strings perfectly in tune when played open. Then you fret a string at, let's say, the fifth fret, and the tuner says you're two bars sharp. How sharp are you, and how important is it to get the instrument to a repair person to get the intonation adjusted?
    Yes. You may need to adjust the nut slot angle and/or depth as well as the bridge position. You should be able to be very close to in tune up the neck.

"Two bars" sharp depends a lot upon the tuner, since one bar could mean practically anything the designers wishes. It's a bit like bars of reception on your cell phone! The string could sound a bit sharp at the 5th fret for any of these reasons:

1) You plucked the string a bit too hard. Strings initially sound slightly sharp when first picked hard, they decay to a slightly flatter pitch.
    2) You fretted the string a bit too hard, or placed your finger a bit too far behind the fifth fret.
    3) Your action at the fifth fret is just a tad too high.
    4) Your bridge saddle is located a bit too close to the nut and needs to be repositioned.
    5) You nut is cut incorrectly, and the string is not resting correctly at the very front of the nut groove.
    6) Your strings are old and require replacement.

Any one (or more) of these could be the problem. You can check for several (actually, all) of these yourself, and don't need a luthier just yet, IMO!

I'm new to the mandolin, I recall watching a video of a guy setting the intonation on a banjo, "chime" a string at the 12th fret, and then fretting the same note moving the bridge until they are the same. Would the mandolin be similar to set up?

Quote Originally Posted by BAM View Post
    I'm new to the mandolin, I recall watching a video of a guy setting the intonation on a banjo, "chime" a string at the 12th fret, and then fretting the same note moving the bridge until they are the same. Would the mandolin be similar to set up?
    Yes
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

8. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

BAM