Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finders Keepers

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Finders Keepers

I may have mentioned now and then I've been working on some recording with my friend, the estimable, immensely talented Patti Rothberg. We've worked on this five-song EP at a pretty leisurely pace, partly because of geography - she's up in New York. We did some recording during a visit, with overdubs added then and later, and also with overdubs on tracks sent via the interweb. We finally finished the recording a couple of months ago, and the tracks were mixed and mastered by an experienced and expert here. We're currently waiting for the packaging and production, which should be done within a couple of weeks. Saying that may jinx it, but I'm optimistic.

Some of these songs are well-worn warhorses in the mandolin catalogue, which is Patti's doing - she's not as well-versed in mandolin versatility as I. But since she was providing the main impetus, that's the path the project took. We're planning to expand our horizons on the next venture. We're not reinventing the wheel here, but we're not staying within expectations either. We're doing the songs in our distinctive style, such as it is. I hope people like it. We've enjoyed the process.

Since today is Patti's birthday - yeah, yeah, May the Fourth be with her - I thought it would be a good time to offer you good people a sneak preview.

Here's a sample:

Eh, something isn't working. Maybe .wav files don't fly here. Hold on, converting. Check back.

Aha. The wav file is too big. But the converted mp3 isn't, yet it still isn't uploading. Yeesh. Well, I'm gonna see what I can do. Never had any problem before, or not this bad. I'll circle back.
    Last edited by journeybear; May-04-2022 at 8:54am. Reason: uploading issues
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: Finders Keepers

Here are some pics of the cover art to keep you entertained whilst I sort this out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CD Cover - Obverse.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	200939 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CD Cover - Reverse.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	744.8 KB 
ID:	200940

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Somebody sure likes them some Rod Stewart.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

5. The following members say thank you to jaycat for this post:

Blog Entries

Yes, she does. (Oh, I wish we had an eyeroll emoji!) Two of those are obvious choices, and I love the other - and there's mandolin on the original - but ... yeah. Hoping for no Rod on the next collection. Though I still wouldn't mind too much. His first four solo albums are landmarks in folk-rock. Before he went, well, whatever you want to call it.

As I said, mostly pretty standard fare for a guitar-mandolin duo. We're hoping to push the limits a bit more on the follow-up. Though I am going to insist on one or two what-you'd-expect, like "Ripple." Probably not "Friend Of The Devil," though. A bit too predictable. But you never know. We both have a deep, abiding affection for corniness.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Host your mp3 elsewhere, play it here by using the bbcode tags (without spaces in the brackets) like this:

[ mp3 ]url-for-mp3-file-location[ /mp3 ]
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Blog Entries

Thanks, Mark. I don't really have anywhere else. Though I do still have my myspace page but that hasn't been user-friendly for me for years. Facebook doesn't permit uploading audio files. Creating some sort of video, even rudimentary, is an option. This sure is an example of computer dysfunction - one dead one, two sick ones. Meh.

Blog Entries

Yeah, this is going to work out all right. I don't have enough photos, so they're going to repeat. Just made my first pass, and it's bloody awful, but at least I see how it's done. I'll revisit this after the Kentucky Derby.

Blog Entries

Alrighty then. Let's see if this works. And whether the effort was worth it.

I only had so many photos to work with, so sorry for the repeats, but I tried to find a rhythm and thematic thread. And really, it's just something put together so the music can be heard.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Alrighty then. Let's see if my spiffy new-to-me computer will succeed where the previous contraptions came up short.

Well, it worked - by a roundabout route. Even though the original audio file, converted from .wav to .mp3, still wouldn't upload, I'd used it to create a youtube video. When I downloaded that, and converted it to an mp3 file, that file did upload just fine. So kids - don't give up, don't ever give up. Remember - success is success; whatever works, works; and you don't need to understand why it works, as long as it does.

So now everyone can enjoy the toon without having to suffer through seeing my mug. And another upshot of this is I took the time to create a youtube channel for us, and hopefully there will be other, better things to come there.
    Attached Files Attached Files

“ Alrighty then. Let's see if this works. And whether the effort was worth it. ” - Journeybear

It was well worth the effort. Thanks for sharing it with us. Listening to it added some joy to my day - a nice version of a song that was part of the soundtrack of my youth. Also, thanks for setting up the U-Tube channel!

“If you never did, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.” - The good Dr. Seuss

15. The following members say thank you to Denis Kearns for this post:

Blog Entries

Brief update on progress.

It's done! Cover art, CD label, everything submitted to DiscMakers. Expecting delivery in three weeks or so, possibly even in time for my birthday, which would be oh so sweet! Clicking on that link will open a 3-D presentation of the finished product, for a while, anyway.

I'm a little excited, in case you couldn't tell. I'm glad this all got started, even though it was so long ago, and that we saw it through to completion. The artwork was more than a bit of a slog, using just the rudimentary Paint app that comes with my operating system. I don't know if PhotoShop or PageMaker would have been substantially better, but I wouldn't be surprised. But in any vent, I'm glad it's over, and it's on to other things.

Congratulations. It's an exciting time indeed.

My self-released 2000 CD was a million-seller... still got a million of 'em in the cellar
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
    Congratulations. It's an exciting time indeed.

My self-released 2000 CD was a million-seller... still got a million of 'em in the cellar
    Thanks! Yes, I was cautioned to refrain from ordering too many - not worth getting a price break if they don't sell.

Speaking of price we cut almost every corner, including not coughing up what it takes to make the music available via streaming and such. For now it's going to be mail order only, and at gigs, if we ever get any. The only corner we didn't cut was going with a B&W CD label, mainly because when I tried to remove the color the images went kerphlooey. The instruments look nice in color, and we're fine with that.

Blog Entries

Announcing the world debut of Finders Keepers, my duo with absolutely fabulous Patti Rothberg. We'll be playing a heady, eclectic mix of originals and covers - rock, folk, blues, and pop - with acoustic guitar and mandolin. No heavy metal this time, unless someone insists with a $100 tip. This will be at Parkside Lounge in New York City, 317 E. Houston St., tomorrow night, Thursday, August 11th, as part of a benefit for an animal rescue outfit, Waggytail Rescue. Our set is set for 9:30.

https://www.parksidelounge.nyc/

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post:

KennyKy Slim 

Does Patti sing Finders Keepers in the style of Etta James?

- YouTube Stuff

Blog Entries

Nope! But I do. No, I don't. That's the name of the duo. We don't have a song by that name in our repertoire. Yet ...

JB it would be funny if you were ever double booked with a group named "Losers Weepers".
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

24. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Etta James, "Losers Weepers"...

Your welcome.
    Charley

Blog Entries

I think it would be really sad if a band called itself "Losers Weepers." I mean, life - and a musical career - can be sad enough without any help, but naming your musical endeavor something that evokes misery would be asking, perhaps even insisting, on creating a miserable experience for all involved.

That said, as long as we're the headliners, so the marquee reads:

Finders Keepers
    Losers Weepers

that'll be all right, I guess ...

27. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Blog Entries

Here ya go!

In fact, we address the above issue (somewhat) in the introduction to this song: "If you miss us, you're losers weepers."

This is the third song of the set, just after "Maggie May." (Sorry, the guy shooting video botched just about everything he did, including that all-important effort.) It's the first single off her 1996 debut, "Between The 1 & The 9."

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    I think it would be really sad if a band called itself "Losers Weepers." I mean, life - and a musical career - can be sad enough without any help, but naming your musical endeavor something that evokes misery would be asking, perhaps even insisting, on creating a miserable experience for all involved.
    Just out of curiosity, I googled "worst band names". hoo boy there are some really terrible ones. So bad I dare not include a link.
    Charley

Blog Entries

Oh, yeah, I've seen a bunch of those. Also, there are "worst band promo photos." But if you need a pick-me-up after all that, look up "funny country song titles."

32. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    Etta James, "Losers Weepers"...

Your welcome.
    lol okay thanks, Charles. I listen to it way more often than reading the actual song title. Etta James forever, man.

- YouTube Stuff

34. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Blog Entries

Here's a clip of the end of "Maggie May," with that all-important historic, classic riff. It seems Patti lost her place and ended too soon. Oh well! That's how you know it's live. At least you can enjoy the percussive chording attack I used, so masterfully - similar to a snare drum.

The guy using my phone messed up big time, so all we have is this, and the other. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have more from a different source.

Blog Entries

It's official! Our CD EP is now available! We were on our way out to a gig, and saw the box from Discmakers had arrived - two days ahead of their earliest estimated date. How fortuitous! So we had them for sale at the venue. Naturally, no one bought one. But we had some there, so it counts. I guess, then, that August 16th, 2022 is the release date. There's no press conference nor release party planned, just a kind of a soft roll-out, so that'll do.

Perhaps our set at the rock club, Hard Swallow, will serve as a de facto pop-up release party. Here we are/were, and a display of sorts:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hard Swallow 20220816-1.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	257.5 KB 
ID:	202735 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Display 1.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	625.4 KB 
ID:	202736

If anyone is interested in obtaining one of these artifacts, send an inquiry to plrothberg@gmail.com

37. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post: