Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Airloom Tura carbon fiber mandolin case

Default Re: Airloom Tura carbon fiber mandolin case

I received a Tura yesterday. I have had a Canadian Calton, Smaller Austin Calton, and the newer larger Calton. While they have great protection they are less than practical when I am traveling with my family or going to gigs. So a lighter case with strong protection appealed to me. I was a little apprehensive as the Recurve 1.0 disappointed me. They felt cheap and not very protective. I have a Travelite that I prefer to the Recurve as it feels more solid for less money. But, with good reviews coming in and the fact that I am a straight up gear junkie I pulled the trigger. I fly with my instruments all the time and maybe have checked it once if that. But, I do have 2 young kids and their mountains of crap to deal with when traveling, so the few extra pounds and slightly smaller size were a big draw.

It is noticeably smaller to the Calton line and lighter. The shell seems solid. I will be curious how it responds to drops and knocks. The inside has some nice padding similar to the Caltons, but understandably less padding. It also opens to a V to accommodate A styles and 2 points. This is nice, but on the contrary an F5 feels a little more snug in a Calton with the case open, which I prefer. There are 2 pieces of padding in the top over the tail piece and strings which I assume secure the mandolin when the top is closed. The latches seem solid enough. I think it would be pretty unlikely they they would accidentally all get knocked open, but I am still just messing around with it, so will know more once it gets more use.

My general opinion it is a good strong case. It is definitely lighter, with less padding and less tough than a Calton. But that is what you sacrifice when you shave off pounds. So, it is understandable that it may be a little less expensive than other options. I don't have enough experience with Hoffee to really comment but they seem larger and stuffed with padding so guessing a similar situation. For my situation, traveling with kids and a bunch of stuff, needing lighter weight, keeping with me when flying in the overhead or under seat and going to jams/festivals/local gigs I think this will be a great option to increase protection with having to feel like I am lugging around a heavy case. (Lucky I don't play much guitar I guess) If I were touring extensively in planes/trains/automobiles with a nice instrument I would probably want to stick with a Calton for the extra toughness/padding.
    Last edited by Josh Levine; Aug-03-2022 at 12:45pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Levine View Post
    It is definitely lighter, with less padding and less tough than a Calton. But that is what you sacrifice when you shave off pounds.
    And several hundred dollars
    Glad you like it! I am struggling with the decision to put stickers on it or not. I love the look of the carbon fiber so much I am tempted to leave it alone. Maybe just a couple...for now...
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Ya, I got the the deluxe and it is pretty, but is it as pretty as a picture of Mike Compton?

Well, took my Tura to it's first jam. I do like the case, BUT, there is already damage to the exterior. I wasn't rough with it. Put it in the back seat of my car on top of a car seat dock. When I looked at it this morning I noticed a small pucture and bubbling in the exterior. So, I guess you need to be a little more careful with these than a hard plastic like a Calton. Good thing I have a large sticker collection burning a hole in my pocket. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turadamage.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	202507Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tura2.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	202508

Interesting review Josh. I would have thought scratches on the carbon fiber would have been the first ding. But a puncture? Is it just partial through the fiber? And obviously you don't have a cover for it. This may push me to get a cover for my Hoffee.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

That's what I hate about carbon fiber cases. They mark easily.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

7. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    That's what I hate about carbon fiber cases. They mark easily.
    It just means it gets used, like a well played instrument, it shows. I prefer the marks to the stickers.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

9. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

I'm curious to know if there is a difference in the carbon fiber between the tura dlx 3k woven carbon fiber and the tura uni-directional carbon fiber? Is there one that is more protective or it's just the appearance of the carbon fiber that change?

Also anybody know if others colors will be available eventually?

I have try to contact Northfield but didn't have a reply yet so I tought I asked here.

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    It just means it gets used, like a well played instrument, it shows. I prefer the marks to the stickers.
    My Smart mandolin came with a Hoffee. I took the mandolin out of the house for the first time since getting it Christmas week. I went to open it at rehearsal and noticed a huge bang/crack in it. Granted it on the surface, but it was disheartening to see how easily and quickly the case begins to look …rough. I’ve marked up Caltons. But this is a whole other look. While I am absolutely enamored with the Smart, the case will probably get swapped for a Calton.

Worrying about marks on the outside of a case is like worrying about scratches and dents on the inside of a pickup truck bed -- The only way you don't get 'em is if you aren't using 'em.
    Steve Sorensen
    Sorensen Mandolin & Guitar Co.
    www.sorensenstrings.com

13. The following members say thank you to Steve Sorensen for this post:

I would gladly surrender half of my kingdom to have Small Dog case covers in production again!
    too many strings

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by musicofanatic View Post
    I would gladly surrender half of my kingdom to have Small Dog case covers in production again!
    Interesting bit of history on those. For anyone that wants the final word, check out these two posts from people that had a hand in the organization. From 2017, this post, and this post from the original founder of Small Dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sorensen View Post
    Worrying about marks on the outside of a case is like worrying about scratches and dents on the inside of a pickup truck bed -- The only way you don't get 'em is if you aren't using 'em.
    If they only looked like dents, I’d feel better. These look like broken glass with chips out. I owned two earlier ones and don’t remember them marking like this. I don’t mind honest wear.

As for dents in the bed of a pickup, most people opt for bed liners these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    Interesting bit of history on those. For anyone that wants the final word, check out these two posts from people that had a hand in the organization. From 2017, this post, and this post from the original founder of Small Dog.
    Interesting to know all of this. I was a stringed instrument retailer in the mid-1980s and used to drive down to their shop in Boston (Medford?) with cases to have them traced for custom fitted covers….I always enjoyed the visits. Since then, I have engaged in periods of compulsively searching eBay and reverb (and MC) for Small Dog and turned up a few…I have near a dozen cases with SD covers. Closer to being on-topic, I got one of Hoffee’s early dreadnought cases and quickly saw how it was going to get ugly with very little use…it wasn’t long before CCC offered a Hoffee case cover as a catalog item. It has kept my Hoffee case in relatively decent shape, even as checked airline baggage.
    too many strings

Acoustic Music Works in PA has a stash of small dog covers, including one for a Pegasus mandolin case (according to their Facebook page). Who knows what else they may have in the way of case covers.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."