Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airloom Tura carbon fiber mandolin case

Default Airloom Tura carbon fiber mandolin case

Saw a picture of this case with the Artist Northfield F5 at Elderly..........Looks between a Hoffee and Calton. Will probably be near impossible to get,..........Unless you buy the mandolin with it.

Default Re: Airloom Tura carbon fiber mandolin case

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_50400513.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	569.1 KB 
ID:	200942Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_50400513.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	569.1 KB 
ID:	200942

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skittle For This Useful Post:

I was able to check one out in person that belonged to Mike Marshall back in March. Very nice! Compared to the Airloom rectangular case it was about half the weight. The storage space is also generous (not as much as the rectangular of course, but more than the Recurve).
    I had swapped some emails with Adrian about it a few months ago and am on a wait list to purchase one whenever they are ready. It sounded like there would be a couple of different options for color and latches.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drew Egerton For This Useful Post:

This looks interesting enough to maybe make me pause in getting a Calton or Hoffee for my Brentrup. The Airloom Deluxe is nice, but is very heavy. Especially compared to the Recurve.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Well folks, I have had the Northfield Tura Deluxe case for almost a month now. I LOVE IT!

Yes, I am a huge Northfield fan. I have 2 mandolins, an octave, a hoodie, some other odds and ends. Mainly because I met Adrian 3 years ago at Swannanoa and learned a lot about the company and each and every purchase afterwards has exceeded expectations. Other than being a huge fan, NFI here for me.
    After hearing rumblings on the case here on the MC, I started talking with Adrian about buying one. They were not quite ready for production in volume at that point so there was a bit of a wait. Understandable certainly in this day of crazy supply chain issues.

Now for the case, everything about the workmanship is spot on. It is beautiful, functional, protective, and light.
    The storage space here is amazing for a teardrop shape case. I can easily store a tuner, string winder/cutter, multiple sets of strings, pens, a rag, wooden pick box, nail trimmers etc.

With the back pack straps installed it is a very comfortable carry on the back, but it is also well balanced to carry by the handle. Weight with the backpack straps on is roughly 7 lbs. It is SIGNIFICANTLY lighter than their rectangular case that came with my 4th Gen. Sure wish I had this one when I was lugging that one through the airport!

I will hold off on posting the price in case things change before they are ready to sell them separately online, but it was very attractive compared to Calton and Hoffee.

Here are a couple of pictures:

Name:	IMG_2687.JPEG 
Views:	261 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	202024

Name:	IMG_2688.JPEG 
Views:	294 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	202025

Name:	IMG_7749.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	874.4 KB 
ID:	202026

Name:	IMG_7752.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	202027
    Drew
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Drew Egerton For This Useful Post:

Very nice indeed.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

10. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

Just from looking at the the posted pictures I can’t see making a comparison between it and the Hoffee or Calton case’s, it doesn’t look like a flight case so it should be lighter and cheaper.

Nice case, very sharp. Love the Gabe Wiseman Monels too.

Adam

13. The following members say thank you to addamr for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by 707erich View Post
    Just from looking at the the posted pictures I can’t see making a comparison between it and the Hoffee or Calton case’s, it doesn’t look like a flight case so it should be lighter and cheaper.
    You are correct in not making a comparison to the Hoffee or Calton. The Airloom Tura is much lighter and more streamlined than either of them and an over all better choice for traveling when size and weight are major consideration.
    “Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.”

My Mandos:
    1981 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #6
    2001 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #57
    2006 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #106
    2017 Boeh F5 #27
    2020 Boeh 2-point #31
    2012 Grey Eagle 2-point #57V

Looks nice! Does it accommodate room for a tone guard?

Quote Originally Posted by Zmando85 View Post
    Looks nice! Does it accommodate room for a tone guard?
    Yes I have a tone gard and armrest on my 4th Gen and F5S with no problem. Bring a brand new case that was shipped empty, it was a pretty tight fit at first to wedge it in but now it’s just the right amount of snug.

17. The following members say thank you to Drew Egerton for this post:

Interesting opinion. Never owned a Hoffee, but I’m very curious what in the photo makes you think it’s any less protective?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Egerton View Post
    Interesting opinion. Never owned a Hoffee, but I’m very curious what in the photo makes you think it’s any less protective?
    “Less protective” depends on where you’re taking your mandolin too and how you’re planning on getting there. What I saw in the pictures is the Tura case latches don’t have any locks and what looks like lighter weight hardware than what’s on ether the Hoffee or the Calton flight case’s. Just out of curiosity the bumper located by the handle when the case is close, do you know what that was put on there for?

“Less protective” depends on where you’re taking your mandolin too and how you’re planning on getting there. What I saw in the pictures is the Tura case latches don’t have any locks and what looks like lighter weight hardware than what’s on ether the Hoffee or the Calton flight case’s. Just out of curiosity the bumper located by the handle when the case is close, do you know what that was put on there for?
    I'm guessing the bumper is there to facilitate lifting the lid of the case up - I have a Price case that I wish had something like that there as I have to get my fingers under the rubber seal to lift the lid up.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    I'm guessing the bumper is there to facilitate lifting the lid of the case up - I have a Price case that I wish had something like that there as I have to get my fingers under the rubber seal to lift the lid up.
    Exactly

And the price is?
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    Ok, I feel stupid…….. I wouldn’t have thought of that.

Do any of the latches have a lock?

Blog Entries

FYI, there will be a news release published on the site with specific details about these either Friday or Saturday.

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

For those of you that might be interested in seeing how the Northfield Tura DLX compares size wise to Calton attached are some photos for you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cases Compared s.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	202375   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cases Compared.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	202376  

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gary Alter For This Useful Post:

Sorry for the double posting of the photo, I was trying to re-size the image and it wouldn't let me delete the original but hopefully you get the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Alter View Post
    Sorry for the double posting of the photo, I was trying to re-size the image and it wouldn't let me delete the original but hopefully you get the idea.
    Good pictures.

31. The following members say thank you to 707erich for this post:

As for the modern Calton, the head stock sits off-center towards the treble side wall of the case (and thus endangers the scroll). A mandolin will almost never rotate counter clockwise, and still there is ample room for the head stock on the bass side. I remember some knocked-off head stock scrolls in the older Canadian Calton. Has that problem - as far as you'all know - in the meantime been taken care of? And how is the Tura case in this respect? I'm also thinking of the necessary room for a tone guard. It should reduce a snug fit of F5s without the tone guard. Or am I on the wrong track here? As a case maker, I would give the head stock scroll issue highest priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik Ahrend View Post
    As for the modern Calton, the head stock sits off-center towards the treble side wall of the case (and thus endangers the scroll). A mandolin will almost never rotate counter clockwise, and still there is ample room for the head stock on the bass side. I remember some knocked-off head stock scrolls in the older Canadian Calton. Has that problem - as far as you'all know - in the meantime been taken care of? And how is the Tura case in this respect? I'm also thinking of the necessary room for a tone guard. It should reduce a snug fit of F5s without the tone guard. Or am I on the wrong track here? As a case maker, I would give the head stock scroll issue highest priority.
    There is significantly more room around the headstock sides with this case than with the older Canadian Calton I had (which actually touched sometimes).
    I have a Tone Gard and armrest on both of my Northfields and they fit very snugly. Now that the Tone Gard arms have created some slight depressions in the foam, it is easy to get in and out but still a good snug fit.
    Drew
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E

34. The following members say thank you to Drew Egerton for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Egerton View Post
    There is significantly more room around the headstock sides with this case than with the older Canadian Calton I had (which actually touched sometimes).
    Thanks, Drew, for your explanation. Still, I find this interesting: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Recent Calton.png 
Views:	119 
Size:	818.6 KB 
ID:	202467