Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Airloom Tura carbon fiber mandolin case

Default Re: Airloom Tura carbon fiber mandolin case

I received a Tura yesterday. I have had a Canadian Calton, Smaller Austin Calton, and the newer larger Calton. While they have great protection they are less than practical when I am traveling with my family or going to gigs. So a lighter case with strong protection appealed to me. I was a little apprehensive as the Recurve 1.0 disappointed me. They felt cheap and not very protective. I have a Travelite that I prefer to the Recurve as it feels more solid for less money. But, with good reviews coming in and the fact that I am a straight up gear junkie I pulled the trigger. I fly with my instruments all the time and maybe have checked it once if that. But, I do have 2 young kids and their mountains of crap to deal with when traveling, so the few extra pounds and slightly smaller size were a big draw.

It is noticeably smaller to the Calton line and lighter. The shell seems solid. I will be curious how it responds to drops and knocks. The inside has some nice padding similar to the Caltons, but understandably less padding. It also opens to a V to accommodate A styles and 2 points. This is nice, but on the contrary an F5 feels a little more snug in a Calton with the case open, which I prefer. There are 2 pieces of padding in the top over the tail piece and strings which I assume secure the mandolin when the top is closed. The latches seem solid enough. I think it would be pretty unlikely they they would accidentally all get knocked open, but I am still just messing around with it, so will know more once it gets more use.

My general opinion it is a good strong case. It is definitely lighter, with less padding and less tough than a Calton. But that is what you sacrifice when you shave off pounds. So, it is understandable that it may be a little less expensive than other options. I don't have enough experience with Hoffee to really comment but they seem larger and stuffed with padding so guessing a similar situation. For my situation, traveling with kids and a bunch of stuff, needing lighter weight, keeping with me when flying in the overhead or under seat and going to jams/festivals/local gigs I think this will be a great option to increase protection with having to feel like I am lugging around a heavy case. (Lucky I don't play much guitar I guess) If I were touring extensively in planes/trains/automobiles with a nice instrument I would probably want to stick with a Calton for the extra toughness/padding.
    Last edited by Josh Levine; Aug-03-2022 at 12:45pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Levine View Post
    It is definitely lighter, with less padding and less tough than a Calton. But that is what you sacrifice when you shave off pounds.
    And several hundred dollars
    Glad you like it! I am struggling with the decision to put stickers on it or not. I love the look of the carbon fiber so much I am tempted to leave it alone. Maybe just a couple...for now...
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Ya, I got the the deluxe and it is pretty, but is it as pretty as a picture of Mike Compton?

Well, took my Tura to it's first jam. I do like the case, BUT, there is already damage to the exterior. I wasn't rough with it. Put it in the back seat of my car on top of a car seat dock. When I looked at it this morning I noticed a small pucture and bubbling in the exterior. So, I guess you need to be a little more careful with these than a hard plastic like a Calton. Good thing I have a large sticker collection burning a hole in my pocket. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turadamage.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	202507Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tura2.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	202508

Fingertips of leather Bill McCall's Avatar

Interesting review Josh. I would have thought scratches on the carbon fiber would have been the first ding. But a puncture? Is it just partial through the fiber? And obviously you don't have a cover for it. This may push me to get a cover for my Hoffee.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Ratliff CountryBoy A
    00-21 (voiced by Eldon Stutzman)

That's what I hate about carbon fiber cases. They mark easily.
    Sorry, I am no longer suffering fools

7. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    That's what I hate about carbon fiber cases. They mark easily.
    It just means it gets used, like a well played instrument, it shows. I prefer the marks to the stickers.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

9. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post: