Thread: Slide tenor tuning

Default Slide tenor tuning

Hello guys, presently looking at slide options for tenor guitar. The most common choices seem to be modal: DADA, DGDG etc.

As a long-time Little Feat song I'm keen on a major chord, so I'd like to slip a third in there. I'm inclined to go for DF#DA, which I can reach easily from CGDA. But DF#AD seems more popular, presumably because having #1 tuned to the tonic is a Good Thing.

Any perspectives welcome.

Default Re: Slide tenor tuning

I don't have the experience to know why one would want to play
    slide on a tenor guitar, but I would not want to discourage it.

A search suggests D F# A D which they call "open D" would be good,
    though E G# B E ("open E") seems to be preferred. Read about it there.
    --> open D slide guitar tuning
    Thanks,
    sounds_good

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sounds_good For This Useful Post:

DavidKOSfox 

If you do want to play slide on a tenor guitar, you could use D F# A D as it relates to common 6 string guitar slide tunings of open D (and E, same pattern.)

And you could retune to "Chicago" tuning for regular playing, DGBE.

Quote Originally Posted by niftyprose View Post
    Hello guys, presently looking at slide options for tenor guitar. The most common choices seem to be modal: DADA, DGDG etc.

As a long-time Little Feat song I'm keen on a major chord, so I'd like to slip a third in there. I'm inclined to go for DF#DA, which I can reach easily from CGDA. But DF#AD seems more popular, presumably because having #1 tuned to the tonic is a Good Thing.

Any perspectives welcome.
    I’ve become fond of ADAD. The low A is nice for blues slide. GDGD is an alternative if you like playing in G.
    Tenor Guitar & Lap Steel Freak
    https://papadafoe.com/tenor-guitar-tunings

A good resource for this is to look up information on 4-string cigar box guitar, as a lot of CBG players play slide. There are a few books out, and tons of videos on YouTube.

I've been playing around with GDGB–one of the oft-recommended CBG tunings–on my normally-GDAE-tuned tenor. GDGD and ADAD are also nice, but since I tend to use those for adapting fiddle tunes to the tenor a lot, it's been fun (and surprisingly helpful to mentally keeping track of what I'm doing) to have a different tuning for blues slide.

DGBD, like a five-string banjo's main four. DF#AD is great, very bluesy. CGCE, however, is the most beautiful on a tenor in my opinion. All of these slide tunings are a simple shift from DGBE.

Eastwood has a page on their site that shows a few different tenor tunings that Warren Ellis uses. They include what gauge strings work as well.
    Its not a backwards guitar.