Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: "Noodling" at Sessions

Default Re: "Noodling" at Sessions

Thanks Ray(T). This is the most enthusiastic performance I’ve heard.

(Many) other recordings are avalable!

3. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

Blog Entries

O.K. back to Irish Music.

You can 'play along' in the privacy of your own home with these videos made by and Shannon and Matt Heaton. They play slowly and they really understand the process of learning Irish Traditional Sessiun Music. Shannon is remarkably welcoming and supportive. (They are excellent musicians too. Flute and guitar / bouzouki.) You can play along with any instrument and at the same time feel like a member of a world wide online group; sort of like belonging to MandolinCafe.
    Highly Recommended. And at home, you can noodle all you want!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...B03R9bE7MkGBl0

Last edited by DougC; May-31-2022 at 10:12am.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DougC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DougC View Post
    I remember a session in Madison Wisconsin where we had to suffer thru a whole evening of watching this piper dominating the sessiun, (he was the supposed leader of that sessiun). He played only obscure pipe tunes in order to keep us 'visiting musicians' from joining. I had my violin ready but, I was a snob too as I looked at this guy holding a nice mandolin with a frown. I thought to myself that he's a Bluegrasser and probably knows nothing about Irish Music. We never did get to play that night but we did have a few beers and a nice talk about building mandolins. So the social side of the Sessiun overcame poor attitudes. And we left that evening as good friends.
    Suddenly dawned on me that the odds are fairly good I know who that piper was. Even though (a) I've never been to a session in Madison, WI and (b) the number of people I know who can play pipes is very limited. But it sure sounds like something this person would do.

- - - Updated - - -

I remember a session in Madison Wisconsin where we had to suffer thru a whole evening of watching this piper dominating the sessiun, (he was the supposed leader of that sessiun). He played only obscure pipe tunes in order to keep us 'visiting musicians' from joining. I had my violin ready but, I was a snob too as I looked at this guy holding a nice mandolin with a frown. I thought to myself that he's a Bluegrasser and probably knows nothing about Irish Music. We never did get to play that night but we did have a few beers and a nice talk about building mandolins. So the social side of the Sessiun overcame poor attitudes. And we left that evening as good friends.
    Suddenly dawned on me that the odds are fairly good I know who that piper was. Even though (a) I've never been to a session in Madison, WI and (b) the number of people I know who can play pipes is very limited. But it sure sounds like something this person would do.
    2000 Brentrup Model 23 #6, Peter Coombe #248, Gibson A Jr, '82 Flatiron 1SB, Strad-O-Lin, Eastman MDO-305
    http://ericplatt.weebly.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Blog Entries

That piper is just an example at this point. No 'hard feelings' intended by me. At that time however was at a mandolin builders workshop and I'm sure someone here at Mandolin Cafe was the guy I had given the 'stink eye'. Ha, ha.
    (I was attending a violin makers workshop...).

Now let's play some tunes online with the Heatons!
    They start after a few minutes of waiting for people to check in, and then, after some talking.
    Skip ahead for the tunes.

8. The following members say thank you to DougC for this post:

Blog Entries

Noodling! Matt is noodling on the guitar at 9:43

That piper is just an example at this point. No 'hard feelings' intended by me. At that time however was at a mandolin builders workshop and I'm sure someone here at Mandolin Cafe was the guy I had given the 'stink eye'. Ha, ha.
    (I was attending a violin makers workshop...).

Now let's play some tunes online with the Heatons!
    They start after a few minutes of waiting for people to check in, and then, after some talking.
    Skip ahead for the tunes.

10. The following members say thank you to DougC for this post:

I've had two awful noodling experiences at our little Irish session in Wisconsin.
    The first was a local fellow who showed up with a penny whistle. We realized immediately that he didn't know a single tune! Yet he noodled every single tune anyone started. Ruined the session...

The second was a similar situation when a guy brought one of those tiny, but very loud, banjos to the session. He sat on a stool right next to me left ear and he too, obviously, didn't know any tunes, but came to "jam and learn".

Outrageously rude and impolite!

Quote Originally Posted by kickapooviking View Post
    … he didn't know any tunes, but came to "jam and learn"…
    Nice one, so he jammed… you had a nice chat with him… and he learned.

Blog Entries

I agree with your take on the situation Simon. However we were not there, and we really don't know what happened. Nice chat? Did he say he spoke with them? To be sure if these guys came again I would move to the other side of the room. But, yea. No harm really. Life goes on.