Thread: Best On-Instrument Mic

Default Best On-Instrument Mic

Hello good people of Mandolin Cafe,

I've been looking for a good on-instrument mic for my Weber Gallatin. I've been told to look at DPAs and other similar products. Any suggestions from you all?

Thanks!

Default Re: Best On-Instrument Mic

The gold standard for years has been the DPA 4099, partly for the build quality and feedback resistance, but also because it has a wide range of clamps for different instruments. The violin clamp fits on my mandolin, and I have a few more DPA 4099's I've used for octave mandolin and guitar with the guitar clamp, and another for a fiddler in bands I've played in where I'm running the PA system

It requires phantom power with a wired setup, but it also works really well with a body pack transmitter for wireless rigs. The only two downsides are the relatively high cost, especially for accessories like wireless plug adapters because it's made in Europe, and a slightly edgy high frequency response that can be tamed with a little EQ roll-off.

Here's the 4099 on my Lebeda mandolin with the fiddle clamp:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DPA4099 01.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	200975

And here on my Weber octave mandolin with the guitar clamp:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DPA4099 03.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	200976

3. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

I've been very happy with the Myers product I have called the, "Grip/Clamp Micro Gooseneck." The one I use is very realistic sounding and easy to manage. I have had the DPA 4099 and it is also a nice option but quite a bit more $$$.

The company insists on calling these products 'pickups' but they are actually microphones. The company has been great to work with and seem to be forging ahead with new ideas.

Scroll down to see the one I reference
    https://www.myerspickups.com/pickups/the-grip-series

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

5. The following members say thank you to Billy Packard for this post:

A good alternative to the DPA4099 ist the Audio-Technica ATM350. Mic of choice for the Punch Brothers ... I prefer it over the DPA4099 for its clamp. It's an alligator clamp mounted at the tailpiece. The DPA mount did not work safe enough on mandolin for me.
    Lesser known but great sounding is the John Bartlett mandolin mic. I dearly can recommend it. https://www.bartlettaudio.com/products/mandolin-mic
    These days I gig with a mic on a stand, but when using a clip on I preferred the DPA4061 mounted near the treble F-hole. Although it's an omnidirectional mic it's not as feedback prone as one would expect. I tried and compared it to the above mentioned mics and settled on it. Stage volumes are low to medium, my Rock'n'Roll days are over.
    Ellis F5 Special Deluxe custom
    Anton Krutz F5
    Lawrence Smart H 5 Mandola
    Gibson K 2 Mandocello
    Northfield mahogany arch top Octave Mandolin

guitars, banjo, dobro, weissenborn, pedal steel, fretless bass, upright bass

Best is an illusive quality. I can recommend the Barlett mics. Bruce is real responsive his mics are good and hot. They do require phantom power and are fairly delicate but they do work well.

Re: Bartlett mics:

Since a few of you have mentioned them, I have one a got several years ago for my acoustic guitar and was very happy with it. Would it work well on my mandolin? Or would I need to use Bartlett's mando-specific mic?

9. The following members say thank you to mikerofone for this post:

The other nice thing about the DPA; which not many people seem to realise, is that, if you change your mind and want to use a mic on a stand, DPA produce a mic-stand adaptor for this very purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by mikerofone View Post
    Re: Bartlett mics:

Since a few of you have mentioned them, I have one a got several years ago for my acoustic guitar and was very happy with it. Would it work well on my mandolin? Or would I need to use Bartlett's mando-specific mic?

I would try it out and see what it sounds like. As far as I know Bruce Bartlett tailors the mic frequency response in the different models for different application. If so, there should not be to big a difference in the mandolin mic vs guitar mic that can not be treated with a bit EQ (low frequency content), if ever necessary.
    Ellis F5 Special Deluxe custom
    Anton Krutz F5
    Lawrence Smart H 5 Mandola
    Gibson K 2 Mandocello
    Northfield mahogany arch top Octave Mandolin

guitars, banjo, dobro, weissenborn, pedal steel, fretless bass, upright bass

Hi Mandolinian,
    It would be easiest to recommend the microphones if we knew the application. Is this for home use, recording or on stage performance. Loud environments or quieter venues? I have both the DPA and audio technical clip ons. The DPA is better but cost wise I do not think it is worth 4 times the price. The DPA does have the microphone boom stand accessory approximately ($45) but the Audio technical could easily be attached a stand using either they clip on alligator clip or by simply using electrical tape. Many people are very happy with the Audio Technica. I only purchased a used DPA because I found it for a very cheap price. For my needs the Audio Technica is adequate. The mounting device for the DPA is much better designed (my opinion!).
    Many Audio Technica users purchase the DPA mounting accessory and use it for mounting the gooseneck although you have to easily modify it by using adding a simple nylon electrical tie to secure the gooseneck to the adapter groove.

13. The following members say thank you to Barry Canada for this post: