Thread: Junk Late 40s A50- Bonus S-O-L Tailpiece!

Default Junk Late 40s A50- Bonus S-O-L Tailpiece!

I imagine this could be revived- a nice learner luthier project. The Stradolin tailpiece cover might be worth a bit, too!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17526908313...sAAOSwBClicyVj

Default Re: Junk Late 40s A50- Bonus S-O-L Tailpiece!

I saw that the other day and made note of the SOL tailpiece cover.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

Whenever I see an instrument like this one, I wonder what in its sad history ever could have led to the current state of ruin. Left in a damp basement? A hot attic? Out in the rain?

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

What is that, a piece of TS or similar affixed over the tailpiece cover? That can't be standard - or is it? Might be able to make a few picks out of that.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

It's plastic or celluloid that was used on the Strad-O-Lin mandolins of a certain age. It matched the pickguard. Removing it would simply give you a Waverly style cloud tailpiece cover with two rivet holes in it. They are very delicate and obviously sought after. My Strad-O-Lin has the matched cover and pickguard.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010004.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	200981  
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

6. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by rickbella View Post
    Whenever I see an instrument like this one, I wonder what in its sad history ever could have led to the current state of ruin. Left in a damp basement? A hot attic? Out in the rain?
    From the tuner brass and steel parts, I think damp, and the discoloration on the back, some mold too. The case should be moldy too, but maybe it was wiped clean. By 1960 the glue used could be anything as well, and might have been susceptible.
    Agree that it’s a prime candidate for practice, having not quite enough value for professional attention, but still could be a good sounding instrument, and appears all there. The self-disassembly is maybe even helpful.

To me, bid level right now seems a little steep for five days out and mold. From my experience, I don't think you can ever fully get rid of mold on porous surfaces. And yes, I've tried ozone.

The SOL tailpiece is nice.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    It's plastic or celluloid that was used on the Strad-O-Lin mandolins of a certain age ... They are very delicate and obviously sought after.
    Thanks! I had no idea. This is one reason I ask "stupid" questions - I'm curious by nature, and am always looking to learn.

It's fascinating to learn that brands other than Gibson inspire obsessive behavior among collectors. I wouldn't have thought something like this would be such a collector's item, but you know, information from one person helps dispel ignorance in another. Live and learn.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Many Strad-O-Lin mandolins have a very keen following and price to match! I don't know if the price for this one is way too high- it is expensive. On another note, as the firm that made these instruments has never been positively identified but the engraved tailpiece on this one is a design used by Oscar Schmidt.Of course, it may not be original to the mandolin. I have an OS -or its successor company made mandolin- it is clearly a Stella and it was sold by Peter Sorkin and it has the same tailpiece and Peter Sorkin distributed the Strad-O-Lin. The tailpiece with the celluloid is seen on many mandolins with the Kluson tuners under the large cover plate which was a very early 1940s innovation which was fairly short-lived- and this helps date those mandolins.
    https://reverb.com/item/3391460-rare...excellent-cond

FIDDLES with STRADOLINS your_diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    Many Strad-O-Lin mandolins have a very keen following and price to match! I don't know if the price for this one is way too high- it is expensive. https://reverb.com/item/3391460-rare...excellent-cond
    $1,300 might seem a little high but it is marked SOLD! Also, it is one of the cleanest high end models and he had the neck straightened and had a reinforcement rod installed under the fretboard and replaced the bridge with a Cumberland Acoustic ebony bridge and had a new nut installed (bet all that wasn't cheap).

Stradolin's aren't the only vintage instruments to loose their 'sleeper' status. I remember a time in the 1980's when nobody wanted a Gibson model O guitar for $1,000.00 and you could buy an Ampeg Baby Bass for $700.00.

"If I could turn back time" -- did I just quote Cher? Oh Lord!

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    ...It's fascinating to learn that brands other than Gibson inspire obsessive behavior among collectors...
    I traded tailpieces with another Cafe member; he'd taken one labeled "Victoria" off an old mandolin; I own a B & J Victoria bowl-back (probably made by Lyon & Healy), which had a plain tailpiece. He didn't attach a great deal of value to the "Victoria" label, while I thought it was just the thing to put on a Victoria instrument. So we swapped.

There's a certain satisfaction in getting even a mediocre instrument "just right," with original "this" and authentic period "that." Might be a bit obsessive, but might also enhance market value if and when it's ever sold. You see car restorers hiking up prices on "numbers matching" examples, even though driving and performance-wise, one small-block Chevy probably behaves just like another.

I guess one of the reasons markets can seem weird, is that many collector-types are weird as well.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

13. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

FIDDLES with STRADOLINS your_diamond's Avatar

There is another one of those absolutely gorgeous Stradolin Artist Deluxe in the Mandolin Cafe classifieds https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/187326#187326 it's similar to this one https://reverb.com/item/3391460-rare...excellent-cond mentioned above. There is no data on production numbers but I think it's safe to say these are rare. At $895 it's a bit more reasonable than the $1,300 one that sold on Reverb, though it has some finish flaws (that might be worth fixing). The listing states 1949 though I believe it is from the 1930's. Lovely SOL!