Thread: Back in the game on a budget

Default Back in the game on a budget

Years ago, I played around with mandolins for a bit. I started with a cheap Kentucky, moved up to a Mid-Mo flattop, before finally upgrading to a Breedlove Quartz OF. I am primarily a guitar player, but enjoyed learning a second instrument...until a thumb injury made playing on the tiny neck very painful. I sold off my last mando.

Now, with a no-longer-painful thumb, I got a hankering to pick it back up, so I've been keeping an eye out for a cheap but reasonably decent quality mandolin. Today, I snagged a Mid-Mo M8 on eBay for two bills:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/31397957883...p2047675.l2557

I know this is their "travel size" mando. But while I would have preferred one of the full-size models, I couldn't pass it up for the price. It's missing the tailpiece cover, and I don't know whether that can be sourced separately, but I don't imagine that will bother me too much.

Default Re: Back in the game on a budget

You could probably contact Big Muddy to see about that part.

Regardless, congratulations!

Looks good, and the fretboard says someone skilled played it a fair amount, which is a good sign. Enjoy!

Blog Entries

Enjoy. That one looks great. That is not a "reasonably priced reasonably decent" mandolin alternative, it is a great mandolin. It may be something to tide you over till you get something else, but it has every chance of being your primary forever mandolin.
    Last edited by JeffD; May-11-2022 at 7:33pm.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Seems like a really good deal - have fun with it!
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

Blog Entries

NFI, I think Big Muddy is one of the more underrated mandolin brands around. A bit ago I got me an M-11 and I have played the potatoes out of it. Made it my avatar. And its quality, playability, sound, intonation is every bit as good as the much more decorated alternatives we all yak about.

Two reasons for this, I think - one is that flat top mandolins are not as often considered when newbies are choosing. So many newbie threads are filled with advice, get this particular mandolin and get that particular, and I am not able to get to all of them and add "have you considered a flatty?" "You might get more for your money with a flatty."

And the second reason, obviously, is that arch tops are more iconic to bluegrass, to which many gravitate.

And at old timey jams, when I pull out my M-11 the relief is almost palpable. They lose their anxiety that I am going to "bluegrass" all over their old time jam.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post: