Thread: Booster pedal into Loudbox

Default Booster pedal into Loudbox

I've read a number of threads on booster pedals, but have not yet found a satisfactory answer. I play my mandolins into a Fishman Loudbox. Sometimes I need a little boost for soloing. As the Loudbox has tone and anti-feedback controls I would prefer a simple boost pedal over an EQ pedal.
    I've looked at reviews here and at other sites and lots op possibilities have come up: MXR Line driver, Katana Cleanboost, TC Sparkle, Xotic EP - to name but a few.

Right now I have an EWS Subtle Volume, but that is a little too subtle for me. Soundwise I would like the booster to be as clean as possible and not add harshness to my sound. I play two very different mandolins: an Eastman OH (round sound) and a modern resonator mandolin (very present) so need a neutral booster that will serve them both (though not at the same gig: I usually play only one of them at gigs).

Any suggestions?

Default Re: Booster pedal into Loudbox

deleted
    Last edited by Perry; May-06-2022 at 2:34pm. Reason: duplicate

Quote Originally Posted by amsmichael View Post
    I've read a number of threads on booster pedals, but have not yet found a satisfactory answer. I play my mandolins into a Fishman Loudbox. Sometimes I need a little boost for soloing. As the Loudbox has tone and anti-feedback controls I would prefer a simple boost pedal over an EQ pedal.
    I've looked at reviews here and at other sites and lots op possibilities have come up: MXR Line driver, Katana Cleanboost, TC Sparkle, Xotic EP - to name but a few.

Right now I have an EWS Subtle Volume, but that is a little too subtle for me. Soundwise I would like the booster to be as clean as possible and not add harshness to my sound. I play two very different mandolins: an Eastman OH (round sound) and a modern resonator mandolin (very present) so need a neutral booster that will serve them both (though not at the same gig: I usually play only one of them at gigs).

Any suggestions?
    The EP Booster is a fine unit. Note that there two dip switches on the inside that you can tweak.

A Red Eye pre-amp has a very clean boost.

What KIND OF P/U in your mando? The Red Eye might do wonders for your tone.

- - - Updated - - -

The EP Booster is a fine unit. Note that there two dip switches on the inside that you can tweak. The boost will alter your tone though.

A Red Eye pre-amp has a very transparent boost.

What KIND OF P/U in your mando? The Red Eye might do wonders for your tone.

4. The following members say thank you to Perry for this post:

Are you planning to go into the mic channel? I agree with the RedEye, a great clean pre with boost. If you boost too much you may overdrive the input of the amp and distort.If that happens putting the pre into an aux send and receive would be the best option. I have use my RedEye into my Fishman mini in the mic channel and it works well.. I usually plug straight into the 1/4" so I can sing in the mic channel, but it colors the sound and is not quite what I want. I usually use this as a practice amp at home, out I go straight into the PA with the RedEye as it is much better sound.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

For clean signal I like the Tonebone PZ-PRE. It works for piezoelectric
    pick ups and has controls for setting the levels.

Whatever unit you use you need to practice with it. Otherwise once
    on stage the musician tends to forget. If you have a friendly sound
    person they will turn your instrument up when you have the lead.
    If they are following along they don't forget.
    Thanks,
    sounds_good

If you really just want a boost, then the Bright Eye is the thing you want. The Red Eye has the preamp features, if you want those.

https://www.fire-eye.com/brighteye
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

Thanks for your reactions so far. To answer the question about pickups: I have K&K pickups in both mandolins.

I've read many enthusiastic reactions about the Red-Eye pre-amp, but for now am quite happy with the Fishman Loudbox. The Bright-Eye booster is not for sale in Europe although the Fire-Eye website mentions Thomann (Germany) as a dealer.

Thanks for your reactions so far. To answer the question about pickups: I have K&K pickups in both mandolins.

I've read many enthusiastic reactions about the Red-Eye pre-amp, but for now am quite happy with the Fishman Loudbox. The Bright-Eye booster is not for sale in Europe although the Fire-Eye website mentions Thomann (Germany) as a dealer.
    I'm also quite happy with the K&K/Loudbox combination. I've used an older dual-input Radial PZ-Pre with boost in group situations, and it works great, but if I needed a simple boost, I'd likely choose the Xotic EP. The input impedance (1M ohm) matches the K&K, and the DIP switches *should* help to keep the signal uncolored. NFI - Just a former happy owner of a couple of Xotic's pedals.
    Monte

Northfield F2S
    Weber Yellowstone Octave F

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Consider getting a Boss AD-10. It really extends your tonal control (preamp, eq) and puts it at your feet, or at your side as you choose. It is the perfect complement to my older Loudbox. I can keep my amp plate reverb where I like it, add in delay and chorus as I wish, and yes, hit that boost when I need. In many ways it's (loosely) the acoustic version of the Boss TAE.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

Question Re: Booster pedal into Loudbox

Loudbox have an EFX Loop??

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Loudbox have an EFX Loop??

One for each channel ....
    Monte

Northfield F2S
    Weber Yellowstone Octave F

I Suppose.. put the volume pedal in the EFX loop for the instrument channel ?
    it's Line level right? so lots of guitar stuff should work.. presets for Max & Minimum ( above zero )

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

If you're not wed to the idea of a pedal boost, JJB makes an outboard volume knob. 1/4" male jack goes into the instrument at the strap peg and the cord plugs into the female. Set the knob for your "normal" volume and then reach down and boost to 10 for your solo work. Cost about $50USD.

I picked it up due to different output volumes of my instruments and not being able to quickly adjust the trim on the Tonedexter after switching from one to the other.
    Being right is overrated. Doing right is what matters.

Northfield F5S Blacktop
    Pono MND-20H

Thanks for the suggestion of the JJB Voljack. However, as far as I can see it's not for sale in Europe and importing from the US has become very costly due to taxations. I will look for similar solutions form other brands to widen my options. Meanwhile a booster in the EFX channel still seems the most practical solution.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

@mandroid: Would you prefer a volume pedal over a booster pedal? If so, why?

A volume pedal is nothing more than a volume pot on your instrument. That seems to work quite well in most circumstances.

Personally? I don't care ...

I just thought searching was too much DIY, as seems common with younger people..

& I had time to kill ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Very flattering to be labeled as 'younger people' - you made my day! Was actually born in 1951, so now have time enough for searching.

Very flattering to be labeled as 'younger people' - you made my day! Was actually born in 1951, so now have time enough for searching.
    Welcome to Geezerdome, I was born in 1950.

22. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Resident Hack

While I have and do use boost (Originally, Red-Eye into Loudbox, now Baggs Venue) I can more greatly recommend "Manual"

Turn up as loud as you need to be during your breaks. Then simply play with your lightest touch during the parts you aren't soloing. When you dig in, you'll get that boost. The added bonus is that your tone during your regular backing work will be way better. Your playing will be better too.
    What I play
    2021 Skip Kelley Two-Point
    Eastwood 'Ricky'
    Morgan Monroe RT-1E
    Epiphone Genesis guitars
    Various Basses

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture