Thread: Mandolin apps on adroid for smartphone

Default Mandolin apps on adroid for smartphone

Hi

Hope everyone is staying safe in these continuing uncertain times. I am in Australia

I have switched from old iphone to galaxy s22 with android. The google play store lists some apps when I search mandolin but it is hard to know from the thumbnails what they do. Most cost several dollars so trial is not an option. I was wondering whether anyone had any recommendations or advice. I dont need a tuner but I am open to trying out hardcopy substitutes for references, charts etc

Warm regards/gary

Default Re: Mandolin apps on adroid for smartphone

Quote Originally Posted by electric bassist View Post
    Hi

Hope everyone is staying safe in these continuing uncertain times. I am in Australia

I have switched from old iphone to galaxy s22 with android. The google play store lists some apps when I search mandolin but it is hard to know from the thumbnails what they do. Most cost several dollars so trial is not an option. I was wondering whether anyone had any recommendations or advice. I dont need a tuner but I am open to trying out hardcopy substitutes for references, charts etc

Warm regards/gary
    Its unclear what type of apps you are looking for. What apps were you using on your iPhone?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGinNJ View Post
    Its unclear what type of apps you are looking for. What apps were you using on your iPhone?
    On the iphone I didnt have any mandolin apps. I had one general app - circle of fifths but I deleted it when I got a circle of fifths watch: https://www.zazzle.com/circle+of+fifths+watches

I can recommend 'Fretboard Learn' and 'Scales Learn', you can select mandolin as your instrument, among others. Although not mandolin-specific, I can also recommend 'Music Theory Helper' and 'Key Signature Quiz', I found both pretty useful. All of the four mentioned are free, with ads.
    Lastly, I've been pretty happy with Earmaster, it's more curriculum oriented, but I feel like I learned the most from it due to its structure. Again, not mandolin specific, and this one I believe you will have to pay for on Android (they recently released the app version that I didn't try, I bought the Windows version).
    That's about as far as I got in my search, I don't believe there's really any apps solely dedicated to the mandolin, at least not when I was looking through google play.
    Hope that helps.
    2008 Phoenix Neoclassical
    2018 Lowden F50 Bog Oak/Lutz
    1965 Guild Starfire VI

Not Mandolin-specific, but I use the Amazing Slowdowner on my Android device.

You can change speed and pitch of songs and it can pull songs from your Spotify playlist.

It's not free, but I find it very helpful for learning songs by ear.

Quote Originally Posted by gfury View Post
    Not Mandolin-specific, but I use the Amazing Slowdowner on my Android device.

You can change speed and pitch of songs and it can pull songs from your Spotify playlist.

It's not free, but I find it very helpful for learning songs by ear.
    If you want free, Music Speed Changer works nearly as well as Amazing Slowdowner