Thread: My vintage Gibson A-50 has a hard time staying in tune

Default My vintage Gibson A-50 has a hard time staying in tune

I have a number of mandolins and this one, a 1935 A-50, consistently has a problem staying in tune. I have lubricated the nut and saddle with graphite, installed Golden Era tuners and I still have a difficult time. I love the tone of this instrument but because it goes out so easily, I seldom play it at gigs or other events.

Any ideas about anything else I could do to help this problem?

Default Re: My vintage Gibson A-50 has a hard time staying in tune

Strings could be pinched in the slots. When it goes out of tune does it go sharp or flat? What gauge of strings?
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Teacher, repair person

If pops' advice does not work, you will need to find a good repairman and have it inspected for loose braces. Often during the 1930's through 1950's, Gibson did not mix and apply their glue very well. We frequently see loose braces in Gibsons from those periods.

You will need to find a person who is highly experienced in restoration work. Such repairs can be difficult and you only get one shot at doing it right working through the f-holes. The friendly neighborhood fix-it man may not have the knowledge, experience, or tools to handle such work. If the repair is poorly executed, the instrument would have to be opened to fix it correctly.

I am using medium light strings, usually goes sharp...

- - - Updated - - -

Good advice, thanks

Usually if it goes sharp it's sticking in the nut slots. Have someone file them for the correct gauges of the strings you are using.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Thanks for the advice, I will do that.

Just so I know for the future... What if it goes flat? What does that indicate?

Could be a whole host of things. Hopefully, just (newish) strings stretching but it could be anything from slipping tuners to a collapsing top or a problem with the neck joint. You probably don't want/need to go there! You'd expect strings to go flat as you play but, then, it depends how often you check and adjust your tuning.