Thread: Nylon-string mandolin

Default Nylon-string mandolin

Hi friends, can anyone recommend a mandolin specifically made for nylon strings? Actually, probably only 4 strings? I know there is a Cremonese gut/nylon strung that is lovely. Mandolino with 12 strings. Any others? I think Mandolele Bill Griffen used to build. I'm curious if you have played a nylon-string mandolin. Classical guitars have nylon strings, so do 'ukuleles. Can't mandolins be built to support nylon and still sound lovely? I have problematic hands (autoimmune issues and arthritis) - I hate to give up playing the mandolin, but I struggle now with steel strings. Thanks!
    Jill G
    Weber Bridger F
    Weber Aspen 2

Question Re: Nylon-string mandolin

Radim Zinkle had one made. I tried it 20+ years ago .. he always had a preference for wide necks anyhow..

maybe add a tail piece to a cheap uke to not rely on the bridge glue job..?
    Or a Fluke banjo uke?

'Kawlija' my wooden headed Slingerland 20's banjo uke rescue , job. has 1M Aquila strings on it

Not snapping strings to attempt to reach high E, so it's in in an E B F# C# tuning ..

Aquila, in Italy, serves the Baroque era replica instrument players , there is where you find nylon string mandolins used.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

3. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

Default Re: Nylon-string mandolin

James Wilson of Red Valley mandolins makes a four string nylon specific model, the AMW nylon. I haven’t played one, but I know his flattop mandolins are highly regarded.

http://www.redvalleymandolins.com/mandolin-amw-nylon
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    Northfield F5S
    Northfield Calhoun
    Eastman 305

Teacher, repair person

I would think that a lot of the old lightly built Chicago cant-top mandolins might respond well to nylon strings. You would have to find a way to ensure that the tailpiece doesn't cut through the strings, though.

Likes quaint instruments poul hansen's Avatar

I have Aquilas on my Mandolinetto. My tailpiece has the tradiional (4) "hooks" but also 2 rounded knobs, which I use, to protect the strings. I had 1 string break when installing them, but immediately got a whole new set from Aquila. It's been stringed up now for ½ year without problems and I like the sound, especially for (trying to) playing classical tunes.
    They do of course stretch more initially than steel.

Why would you want a mandolin made for nylon strings? They excert a much lower pressure on the mandolin than steel, so the only issue could be the tailpiece and maybe a bit of filing on the saddles.

I did plan to tie a round bar to the hooks and then the strings around the bar but that wasn't necessary.

Or put shrink tube around the hooks or the string through a small tube and then around the hooks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220510_113251.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	392.3 KB 
ID:	201013
    Last edited by poul hansen; May-10-2022 at 4:53am.
    Kentucky KM-805..........2 Hora M1086 Portuguese II(1 in car)
    Hora M1088 Mandola.....
    Richmond RMA-110..... .Noname Bearclaw
    Pochette Franz Janisch...5 Pocket............Alfredo Privitera pocket
    Puglisi Pocket 1908........Puglisi 1912.......Puglisi 1917
    3 Mandolinetto ..............C.Garozzo
    1 Mandriola...................Cannelo G. Mandriola...Böhm Waldzither 1921
    Johs Møller 1945............Luigi Embergher Studio 1933
    Marma Seashell back......Luigi Embergher 5bis 1909

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to poul hansen For This Useful Post:

if you don't mind a bigger instrument check out the nui uke, use guitar strings nice low sound

The late Walt Kuhlman (Gypsy's Music) made two mandolins specifically for nylon strings. I had the pleasure of owning one of them for a time. It was a wonderful instrument. It had fan-bracing like a classical guitar.

I am currently building a nylon-strung piccolo mandolin. This one has a cherry back and sides, maple neck. The top will be a bit thinner than my usual piccolos and it will have fan-bracing like the one I had from Walt Kuhlman. I'll post pictures as it nears completion. Next I'll build a mandolin to match it. Nylon works well for the music my duo plays. I like the sound.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

One cheap option would be to buy a soprano ukulele and tune it as a mandolin. Aquila sells strings for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven_bxl View Post
    One cheap option would be to buy a soprano ukulele and tune it as a mandolin. Aquila sells strings for this.
    I just did this as a travel mandolin, it works pretty well. The string spacing wider than my mandolin though, so some of the 4-finger chords are a bit harder to do.

I found a 4- nylon string A style mandolin:
    http://www.redvalleymandolins.com/mandolin-amw-nylon

Edit: Oh, somehow I missed that this was already recommended. It's the only one I've seen of this exact style though - might be worth checking out.