Thread: Truss Rod Cover Slightly Rattling on Northfield A5 Special

Default Truss Rod Cover Slightly Rattling on Northfield A5 Special

Hello!

I recently acquired a Northfield A5 Special and this morning noticed a slight rattle or buzz which seemed to be coming off the truss rod cover on some notes.

Any tips on alleviating this? This is the first instrument I've owned with a truss rod cover in the headstock.
    Northfield A5 Special
    Deering Goodtime Open Back

Default Re: Truss Rod Cover Slightly Rattling on Northfield A5 Special

If you touch the truss rod cover does it stop? See if the screws holding the cover on are loose and tighten them up snug. If the noise doesn't stop when you touch the cover it may be the rod itself. Remove the cover and see if the nut is loose or tight to the mandolin by trying to tighten it slightly. Might check your relief first by fretting the G string at the first and 12th fret and see if there is any space between the string and the fret around the 6th or 7th fret. If there is space tighten the truss rod till it is nearly flat, flat is ok too.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Adrian Minarovic

The last mandolin with such rattle I had in hands (few weeks ago) had simply loose trussrod nut. Tightening was all that was needed.
    Often such buzzes can originate anywhere on the instrument and be heard in another place so locating them may be difficult. You may have a loose nut or tuner button or strings touching each other or ...
    Just remove the cover and check if the TR nut is not loose as the first option.
    Adrian

Teacher, repair person

For several years now, I've encountered many new instruments that didn't have their truss rods snugged up before they were shipped.