Thread: Sweet deal on a Loar LM-520-VS

Default Sweet deal on a Loar LM-520-VS

First post here. I’m a longtime guitar player (30+ years) and just picked up the mandolin to learn to play some blues, raggy, and Americana stuff, and I’m really enjoying it. I tried ordering a cheap Kentucky from Amazon, but after dealing with damage because of flimsy, shoddy packaging (don’t order Saga instruments from Amazon!), and then getting a substandard replacement with a high action and loose bracing, I decided to set my sights a little higher, and towards Reverb.

Searching this forum helped me settle on the Loar LM-520 as being right in the pocket of price/quality. I found a new, slightly blemished factory B-stock one from a Reverb store called The Guitar Man Store (in Maryland) for $419 + $25 shipping. That seemed like a good deal, as they typically run $599 new. I placed the order, and they had it on my doorstep in 2 days, very carefully double-boxed (no case). The blemishes (some cracking in the lacquer on the headstock right where it meets the nut, and I noticed one small spot near the upper f-hole) are barely noticeable. I lowered the action a bit, and it plays and sounds terrific. It has a lovely bit of flame on the back and the spruce top has a beautiful straight grain to it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4AC0FEE7-2941-467C-AC34-7DB1DA0A05C9.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	201083

Right after I ordered this one I noticed they relisted the item at the same price, and it was another one they had with a similar minor finish blemish. I know a lot of you guys probably have serious professional-grade instruments, but if any of you wanted a good upper-lower level or “beater” mandolin, feel safe picking one of these up from the Guitar Man Store.

https://reverb.com/item/53102371-the...ntent=53102371
    Last edited by mretrain; May-13-2022 at 4:28pm. Reason: Add image

Default Re: Sweet deal on a Loar LM-520-VS

Name:	111DCE09-5038-4D3D-8E4B-94771308CF3D.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	684.2 KB 
ID:	201084

Name:	3C0DC8D7-AF9D-4D0F-B88E-760C53CB6AAF.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	326.8 KB 
ID:	201085

Name:	613ABE33-DCB9-4563-82D4-A67ABC689458.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	542.3 KB 
ID:	201086

Default Re: Sweet deal on a Loar LM-520-VS

Well happy NMD (new mando day). My first playable mandolin was a Loar A style, and yeah, it kept me going a long time. You can get the free setup pdf from forum member Rob Meldrum to take measurements of string height, relief etc https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...99s-setup-book

I ordered a few mandolins from amazon, they always showed up loose in a box witha small amount of crumpled up paper but survived the trip somehow except the winter shipments thru Chicago always had top cracks by the time i got them.
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds