Thread: NMD and Intro

Default NMD and Intro

Hello all I have been lurking here for a while. About 6 months ago the mandolin bug hit me hard even though I had never played one. I have played guitar for a bout 10 years, but never mandolin. I search and could never pull the trigger. Then a 2008 Collings MT popped up on the classifieds and took the plunge.

Then not really looking a Girouard popped up for a great price. It's #33 Carpathian Spruce over Maple.

So now I own 2 and I am just learning to play. Boy when I fall hard, I fall hard!

Both play and sound incredible (Much better than I can play) but I look forward to the journey!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3285.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	154.8 KB 
ID:	201088   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3286.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	153.0 KB 
ID:	201087  

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to slaminsam For This Useful Post:

Default Re: NMD and Intro

Welcome to the Forum, and enjoy playing your new mandolins. As you've no doubt noticed, folks at the Cafe are very helpful, so don't be shy with your questions.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

Good choices. Everyone needs a backup
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

No oval?
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pheffernan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    No oval?
    At this rate, only a matter of time before a snakehead is added
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    Northfield F5S
    Northfield Calhoun
    Eastman 305

8. The following members say thank you to Jcdraayer for this post:

Welcome from another happy Girouard owner and well done on two great first mandolins! Nice instruments definitely facilitate learning, great to have you here!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

You have just embarked on a very fulfilling journey equipped with two very fine instruments. Good luck and I hope we will see you posting some examples soon - have a look at the Song-A-Week Group and see what is on offer there.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

Those are some nice looking instruments! Have fun!
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

Congrats! And welcome! Those two beautys should keep you on target...

Nice looking mandolins. This question for you: If circumstances were such that you could only keep one, which would it be?

If you haven't heard yet, you'll find the mandolins from your makers are pretty consistent. Not at all with Gibson ovals. Finding the right one can become an expensive education. 'Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by dan in va View Post
    Nice looking mandolins. This question for you: If circumstances were such that you could only keep one, which would it be?

If you haven't heard yet, you'll find the mandolins from your makers are pretty consistent. Not at all with Gibson ovals. Finding the right one can become an expensive education. 'Nuff said.
    That is a really tough question for me. First off I am fortunate to be able to have both. That said, sound wise the Collings is mellower, the Girouard is louder and has more "bark. But I need to change the strings on the Collings. I had to change the strings on the Girouard as one of the "E" strings was broken and they were pretty old.

The Collings is very close to mint condition and does not seem to have been played a lot. The Girouard on the other hand has and that may attribute to the sound differences. Also, the Collings has an Engleman Spruce top, Maple back and sides, ebony finger board, nitro finish vs the Girouard is Carpathian Spruce, Maple back and sides, rosewood finger board, varnish finish. Different builders and the internals may or may not be different. To my ears they di sound a little different, not in a bad way! Maybe I should through in the owners ears may be the biggest difference.

Blog Entries

Welcome to the Cafe!

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Welcome to the Cafe! Your MAS (mandolin acquisition syndrome) is off to a good start.
    As a fellow Girouard mandolin owner, I will tell you that if you have any questions about your mandolin, Max and Lauri are more than willing to answer. They are incredibly nice to deal with.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Nice looking instrument!

Beautiful! And welcome to the cafe!
    Come check out the newbies social group, it’s where all the cool kids hang out

Quote Originally Posted by slaminsam View Post
    So now I own 2 and I am just learning to play. Boy when I fall hard, I fall hard!

Both play and sound incredible (Much better than I can play) but I look forward to the journey!
    I had a similar journey and started playing mando (after decades of guitar) on a really nice mandolin, far better than I deserved. The great thing is, now I spend hours looking at pretty mandolins; but, I never actually buy any because I just want to play the one I have, and a new one will eat into that time. If I had started with a cheapie, I would have gone through a few upgrades in the past year or two for sure.

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dan in va View Post

Although I'm on my first Gibson oval and love it. Luck of the draw, I guess.

Still need a sunburst OMI Dobro mando to complement my sunburst OMI Dobro guitar, though! And a Harmony electric batwing to complement my Strats.

Welcome, Sam! Your house will be cluttered with mandos in no time. I a good way!
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

21. The following members say thank you to Charlie Bernstein for this post:

NDO 

Blog Entries

Congrats on the two fine new (to you) instruments and welcome to the cafe!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Blog Entries

Welcome, SlaminSam! Nothing wrong with skipping the entry level mandos and picking either one of the ones you got. Or both!

ps: How's the golf game holding up?
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com