Thread: Master 8 Japan Infinix picks!

Default Master 8 Japan Infinix picks!

All I can say is, "Wow."

I've been searching for my perfect mandolin pick for the last couple of years, and doubt the search will cease because of my discovery of the Master 8 Infinix line of picks, but it will certainly slow it down.

A bit of background: I am a professional Hawaiian musician that gets paid to play ukulele and sing Hawaiian music all around central California as a solo & pick-up performer. I've invented and successfully used my own flat pick that uses velcro to wrap around the index finger, for well over 15 years, on both guitar and ukulele.

When I started seriously practicing mandolin about 2 years ago I realized that my invented pick was unsatisfactory for mandolin because I play uke and guitar with the pick tilted opposite to the way mandolinists use. What I mean is I normally play with the pick edges tilted toward my right foot and left shoulder. Mandolin picking does the opposite - the pick edges are tilted to the left foot and the right shoulder.

I've put the time in practicing the mandolin pick hold and have got good enough at it to be able to tremolo on demand, mostly.

In my search for the best mandolin pick for me, I've tried everything I could get my hands on (I own 6 Blue Chips!).

My favorite picks at this moment are the Master 8 Japan Infinix picks!

When I first bought them several months ago they only had one model, the creamy, with streaks of white colored ones. My favorites were the green 1mm triangle and standard shapes. They produce a bright, clear tone on my mandolins and slide easily over the strings with a slight pick noise.

Recently their other picks have become available in the US so I ordered several sampler packs.

The new semi-transluscent picks (not creamy or streaked) blew me away! They slide even more effortlessly over the strings and add more of the mid-range than the cream colored picks while maintaining an excellent balance of low-mid-highs with little to no pick noise. They are also produce a louder sound. And, let me re-emphasize that they slide effortlessy over the strings! I was cranking out some super fast Irish tunes and tremoloed hymns for about 3 hours this evening using the 1mm standard pick. I only stopped because my body told me to knock it off or suffer over-use pain!

I'm posting not just to share my joyful experience but to hopefully stave off my own personal curse of having something I love disappear just because I love it.

Seriously, if you are also on a mandolin pick hunt, give the Master 8 Japan Infinix a try. They are reasonably priced at $12 for 6 picks in the US and you will help insure that they won't disappear from the US market!

In case you're wondering, I am not affiliated in any way with these pick makers!

Is anyone else here a fan?

Thanks for reading this far.

Aldon
    Last edited by daLimuHead; May-15-2022 at 1:33am. Reason: Typo

Default Re: Master 8 Japan Infinix picks!

I checked their web page. Most shapes only go up to 1.0 mm; the jazz picks are available up to 1.2 mm. That is too thin for me. I've tried almost every brand of pick, every material available, and most all the standard shapes. On ukulele and bass I prefer just fingers, but on mandolin, mandola, octave mandolin, mandocello and several guitars I've settled on 1.5 mm Gravity Gold PEEK picks. The tan ones, not the colored "gold" picks which just don't feel or sound the same

I'll suggest that until you try Gravity Gold PEEK picks your search for the perfect mandolin pick is still not over....