Thread: 1975 Gibson F5 advice

Default 1975 Gibson F5 advice

Hello everyone,

I’m hoping you guys can help me out. I have the opportunity to purchase a mandolin for much cheaper than the advertised price because I’m close to the seller, but still a good chunk of money. The problem is most of what I read on them is negative. I understand that every mandolin is different but what I’m concerned about is the resale. Not looking to make money but not looking to lose money either. Any information or advice anyone could give would be appreciated!
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; May-16-2022 at 10:05am.

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: 1975 Gibson F5 advice

In short, 1970's F-5's are a very poor choice to buy for re-sale no matter what the price. These were the weakest instruments Gibson ever built, and competent players are simply not interested in them. As a result, the pool of potential buyers is very small.

3. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

lenf12 

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    In short, 1970's F-5's are a very poor choice to buy for re-sale no matter what the price. These were the weakest instruments Gibson ever built, and competent players are simply not interested in them. As a result, the pool of potential buyers is very small.

Thank you so much for the advice!

One more opinion -- you DO NOT want a Gibson from 1975.
    Many better choices out there.

6. The following members say thank you to J.Albert for this post:

lenf12 

Typically the 70's Gibson mandolins are rather heavily built and so are not very loud nor responsive tonally. It was in response to many instrument manufacturers attempts to avoid warranty claims; build it heavier and it won't break. It won't sound very good either, however they can be re-worked by an experienced luthier who can remove the back, re-graduate the top from the inside, replace the tone bars and put it all back together so it's unnoticeable. Randy Wood is one of the early pioneers of this approach to remediation but now there are a few other folks who have adopted this skill. It is not cheap so you would have to factor in that cost should you decide to buy this mandolin. Another problem with the 70's Gibson mandolins is the "dreaded binding rot" (see attached photo). This also can be rectified and again, it is not cheap. Should you buy it? Only you can decide. How much can you get it for and would you be willing to sink money into it to make it "right"? I have a 1956 F-12 with what I believe is a 70's era Gibson neck replacement (binding rot). Fortunately Gibson kept the original 50's fingerboard which I quite like but the head stock was like looking at Miss America with teeth missing.

As J. Albert says above there are "many better choices out there" but if you can buy it for a great price, it can be made to look, feel and sound like a much better mandolin which could enhance the resale value. Choose wisely...

Binding rotClick image for larger version. 

Name:	F Headstock 4 004.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	147.9 KB 
ID:	201136 RepairedClick image for larger version. 

Name:	F-12 Headstock Refurbished 12-07-21.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	201137

If you are just trying to avoid losing money at resale, you should pass imho.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
    Last edited by lenf12; May-18-2022 at 12:10pm.

I have very limited experience with 1970s F5s in that I’ve only played 1, but I remember it being no better that a solid top Morgan Monroe hanging on the wall next to it…and that’s saying something. Unless this one has had a Randy Wood type treatment I agree with passing.

Am I missing something here? There is another post (scroll down a few posts to find it) by the same OP that has been scrubbed by the moderators(?) because they believe that the OP and the E-Bay posting are from the same person. Am I just being cynical or is this someone touting their own E-bay ad?
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Ibanez M-522
    Gold Tone GM 10 Frypan

Quote Originally Posted by JiminRussia View Post
    Am I missing something here? There is another post (scroll down a few posts to find it) by the same OP that has been scrubbed by the moderators(?) because they believe that the OP and the E-Bay posting are from the same person. Am I just being cynical or is this someone touting their own E-bay ad?
    Potential buyer lives near the seller. That's why he's interested. Nothing suspicious about that. I'd be wanting to try a 70s F4 in person if I lived nearby too.
    Last edited by Bazz Jass; May-19-2022 at 12:05am.