Thread: Duffey's Country Gentleman mandolin

Default Duffey's Country Gentleman mandolin

In pictures he has a blonde F5. Anyone know what it was?

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Default Re: Duffey's Country Gentleman mandolin

There must be something in the good Colorado water that makes you ask these questions (also your topics in the other recent threads). I`ve asked myself the same ones at times. I guess you mean the album "Country Songs Old And New" https://folkways.si.edu/the-country-...um/smithsonian which is a great album by the way.

Do we overthink or overgeek the mandolins? I was allways very interested in the seemingly elaborate Duffy scroll mandolin. In the end I found out that it is a post war F-12 that John Duffey obviously modified to his taste with fingerboard inlays. Check out the wonderful Akira Otsuka series on John Duffey´s mandolins out:

I do believe he also had a pre war F-something (that was stolen at some point?) I never got around to finding out more about that instrument but I´d like to know.
    Olaf

That is a great series from Akira Otsuka. I have not re watched that in some time.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

As was suggested in another thread I'm reading Neil Rosenberg's Bluegrass history and there are photo's in there. Blurry B&W photo's.

So the blonde F-12 or 7 or whatever was stolen. Must be out there somewhere and would be very recognizable.

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

For the record:
    - I do not know what the blonde F-5 style mandolin is.
    - I read somewhere that an F-style mandolin was stolen From John Duffey. If it was the F-12 (post war), he got it back. Otherwise... it´s still out there. I do think that because of the stolen F mandolin Duffey created his "Duck" mandolin (see/listen on "Act I")
    Olaf