Thread: Serenity-Handcrafted by James E Osberg

Default Serenity-Handcrafted by James E Osberg

Hey this is my first post here. Found this forum looking for some information on a mandolin I picked up.

This mandolin is an F style. The name on the headstock is Serenity and there is a badge on the back or the headstock that says "Handcrafted by James E Osberg".

Does anyone have any information on this piece? Any information on the luthier? The build quality is superb and would just like to know about the luthier and maybe some info on other instruments he has crafted. Not interested in selling I just want to know some history on this beautiful instrument.

Default Re: Serenity-Handcrafted by James E Osberg

That badge might be a clue that this was a kit. May have been a one-off. Found the fellow’s obit, but nothing else. If you post a few photos, further info may be possible.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0473.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	763.1 KB 
ID:	201126

My name is Dan,
    Jim was my dad, he passed away in 2008. He built that out in the garage in the late 80's - early 90's I would say. He was a hobbyist with woodworking, It was something he did to pass the time when he was going through treatment for alcoholism. He played guitar, banjo, mandolin along with other instruments. As far as I know that was the one and only piece he built. I'm glad it's in the hands of someone who will appreciate it because my brother who inherited it obviously did not. Thanks for posting this, I always wondered what happened to it after we closed the estate.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dan49035 For This Useful Post:

And to add “Serenity” was named after the Serenity Prayer, something he learned in AA. I think it was a kit build if I remember correctly.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dan49035 For This Useful Post: