Thread: Bluegrass or Old Time events in Los Angeles, June 2022?

Default Bluegrass or Old Time events in Los Angeles, June 2022?

Hello mandolin friends!

I will be traveling to Los Angeles for work from around June 11 until June 24, and I was wondering if there might be any jams, shows or pubs I should check out. I'm an intermediate mandolin player, and I'd be happy to do just about anything related to Bluegrass or Old Time, whether that's listening or participating in a jam or workshop.

Other than that, if anybody can recommend pubs or venues for Country, Bluegrass or other related music I'd be grateful. I'll be mostly around Venice and Glendale.

Default Re: Bluegrass or Old Time events in Los Angeles, June 2022?

About an hour south of LA is the Long Beach Dog Park jam on Saturday mornings at 10am, located at 5201 E. 7th St, Long Beach. Also on Saturday mornings at the same time is the jam at Mile Square Park located at 16801 Euclid Avenue, Fountain Valley. On the 1st and 3rd Mondays of each month is the bluegrass jam at Sammy's Original Bar at 23221 Lake Center Drive, Lake Forest. It starts at 6pm. Traffic leaving LA is very heavy at rush hour during the week and it might take you 3 hours to get there.

The biggest event happening in June is the Father's Day bluegrass festival, if you are willing to a 6 hr drive up north. It takes place on weekend of June 16-19. Here is the CBA website for more information:https://californiabluegrass.org
    There are multiple rest stops along Interstate Highway 5 where you can stop for gas or food. This helps make the drive easier.

Thanks for the detailed response, Lucas. I did in fact end up getting tickets and rented a car to go up to the Father's Day festival. Looks like it should be a great time!

Good to hear Norman. Have a great time!