Thread: Going to invest in a decent mandolin to last me years any recs?

Default Going to invest in a decent mandolin to last me years any recs?

Hey yall!

I just started playing mandolin a year ago and absolutely am in love! I found a really beat up one for $50 and have been using that, but I want something to last me for years and a baby to call my own.

Any recommendations? Obviously, looking for something that won't kill me financially, but I recently came into some money and to me this is an investment.

Thank you all!

Default Re: Going to invest in a decent mandolin to last me years any rec

Budget? I’ve always worked on the principle that you should spend as much as you can afford and I’ve yet to be proved wrong. Good instruments tend not to de-value and many years down the line they’re likely to be worth at least as much as you paid for them if not more. By way of example, nearly 50 years ago, I bought a new Martin guitar fof £190 and today it’s worth between five and ten times that figure.

Blog Entries

Budget would help focus suggestions, as $500 is a lifer to some and many times that for another.

A. How much ya wanna spend? Drop $150K on a Lloyd Loar Gibson F-5 and you pretty much have a "keeper." Most of us can't afford it, though.

B. Pick an instrument that you can access in person rather than buying on-line; if you're looking at one that's a distance away, arrange to go there and try it.

C. Think seriously about what you want in a "lifetime" instrument, and what kind of music you plan to play on it. Influences your choice of style.

D. Don't be surprised if you don't find a single Holy Grail instrument. Consider getting two lesser instruments, with different sounds and feels.

E. And don't be crushed if after five years, you decide that the "lifetime" instrument should be replaced. Compare wedding vows to the divorce rate...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

5. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Playing on the porch

When I first decided to stretch beyond my violins, I bought an Eastman 515. For the next five years, it was a superb instrument. I played that mandolin every day and finally started to believe that I'd like to push my skills on an even better mandolin. That's when I bought my Ellis. Go for something really good, like a mid-range Eastman, see what happens, and then take the next leap when appropriate. Right now, the Ellis is a whole lot better than me, but I'm working at doing my best to catch up on what it has to offer. Good luck on your search.
    ---
    2021 Ellis F5 Special #564 mandolin
    2016 Eastman MD515 mandolin
    1928 Ernst Heinrich Roth violin

7. The following members say thank you to GMorgan for this post:

As allenhopkins said, you may not find The One. My 3 are all previously owned and “decent” with unique personalities.

And do you want sound or look? Scrolls are iconic, but the extra cost doesn’t necessarily get you better sound quality or playability.

Some of us are always looking.
    Girouard A
    Silverangel A
    Eastman 615

9. The following members say thank you to A-board for this post:

Any instrument can last more than a lifetime. Look at all the old Kay's, Silvertone's, Stradolin's, etc. still being enjoyed.

There are many different types of players, collectors and owners out there. Some are on a constant catch-and-release quest and go through many instruments. Many people buy into the typical western mindset that we can shortcut the hard work of mastering a skill by buying the right (or just more) gear - this is the major cause of GAS/MAS. And I think we've all seen the videos of really good players making toy instruments sound great.

I've had the opportunity to play dozens of desirable instruments at festivals over the years to help me determine what features tend to give the tone, quality and playability I'm looking for. I certainly don't need or crave anything beyond what I currently have, which includes some vintage stuff and small shop builds (Sonny Morris and TJ Jessen).

You need to set a budget, based on how much you can really spend, and also keeping in mind what you plan to do with the instrument. As mentioned, one person's "lifer" budget might be someone else's camp instrument. And (this may seem ridiculous, but I know it happens), while you might think springing for a nice new [pick a name] that sets you back $10k, plus or minus, will you be able to assume the risks of taking it to casual jams or festivals and enjoy it, or will it become one of those case/closet "queens" that you'll be unable to really use? (I'd suggest you keep the $50 one for camping/canoe trips!)

The usual list of "nicer" instruments mentioned here, and a couple I'm familiar with, are the Asian manufactured ones from Kentucky, Eastman and Northfield, which go from under $1k up to around $6k these days. The used, and maybe some new, market for domestic brands starts somewhere below that upper end, and while I cast many a longing glance at the Ellis, Collings, and other new, respected shop/individual maker instruments, I know that I've already reached a point where I will pick the old Eastman for my travels because I don't want to contemplate trying to replace the Northfield. (I do take my NF out weekly to a local, small jam with friends, or just recently a kind-of gig at a senior community where the banjo player lives.)
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

Amazing how many of these threads started …and then the OP disappears
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    Amazing how many of these threads started …and then the OP disappears
    You said it. Talkin to the wall here.
    2009 Eastman 505
    2011 Collings MTO GT
    2008 Toyota Sienna
    2018 Sawchyn mandola

Mandoline or Mandolin: Similar to the lute, but much less artistically valuable....for people who wish to play simple music without much trouble —The Oxford Companion to Music