Thread: Stradolin bargain(?) alert

Default Stradolin bargain(?) alert

On Facebook marketplace, Worcester, Mass. area

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...type=top_picks

NFI.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

2. The following members say thank you to jaycat for this post:

Default Re: Stradolin bargain(?) alert

I'd love to look at it, just for general mandolin nosiness (and wondering if it's the same one that was previously on CL), but (imho) it's not worth joining facebook for.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue Rieter For This Useful Post:

It was in Asbury Park, NJ at one time if I'm reading the label right. I'm going to go out on a limb and say this might be one of the last of the real Strad-O-Lins made, that is commissioned by Sorkin and built by whomever they gave the contract to. The logo is unlike any other I've seen but the rest of it screams it's OK. The "original case" looks to be a 50's to 60's chipboard case sold through any distributor in the country. I suspect it might have been a United product and that would make sense because they were close to where Sorkin was and where this spent some time. The tuner bushings are funky but the tuners look right. One has a replaced screw. The bridge is old school Strad-O-Lin. The tailpiece cover is one that was around almost as long as the Cloud tailpiece cover. I don't know, it's an odd duck.

For posterity:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	279695640_5089054991181952_3666745936659702186_n.png 
Views:	101 
Size:	1,009.6 KB 
ID:	201139   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	279526355_5345199562207134_6584633837708427831_n.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	201140   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	279774119_4864891946970402_2712302535737807108_n.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	201141  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	280280681_3561159590674859_3833584417950929815_n.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	201142   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	279756984_5769697679713083_8772835524484755221_n.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	201143   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	280221429_5356012107783587_6691643340986793153_n.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	201144  

"It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

My link doesn't seem to work, but you can do the search. They only want $150 for it.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Quote Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
    My link doesn't seem to work, but you can do the search. They only want $150 for it.
    It works for me if I'm signed into Facebook.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

FIDDLES with STRADOLINS your_diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    it's an odd duck.
    Odd Duck... That's for sure.

The more Stradolins I look at (especially the off brand SOLs) the more I think there are several different companies that made them.

Also, there is a possibility this has laminated back and sides.

10. The following members say thank you to your_diamond for this post:

The one Dad bought new around 1955, now on my lap, has similarities and differences that could be lower trim configuration, different factory, later build. Mine has same tuners, same bridge, sans serif stencil name, shorter fretboard, different pickguard mounts (two screws into the top), seven bulge tailpiece, no binding, wood nut, no decay in the finish, canvas soft case.

I would assume that the last original Stradolins made had the later Waverly "bell end" shaped tuners as used by Harmony until about 1970 or so, when production ceased. I have seen a fair few with these tuners. The 1959 Peter Sorkin catalogue which shows Stradolins does not show the tuners, so that possible source of a date and a correlation is not available although it might be possible to match the appointments from the front but the illustrations are a bit small to really see how the name is rendered.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1959 Sorkin Catalogue.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	346.0 KB 
ID:	201153

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    It was in Asbury Park, NJ at one time if I'm reading the label right. I'm going to go out on a limb and say this might be one of the last of the real Strad-O-Lins made, that is commissioned by Sorkin and built by whomever they gave the contract to. The logo is unlike any other I've seen but the rest of it screams it's OK. The "original case" looks to be a 50's to 60's chipboard case sold through any distributor in the country. I suspect it might have been a United product and that would make sense because they were close to where Sorkin was and where this spent some time. The tuner bushings are funky but the tuners look right. One has a replaced screw. The bridge is old school Strad-O-Lin. The tailpiece cover is one that was around almost as long as the Cloud tailpiece cover. I don't know, it's an odd duck.

For posterity:
    Took 3 months for my Boston relatives to find a box big enough but I finally got this Friday.

The only reason I took a chance on this is Mike Edgerton said, "last of the real Strad-O-Lins". You did mean solid woods by that, didn't you? Well she is. The back needs regluing, that and with all the wear it's easy to see, it is solid. Two small top cracks (on either side of the tailpiece) are also getting cleated. Never seen inlayed logo and treble clef like this (on the headstock). Plus, the fancy tuner bushings look too proper for a mere Stradolin. FYI the back & sides are Very Dark Brown, not black (black back & sides usually means laminated, but there is a chance I'll be proved wrong on that too).

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    I'd love to look at it, just for general mandolin nosiness (and wondering if it's the same one that was previously on CL), but (imho) it's not worth joining facebook for.
    Definitely not worth joining facebook for! lol

Let's see, $150 for SOL plus $35 shipping (Boston to Sarasota by Pirateship.com, cheap) plus $15 for shipping peanuts (hey, they are biodegradable) plus $150ish for repairs & set-up = $350 and I need a pickguard bracket & pickguard, maybe...maybe not.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to your_diamond For This Useful Post:

I believe the (steam bent) back, seems to be trying to straighten out, to it's original flat shape. As it has become unglued (except close to the neck and at the tail block) and is sticking out a full millimeter beyond each side. Also needs two top cracks (on either side of the tailpiece) cleated so that heavier strings don't help the cracks extend (the cracks are hard to see and the tailpiece cover hid most of them). That old side crack isn't going anywhere. Once (Lenny Brooks, Great Sarasota Repairman) is done with her, she will be a wonderful player (hopefully) that can bang around for another 80 years. Won't have to worry about putting nicks and dings on her.

Soooo, why doesn't the top have the same problem, as the back? Could the top be carved?

Name:	675451447.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	263.0 KB 
ID:	202842   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5108.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	213.8 KB 
ID:	202843  

Soooo, why doesn't the top have the same problem, as the back? Could the top be carved?

Maybe the top has something pushing down on it, like strings.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard500 View Post

Maybe the top has something pushing down on it, like strings.
    Strings would never flatten a top, or would it? Oh look, a Stradolin with a flattened top and an enormous "CUSTOM" Bridge that looks more like a dam or a violin bridge.

Steam Bent Top? More than likely. The Stradolin above, more than likely a carved top with a steam bent back.

Name:	SOL1937ten.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	239.0 KB 
ID:	202858  
    Last edited by your_diamond; Aug-23-2022 at 8:52pm.