Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Worth repair?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Worth repair?

My understanding of what people are calling 'fake labels' is that they aren't about fakery as we would understand it.
    While with a luthier here setting up my fiddle I was told that labels were applied as a way of identifying which instruments were being copied by the luthier/factory.
    The top honchos of establishments would make pilgrimages to study renowned instruments negotiate and pay for access to study them or just the forms on which they were built, take measurements etc. On their return they would take their paper templates and make their own forms & begin making their Stradivarius or other noteworthy instrument. These then were sold to the dealers with the various years being instruments studied. Of course that works when there's a shop selling the latest range from a known luthier or factory. Once the punter walks out of the shop, forgets the details in their dotage, or kicks the bucket you've nothing to go on unless you're familiar with the stylistic quirks of the builder. These labels were used by individual as well as factory builders.

Anyway that's the background I was given to why there was a label on my very definitely piecework built late 1880s fiddle.
    Some of the traits that give away lower end piecework or mass output instruments from these large scale producers include the use of flaming over a candle to produce a false flame pattern in the wood, especially the sides. Plain wood was taken and prepared then passed back and forward over a candle to produce the effect. You can tell it has been done as it bears no relation to the grain of the wood and tends to have soft blurred edges. These pieces were also distressed post build to fit in with the patterning of the rest of the desired look. All of which are on my fiddle.

How much was deception or just standard practice when producing to market demands for a certain look expected of a Strad or other renowned maker copy, I have no idea.
    At the end of the day they had to shift off the racks when stacked alongside competitor instruments & a dealer had to feel confident their reputation would be intact afterwards.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Wow, I hope it turns out to be 'real'! I spent a bit of time browsing the violin forums and a huge percentage of instruments end up being mass produced in East Germany in the late 1800s. It is mind boggling how often this is the result when people go asking about a family heirloom and I keep hoping to see one that actually turns out to be authentic. I'm rooting for this one!
    Eastman MD-315

Quote Originally Posted by Beanzy View Post
    My understanding of what people are calling 'fake labels' is that they aren't about fakery as we would understand it.
    While with a luthier here setting up my fiddle I was told that labels were applied as a way of identifying which instruments were being copied by the luthier/factory....
    How much was deception or just standard practice when producing to market demands for a certain look expected of a Strad or other renowned maker copy, I have no idea...
    Whatever the original intention, even a fairly experienced used-goods or antique dealer can get fooled by a "Stradivarius" or other label in an old violin, cello, etc.

An example:

Instead of "Yuuup" it's "Nooope." Sorry, Dave!
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Adrian Minarovic

I've been around violin trade for some time and that is what I see here. German cello (better than standard grade - nicer woods and varnish) in quite poor state. several big cracks in top and multiple cracks in ribs and the neck joint with previously repaired and failed back button. You can probably get it stuck together by "Willies fiddle shack" with Titebond/epoxy mess to get it playable for a student for several 100 $ but any serious job in US by competent luthier specializing in cello repairs would cost you multiple of 1000's and that will buy you a nice well set german (or modern chinese) cello without structural problems.
    Adrian