Thread: Weber Bitterroot

Brighton on the sunny south coast of the UK

Default Weber Bitterroot

Hi everybody,

I'm in the UK and recently acquired an A-model Weber Bitterroot mandolin. Its a lovely thing, vastly better than anything I've played up until now, and I want to learn a bit more about it. The label is signed by Bruce D Weber (or are they all?) and says it was 'handcrafted in Logan, Montana'. The location I've always associated with Weber is Bend, Oregon. The serial number is given as 13280402.

The reason I'm asking for information here rather than on the Weber website is that my browser (Firefox) doesn't want to connect to it, saying the website is fatally compromised and a security risk with warnings about personal data being stolen etc. So - can anybody help me with the age and other information about my mandolin? And does anybody know how to contact Weber to let them know about their website?

Default Re: Weber Bitterroot

Not sure that the website is compromised, it may not have all of the certificates that Firefox wants. Until he sold Weber to Two Old Hippies, Bruce's signature is on all of the Webers. The current owners are not making mandolins right now. My favorite mandolins from Weber are the oval holes which sound amazing to these old ears. the hierarchy of Weber mandolins was Heritage, Yellowstone and Bitterroot Gallatin. That is what the website says. They used to make an Absoroka many years ago and the oval hole model was excellent. The F hole Absoroka, from the few I've played were OK but not my favorite. You could direct your questions to Bruce or Mary at this site: https://www.montanalutherie.com/

So, it means you got one when Weber was actually Weber and not being made by Two Old Hippies (also of Bedell guitars, and they purchased the Breedlove name as well). I find that cool, though I’ll admit readily that I love my Oregon built Bitterroot OM. Congrats!

based on the serial #, your mando was completed in February 2013 and would have been one of the last mandos to leave the Montana shop before we packed everything up and moved to Bend at the end of Feb, beginning of March of 2013. Standard specs would have been maple body/neck, sitka spruce top, ebony fretboard, and satin nitro finish in the Buckskin color, but we did a lot of custom Bitterroots back then, so your specs may vary.

Bridger Products

Brett, please correct this if I am wrong, but as far as I remember, these were the general models when Weber was in Montana. Although, the elements of the models were often mixed and matched per a customer or dealer request. So, you may find an instrument called a Bitterroot on the label that has elements of a Yellowstone, Big Sky, Fern, Flowerpot, etc.

The main differences were the level of binding, inlays and wood selection. In general, a Gallatin and Aspen had no binding, a Bitterroot had single binding on the top, and the Yellowstone had a single binding on both the top, back, fretboard and peghead. Other models had more complex, layered binding. I believe that the Absaroka was the "A" version of the Bitterroot.

Many of the Gallatins and Bitterroots were made with mohogany bodies and necks. The Absaroka and all other models were maple.

Inlays varied from custom decals to standard shell designs. The Yellowstone and Aspen II, models had shell "Weber" and shell peghead inlays: "Weber Knot" for mandolin, "Celtic Clover" for mandola, "Celtic Diamond" for octaves, and "Celtic Torch" for Mandocellos. The other models had more complex binding and inlays: " Big Sky Star", "Weber Fern", "Weber Flowerpot", "Weber Skull", etc.

Of course, there were also a lot of custom instruments that started out as a base model and had totally unique elements: scale length, one-off inlay design, or specific wood (we once did a mandolin with wood parts from of a burned up family cabin that had sentimental value to the customer).

Flat-Tops Instrument:

Aspen and Aspen II mandolins and mandola
    Sage Octave and Mandocello
    Sweet Pea travel mandolin

Mandolin, Mandola, Octave, Mandocello

Carved-top A:

Absaroka, Yellowstone, Big Sky, Fern, Flowerpot

Limited Editions: Rawhide, Elite, 10 year Anniversary

Carved-top F:

Gallatin, Bitterroot, Yellowstone, Big Sky, Fern, Flowerpot

Limited Editions: Rawhide, Elite, 10 year Anniversary

Carved-Top Two-Point:

Big Horn

Electric mandolin:

Maverick

The guitars followed the same basic models and specifications as the mandolins.

Resonator Guitars had the: Outlaw and Renegrade models.

Hope that this helps,

Vern brekke

P.S. The Weber website seems to be down. I get the same message with Chrome and Microsoft Edge

Hi Vern! Good to hear from you! It's been a long time.
    If memory serves me correctly, by 2012/2013 the standard Bitterroot A was maple body/neck, spruce top, ebony board, and satin Buckskin finish.
    You are correct though, in the earlier days the base Gallatin and Bitterroot models were mahogany bodies with an extraordinary amount of customization throughout all model lines.

Brighton on the sunny south coast of the UK

Thank you all so much for the informaton. I'm pleased to know that my mando is one actually made by Weber and not by someone else using the name, and from the information given I conclude that mine is a standard Bitterroot with f-holes. its all good to know, but of course its also pretty much academic in that it doesn't change the fact that its a gorgeous instrument far superior to my ability to play it, but setup easy enough to play that my playing will improve by leaps and bounds. You guys who apparently worked for Bruce did some very, very fine work.