Thread: A Stradolin

Default A Stradolin

This is current on Goodwill, and somehow attracting bids. I think it’s a 50s SOL that’s been stripped and refinished and has a failing neck. Has the striped mahogany back and replaced tuners.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D00E09E9-E148-460E-AEB5-B70F3867905F.jpeg 
Views:	99 
Size:	709.4 KB 
ID:	201187

2. The following members say thank you to Richard500 for this post:

Default Re: A Stradolin

I think it's gotten so you really have to keep your eyes peeled if you want a really cool Strad-O-Lin at a really good price. It's amazing. I feel like the SOL market's changed even since I got mine 2 years ago.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

4. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

The vintage toilet roll style handle on the case adds that extra bit of mystique to the whole ensemble. I may try that fix in future.

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    The vintage toilet roll style handle on the case adds that extra bit of mystique to the whole ensemble. I may try that fix in future.
    Looks like there are still string-wrapped packages. What to do with the other 999 of them?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CDEA4EE4-31F3-4540-8F17-9E501B08702F.jpeg 
Views:	58 
Size:	226.0 KB 
ID:	201198

FIDDLES with STRADOLINS your_diamond's Avatar

Here is the link https://shopgoodwill.com/item/144371064 with 9 hours to go it's at $101 plus Shipping Price: $0.01 and Handling Price:$2.00.
    That neck joint is a fairly easy fix, hope the neck is straight. I believe that one is laminated but at that price she's a good deal.

You can count me in for one Toilet Roll. 998 to go.

Those Strad necks are usually very easy to re-glue. And in my experience, they are thick enough not to bow.
    Cary Fagan

9. The following members say thank you to Cary Fagan for this post:

I mentioned this one because it appears identical to mine, which is solid top. Easy to see at the large round holes. The back appears to be three ply mahogany, again because there’s no binding. imagine the stencil logo vanished in the stripping, and wouldn’t be surprised if a slathering of methylene chloride or citric acid got into the glue joints too. A restoration that almost went ok.
    Of course, like mysterious baking and vibrating processes, sonic properties might benefit from random chemical soakings. Wouldn’t try it though.
    I’ve had mine since new, and it never had great sound, but I play it a lot, and it’s certainly sturdy. Don’t need spare parts.

11. The following members say thank you to Richard500 for this post:

If you have to buy a mere 1,000 of those doofers, then I will pass on using one as a case handle.

I see the mandolin has $90 Golden Age tuners- no expense spared there and they don't come by the thousand! It looks a promising instrument but one never really knows until it is in your hands!

13. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Fagan View Post
    Those Strad necks are usually very easy to re-glue. And in my experience, they are thick enough not to bow.
    Out of the 22 Stradolins I have owned, only one had a bowed neck (I still own it, using it for parts) so while it is exceedingly rare, it can happen. Had the neck joint given way, it probably wouldn't have bowed. So, the odds are the neck is straight.
    Last edited by your_diamond; May-21-2022 at 5:53pm.

Went for $200.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard500 View Post
    I mentioned this one because it appears identical to mine, which is solid top.
    You are correct. My bad. I should have said SOLID TOP, laminated back and sides. Those straight grained, Mahogany (almost painted light and dark even "striped") SOLs are always laminated. I have never owned a laminated top SOL (I've been lucky, so far).

I did some research... Poplar is the least likely wood to warp!!! All but the most expensive SOLs have poplar necks.

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    If you have to buy a mere 1,000 of those doofers ...
    Yeah but... If you buy more than a thousand, then your case handle is essentially free. What could be better!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Gotta love buying in bulk!

Somewhat unrelated, but about 15 years ago my friend gave me some stuff he was throwing out when his music store closed. First was an unopened box of 144 autoharp/dulcimer tuning wrenches with a nice wooden handles. Anyway, I checked out what they went for on eBay, priced mine a little cheaper with free shipping and they sold, believe it or not! That is, I sold 2 or 3 a month, so it took years to get rid of them, but I don't have any left. Not a high demand item, IMHO....

Second was a box of 500 new color catalogs from a well-known guitar maker. Again, I priced them competitively with free shipping and yes, they do sell, but probably only one every two months, like I say I've been selling these on eBay for 15 years and have sold a bunch, but I have to face the fact that I probably won't live long enough to get rid of all 500......

I was told by an ad agency guy 40 years ago that not long after WW2 he knew somebody who bought a gazillion little electrical switches used in military aircraft off the Government as surplus for a minuscule unit cost. What he did was to approach the manufacturer and told the company that he was going to flood the market with these switches for pennies and damage their business unless they bought them all off him for a sizeable sum. This they did and he made a lot of money and he just had to ship them all to the company- without changing the packing or doing anything.

20. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post: