Thread: Blue Comet/United/ Sorkin Mandolin

Default Blue Comet/United/ Sorkin Mandolin

Here is one of these mandolins made by United which I think might have been made with retired mariners in mind- to remind them of peering out of portholes. Anyway, it has some signs of life's travails on it. I will post up that 1959 Sorkin catalogue photo to go with this for posterity! Pickguards for these appear on eBay quite a bit whereas the mandolins themselves do not!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20395930627...ndition=4%7C10

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1959 Sorkin Catalogue.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	346.0 KB 
ID:	201199

2. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

Default Re: Blue Comet/United/ Sorkin Mandolin

I had one of the other styles of these with the faux resonator that had the portholes. Heavily built and sold under a numner of names including Medalist, Blue Comet, Artistic and Beltone and probably a hos of others. It left quite a bit to be desired tonewise and I sold it cheap to a guy who said that Howard Armstrong (Louie Bluie) played one. I only saw him playing fiddle but no reason to disbelieve. Still I don't miss it.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Jim, it is possible that this Model 507 may be a lot better tonewise- but maybe not!

The one I owned was all laminated wood for the body including the top.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

The cool factor for these was always the way it looked.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Instead of a marine look, I’m thinking 50s biker chic black leather jacket or saddlebags with lots of metal bits.

FIDDLES with STRADOLINS your_diamond's Avatar

The catalogue says the "fingerboard" is rosewood but the wear on the ebay mandolin shows it was a faux (painted) fretboard.

These may have morphed from solid tops and rosewood fretboards to laminated tops and faux (painted) fretboards over time to keep prices affordable and competitive.

I would be very surprised if the rosewood was anything more than the copywriter's artistic license but I might be surprised. I would imagine that the various branded bigger resonator styled mandolins had the same board. Perhaps, Jim can remember what his was although with an all laminated construction, I find it hard to imagine the board was genuine rosewood!

10. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

FIDDLES with STRADOLINS your_diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    I find it hard to imagine the board was genuine rosewood!
    I was told by an adman, "All advertising are lies". However, there was a time when Stradolins were real and solid woods.

While we're at it, there's one of those beautiful Tiger Flame high end Stradolins in the classifieds dated 1949 that is obviously Pre-War. It also has a one-piece back though it is listed as two-piece. Pardon my OCD but HELLO! I realize there is no malicious intent by the seller but if he doesn't change it soon I may start hair pulling again and I don't have much to start with.

I'd hazard that one of the Blue Comet etc. mandolins would make a good Steampunk artifact.

Not an instrument, just an artifact.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

13. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post: