Thread: RIP Nolan Faulkner

Default RIP Nolan Faulkner

Dana Cupp just posted on Facebook that Nolan Faulkner, one of bluegrass and folk music's colorful and unsung heroes of the mandolin, passed away yesterday.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Default Re: RIP Nolan Faulkner

Sad to hear this, I never met the man but, knew of his talent!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Dana Cupp just posted on Facebook that Nolan Faulkner, one of bluegrass and folk music's colorful and unsung heroes of the mandolin, passed away yesterday.
    That hits hard. Nolan Faulkner was one of my main inspirations. Pretty early on in my playing career I found his Old Homestead album "The Legendary Kentucky Mandolin of Nolan Faulkner". I soaked up every note of that record & am still trying to play "Gypsy Girl" & "Bluegrass Morning" at the tempo he plays them. One of the greatest mandolin records of all time, imho. A sound on mandolin like you've never heard before, Monroe-like, bluesy as hell but definitely his own, unique thing. I can't say enough about the playing of Nolan Faulkner. Going to put that album on now & be sad for while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D3My68l9lc

I grew up in the Detroit area and had the pleasure on knowing Nolan. Great, great mandolin player. He taught me how to play chop chords. Go in peace.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twilson For This Useful Post:

Can't believe no one liked this stuff.

Just saw this. Nolan was a true Urban Appalachian musician...took his music from the hills to the Big City and made it work. R.I.P.