Thread: 2009 Bob Abrams Trillium Irish bouzouki value

Default 2009 Bob Abrams Trillium Irish bouzouki value

Hi. This is my first post here. I am hoping someone can help me, or direct me towards an answer. What is the market value for a mint condition Trillium irish bouzouki produced in early 2009, with the following specifications?

Back & sides: Claro Walnut
    Top: California Redwood
    Neck: Mahogany
    Faceplate, fingerboard & bridge: Ebony
    Fingerboard radius: 16 inches
    String scale length: 25.4 inches
    Pickup: Fishman
    Tailpiece: Randy Allen cast bronze

Thank you in advance!

All the best,
    Borgar

Default Re: 2009 Bob Abrams Trillium Irish bouzouki value

The bouzouki was initially bought from Bob Abrams in 2009 for 3100 USD.

It's impossible to assess market value without detailed pictures. I sold two recently through The Music Emporium (TME), and we set the pricing relative to what other instruments of the kind were selling for. However, there was no top sinkage on either instrument (I have seen quite a few of these with tops that sink due to lack of humidity), and the market was quite hot. Things seem to be cooling a bit (before every mandolin that went up for sale danced away immediately. Not so now). This is even more so for the larger style instruments, but Ian would be the best person at TME to consult with.

Someone sold an older model Trillium through the classifieds here for around $2k, the ones at TME sold for over $4k. Granted the $2k sale was an estate sales os some kind. So, sometimes it's not what is being sold, but who is selling the item.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

[QUOTE have seen quite a few of these with tops that sink due to lack of humidity[/QUOTE]

Are you saying that you've see quite a few Trillium instruments with "tops that sink"? That would be news to me......

Thank you for your answers. Is it a shared impression in the forum that octave mandolins and bouzoukis don't sell as easily now?

- - - Updated - - -

I can post detailed pictures shortly.

There are three Trillium instruments currently listed on the TME site. Usually they mark ones that are sold and remove the price, so I assume that these are not the ones that Mandobar owned. The cittern is the only one with similar long scale like the OP’s. That one has been there for quite some time and the price has been lowered $400. I bought my 1995 OM from a good friend and based the price on what had been sold on reverb and other sites that listed prices. I think the design had changed a bit from the newer ones but it is a fine instrument with excellent tone and sustain.

I think the price you ask would depend on how quickly you need to sell it. I would also recommend that you list it here in the classifieds and be aware that you should not post a listing in the forum and that should it sell donate 2% of the selling price to the Cafe.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by mandomentch View Post
    [QUOTE have seen quite a few of these with tops that sink due to lack of humidity
    Are you saying that you've see quite a few Trillium instruments with "tops that sink"? That would be news to me......[/QUOTE]

Bob,

More recently the Koa octave that was sold at TME. The ad at TME notes the top as “settled, under the bridge.”

There was also a redwood and walnut octave there about a year ago. Obviously humidity, or lack thereof, plays a large part.

Jim, the mandola and cittern were mine. The longer scale instruments are harder to sell. Unless the headstock says “Brock,” LOL.

And yes, Borgar, mandolas, octaves, and mandocellos are harder to sell.
    Last edited by Mandobar; May-29-2022 at 7:51am.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Paul Wheeler
    Greenfield, NH; formerly Jericho and St. Albans, VT

Mary, are you saying the mango-bodied, 19-inch scale Trillium mandola was yours? Mine now, though naturally you still have visiting rights! So far it has bumped one mandola, and a CGDA tenor guitar. -- Pasul
    He joyously felt himself idling, an unreflective mood in which water was water, sky was sky, breeze was breeze. He knew it couldn't last. -- Thomas McGuane, "Nothing but Blue Skies"

Yes, Paul, that was mine. I had two at one point (one that had belonged to Andy Irvine for a few years), but I bought a Patrick Toole octave a few months back and have been playing it almost exclusively. Actually, it has replaced my guitar at sessions.

Paul Wheeler
    Greenfield, NH; formerly Jericho and St. Albans, VT

Doh! I make that same typo so regularly I'm ready to just change my name to Pasul . . .
    He joyously felt himself idling, an unreflective mood in which water was water, sky was sky, breeze was breeze. He knew it couldn't last. -- Thomas McGuane, "Nothing but Blue Skies"