Thread: My SC playlists

Default My SC playlists

Fifteen or so years ago I made a series of recordings with friends. I knew lots of good players, plus a few excellent recording engineers, so we'd get together, rehearse a bit, then see what we could produce in a session or two. It was fun, but never led to anything more serious. Lately though I've been listening a bit to those old cuts, and some of them are pretty good. So I've just created a Sound Cloud account and uploaded some playlists. For now I've got three lists, offering Brazilian, French, and jazz material.

The Brazilian list has six tunes, all classic choros except one original I wrote. Some comments on the cuts:

1. Noites cariocas. The opener on a house concert I played with bassist Danny Parker in 2005. Very low-tech: no mikes, no sound check. Danny just put his portable DAT recorder on the floor under his bass.

2. Segura ele. Recorded by John Gilliat in his home studio. I played all the parts.

3. Carinhoso. Arranged by me for two mandolins, and I play both parts. Engineer was (the other) Kirk Douglas.

4. Combustibilidade. My tune. Recorded by Kirk with me on guitar and mandolin, plus Meredith (fiddle), Paul (bass), and Liam (percussion).

5. Lamentos. Another duet for two mandolins, from the same session as #3.

6. Um a zero. Ron Thompson on guitar, Danny on bass, Liam on pandeiro. Recorded by Tom Keenlyside.

Hope you'll enjoy. Here's the link to the Brazil list:

https://soundcloud.com/user-724320259/sets/brazil

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Clausen For This Useful Post:

Default Re: My SC playlists

I always liked your playing, Bruce. Thanks for posting those. I look fwd to the other groups.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

The Jazz list has six tunes, three on mandolin (1, 3, 5) and three on guitar (2, 4, 6).

1. Autumn Leaves. Duo with Danny Parker on bass, from the same house concert as Noites Cariocas in post #1.

2. The More I see you. From a trio concert played at a Jazz Ottawa event in 1987 or so. An audience member recorded it from her table and handed me the cassette at the end of the evening. I was glad to find it decades later.

3. The Mooche. Old Ellington tune played by my quartet around 2007. (Same group as on Um a zero.)

4. Love is here to stay. The Gershwin tune, another cut from the duo house concert of cut #1.

5. Desafinado. Jazzy version of the bossa hit, with me playing both parts. (Same sessions as Segura ele.)

6. I'll remember April. Bruce and Danny again. The concert continued, but the tape ran out or broke, so we get a short version and a fade-out.

Link for the Jazz list:

https://soundcloud.com/user-724320259/sets/jazz

6. The following members say thank you to Bruce Clausen for this post:

The French list has mostly Musette material. Some notes:

1. Valse ŕ Deddy. For mandolin and guitar, with Ron Thompson.

2. Petite Fleur. The well-known Sidney Bechet tune, with me and Ron again.

3. Rivalité. Another musette accordion number, with me playing both parts.

4. Souvenir de Bonifacio. Bruce and Ron.

5. Fifi Moulin. My own musette-waltz. I'm on guitar and mandolin, with Meredith (fiddle), Paul (bass), and Liam (percussion).

Here's the direct link:

https://soundcloud.com/user-724320259/sets/french

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Clausen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Clausen View Post
    Fifteen or so years ago I made a series of recordings with friends. I knew lots of good players, plus a few excellent recording engineers, so we'd get together, rehearse a bit, then see what we could produce in a session or two. It was fun, but never led to anything more serious. Lately though I've been listening a bit to those old cuts, and some of them are pretty good. So I've just created a Sound Cloud account and uploaded some playlists. For now I've got three lists, offering Brazilian, French, and jazz material.

The Brazilian list has six tunes, all classic choros except one original I wrote. Some comments on the cuts:

1. Noites cariocas. The opener on a house concert I played with bassist Danny Parker in 2005. Very low-tech: no mikes, no sound check. Danny just put his portable DAT recorder on the floor under his bass.

2. Segura ele. Recorded by John Gilliat in his home studio. I played all the parts.

3. Carinhoso. Arranged by me for two mandolins, and I play both parts. Engineer was (the other) Kirk Douglas.

4. Combustibilidade. My tune. Recorded by Kirk with me on guitar and mandolin, plus Meredith (fiddle), Paul (bass), and Liam (percussion).

5. Lamentos. Another duet for two mandolins, from the same session as #3.

6. Um a zero. Ron Thompson on guitar, Danny on bass, Liam on pandeiro. Recorded by Tom Keenlyside.

Hope you'll enjoy. Here's the link to the Brazil list:

https://soundcloud.com/user-724320259/sets/brazil
    Thanks for a ton of good music for my student Bruce! I also enjoyed listening to your recordings. Very diverse material and I'll be listening more in the coming days. I'm glad I finally got to hear the results of your 'downsizing'!

Thanks, Roland, very nice to hear from you! (Roland and I last saw each other around what, 1980 or so?)

Yeah, I got serious about mandolin in 2003 after attending some choro jams in Vancouver and meeting Radim Zenkl at Sorrento. So I downsized, and I've hardly touched the guitar in the past ten years.

Still have a telecaster though, just in case.

11. The following members say thank you to Bruce Clausen for this post:

I think the last time I saw you play...was at the East Cultural Center and you were playing an archtop. That curly colored patch chord plugged into your guitar seemed to have stuck in my memory too. I think you were playing a contemporary piece...not any bebop tunes. I remember you as a very eclectic player back then.
    I can hear bebop lines in your mandolin solos so your guitar playing patterns transferred over pretty well!

Thanks, Roland. But wow, you remember stuff I'd completely forgotten.

I played on a number of "new music" concerts in those days, and you must have attended one. And I now recall a bright orange curly cord I used for about fifteen years. Lots of water under lots of bridges since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Clausen View Post
    Thanks, Roland. But wow, you remember stuff I'd completely forgotten.

I played on a number of "new music" concerts in those days, and you must have attended one. And I now recall a bright orange curly cord I used for about fifteen years. Lots of water under lots of bridges since then.
    What ever you did back in the day Bruce...you were highly regarded from many including myself. I tried sending all my students to you when ever I left a teaching gig. Actually, the last time I spoke to you in person was in the lobby of the UBC Music building around the time Julian Bream was in town to play a concert at a small venue. You were playing a replica of a guitar from the classical era.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Lee View Post
    Actually, the last time I spoke to you in person was in the lobby of the UBC Music building around the time Julian Bream was in town to play a concert at a small venue. You were playing a replica of a guitar from the classical era.
    Another amazing feat of memory, Roland. And thank you for the kind words.

(The guitar was probably a Panormo copy built by Michael Dunn that I borrowed from Michael once or twice for concerts. I later bought and used a real 1820's Panormo. I can't recall that Bream concert but saw him several times.)

I've just noticed this morning that none of the links I gave above works anymore. Logged in I get a Something Went Wrong message, and as an outsider I get This Playlist Doesn't Exist. I'm brand new to Sound Cloud and don't know what the problem is, but will see what I can find out.

Apologies to any who may have tried to listen.

[Edit: Looks like the whole site is down this morning. So probably nothing I can fix.]
    Last edited by Bruce Clausen; Jun-13-2022 at 11:37am.

Site is now working fine, and I've added a few miscellaneous tracks:

1. A nice old tango called Chiquita, played by my quartet with Ron, Danny, and Liam. Great guitar work by Ron.

2. The Break. A jazzy number I wrote in big-band style for use as a break tune by the same quartet.

3. The one and only bluegrass tune I've written, Pigeon Roost Breakdown. Meredith is on fiddle, with solos by Don on dobro (great!), me on mandolin, and Paul on bass.

4. Take the A Train. A little different take on the Ellington classic; same players as on Chiquita and The Break.

These should show up at the top of the list of my tracks here:

https://soundcloud.com/user-724320259/tracks

Thanks for listening!