Thread: Pick tradition

Question Pick tradition

I have a question: Modern mandolin picks are very often rounded, like the Apollo or Golden Gate versions for example. Vintage mandolin picks seem to be quite the contrary: very long, thin and pointy. How came this change? Do the two pick version correspond with different techniques/styles? How do you hold such a vintage mandolin pick?

2. The following members say thank you to Jamabiko for this post:

Default Re: Pick tradition

My assumption is that the older picks were designed to be used with older mandolins - like bowlbacks - and for musical styles from the 1800's and early 1900's. (and I still play that way)

The development of the Gibson-style mandolin, Bluegrass music and its offshoots, players like Grisman, a preference for a certain tone color, all were part of the musical stream that led to the popularity of the larger thicker rounded picks. (which I do not use)

Of course there's more to it, but I think this is the basic idea.

4. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Many thanks, this helps! Kind regards from Switzerland..

6. The following members say thank you to Jamabiko for this post:

European mandolins are often a shorter scale than American instruments in the Gibson style, and European string gauges tend to be lighter. So in addition to the musical developments in the US through the 20th century, the difference in string tension might call for a different approach to tone production too.

8. The following members say thank you to Martin Beer for this post:

Many thanks, didn‘t know this!

The genre of music can also be a factor, not just modern vs. vintage mandolins. Bluegrass players often prefer heavier rounded picks, players in other styles may choose something different even on the same type of instrument.

For example, my mandolin is a Lebeda F5 built along Gibson lines. However, I use a relatively thin flatpick (Blue Chip TAD40-1R), roughly 1.0 mm and picking on the bottom point, because I play mostly Irish/Scottish traditional and related music. I find a thinner pick is easier for "treble" ornaments in the music.

If I played Bluegrass I might use something heavier, and maybe with a more rounded point. So there may be general trends, but the type of music one plays may be more of a factor in pick choice than the type of mandolin.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foldedpath For This Useful Post:

Many thanks for your interesting answer!