Thread: Seeking Info on a Bowlback

Default Seeking Info on a Bowlback

Hello! I was recently given this mandolin and I was looking to get some more information about it. I'm also wondering where I could find a tailpiece that would work, as well as any advice on installment. Thank you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9605.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	816.2 KB 
ID:	201325   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9607.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	642.8 KB 
ID:	201326   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9606.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	548.0 KB 
ID:	201327  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9609.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	758.4 KB 
ID:	201328   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9610.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	371.6 KB 
ID:	201329  

2. The following members say thank you to ilikethebyrds for this post:

Default Re: Seeking Info on a Bowlback

You can buy new tailpieces on eBay and old ones there as well. It looks as though your mandolin may have had a few in its life. You may have to fill the existing holes- glued in toothpicks are what many use. If a hole is going to show after mounting the tailpiece you need to be more creative to fill the hole so it is not glaringly obvious. I cannot tell if your mandolin is USA made or European but I lean to the former but the hardware normally gives this away. Perhaps, you can show that back plate and the tuners but that backplate suggests it is American made. I don't see any really suitable tailpieces on eBay at the moment but if you search for "vintage mandolin tailpiece" regularly you may find one. Here is an eBay link that will show you sold items and there are a few there that may be suitable and you can watch out for one turning up. You can buy a single piece item or one with a sliding cover- usually a "cloud" shape or "wrist rest" and then there is one that is a hinged wrist rest- they show up quite often. Here is a wrist rest type on this mandolin: https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/20...servatory.html
    This is the hinged variety: https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/20...k-mandola.html
    You could buy a very simple type that just holds the strings- they can be bought new- no cover plate just the hooks.
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...&LH_Complete=1

Here is the simplest form of tailpiece- this is a very cheap one that can get you up and running. Mind you, you do not really want to be drilling multiple holes in your mandolin- although it may match up to some of the existing holes. There are better versions of this style available- there is a seller in Portugal who has some nice items for mandolins- tailpieces and bridges.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20058549865...AAAMXQ0pNRoqJQ

Here is the man in Portugal- I have bought a bridge from him and he said to return it if it was no good- but it was just fine: https://www.ebay.com/itm/12381962844...QAAOSwmRNaq9-1

Finally, I do not like this kind of one piece bridge- where you hang the strings on the hooks and then have to guide them through a slot. I tend to find the strings do not like to co-operate and it becomes a time-consuming business stringing up. The same style of bridge with a detachable or hinged cover is fine but navigating the slot really makes me wild, sometimes- like always. I have a mandolin in the post that has a slot tailpiece- it is early 1930s and I will leave the tailpiece in situ but I will make sure I am relaxed before I restring it! Maybe, there is a technique and my solution was to get a two piece tailpiece!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/33445536302...oAAOSwCeNikRqM

Get the top and sides reattached and perhaps cleated at the tailpiece, before trying to install a new tailpiece. And have someone look at the split in the top; looks repaired, but maybe not.

Even with the recommended extra-light strings, there's a fair amount of string tension applied to both the top and the tailpiece once it's strung up. A bit of work before you put a bridge and strings on it, might save a lot more work afterwards.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

First, what you have is minimally, a mid-range instrument, built before about 1920. There may be a reason it was stripped, and I notice the bridge and nut are taped to the headstock, and that you photographed this in a music shop, so you either know some of this or people to see already.
    The difficult and expensive issue on one of these is the neck, so make sure it seems solid, and also put a straightedge down the fretboard past where the bridge goes. If it is up over about 1/2” at the bridge location, it’s starting to fold up and that’s a fairly big deal. Next, internal inspection to look for loose braces, separations, and that crack mentioned above. Not sure if you have top separation, the damage at the tailpiece is just crushing from same. Also, with that straightedge, make a basic check of neck twist and bowing, raised frets, etc.
    Once you get past inspection, test the tuners for free action. Since they’re hidden under, they might even be fairly clean. Then, get a tailpice; any type will do. If someone here says this instrument is particularly rare or valuable, you might want to get a correct model, otherwise, not an issue. Ultra-light strings, as mentioned, and check the nut and bridge for broken-out slots. Glue nothing down. Action at the octave should be less than about 1/8”, and because there are 8 strings under considerable tension, you can’t play it if the action is too high.
    Another note: bowl backs are generally inexpensive, even fully set up and playable, (unless somehow rare, great builder, etc.) so sinking a lot into repair is fine as long as you don’t expect to get it back if and when you sell it.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard500 For This Useful Post:

The instrument could well be one of Lyon & Healy's creations for "the trade." I've seen very similar ones with American Conservatory labels glued inside.

10. The following members say thank you to rickbella for this post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rickbella View Post
    The instrument could well be one of Lyon & Healy's creations for "the trade." I've seen very similar ones with American Conservatory labels glued inside.
    I was thinking the same thing.

But the headstock profile and thin fretboard don't look like L+H to me after some reflection. They have me thinking it might be from one of the East Coast makers....but also for "the trade" as you suggest.

Just a guess on my part, of course.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

12. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9647.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	580.1 KB 
ID:	201345 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9648.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	655.4 KB 
ID:	201346

Thank you all for the replies and information! I added pictures of the headstock, the only marking I found on the instrument is a little "Z" under the metal plate. The crack on the face appears repaired. Steve James looked at this mandolin and said it is in very solid condition, and that it will be playable once I get the tailpiece. He said it is probably American but sent me here for a more accurate ID. My biggest concern is filling the holes and re-drilling into the instrument. Are toothpicks and glue the way to go? If anyone has specific tips for this I'd appreciate it!

Toothpicks are generally used but small dowels- dependent on the size of the holes are fine- you can whittle the wood down to size. Many old instruments have holes where tuners or tailpieces have been replaced and they do not need to be filled but it makes good sense to do so- not least if they show. Once you have your tailpiece you can see whether you will be forced to drill new holes or can reuse old holes which if filled will allow the screws to bite. I would recommend GHS ultra light strings as your starting point- they are inexpensive and I use them a lot.
    I buy them from this retailer which seems to be very price competitive: https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/ghs...ight-9-32.html

I think the photos of the tuners confirm the mandolin to be American made and others have suggested Lyon & Healy and that seems quite likely. That company used quite a few different tailpiece styles on its many mandolin models but it certainly used the hinged cover type which I have an example of. I do not think your mandolin had one as if you follow the link I posted to the Regal made Ditson mandola, you can see there is a screw in the middle that keeps the cover down- and that would be apparent on your mandolin if one had been used when it was made. In fact, the lower two screw holes seem a bit odd but people do some odd things to instruments!

15. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.

But the headstock profile and thin fretboard don't look like L+H to me after some reflection. They have me thinking it might be from one of the East Coast makers....but also for "the trade" as you suggest.

Just a guess on my part, of course.

Mick
    And now that we see the back of the headstock, I'd agree it likely isn't of L&H origin.