Thread: Music Library for Samsung Tablet???

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

Default Music Library for Samsung Tablet???

I rarely have the opportunity to play with others, but was able to play at an open jam today. There I was with my music stand and notebooks with paper copies of some stuff I can play. Everyone else either had no music stand/music or had tablets on a stand with the music displayed electronically.

I have a Samsung tablet and presume I can find either a tablet stand or an adapter for my existing folding music stand. (What would you suggest?)

The greater question, though, has to do with the music library. Are these available for purchase for Android? Do you have to somehow load your own music? I would love to be able to look up chord charts (or sheet music) for tunes other musicians choose, as well my own selections.

2. The following members say thank you to Sherry Cadenhead for this post:

Ray(T) 

Default Re: Music Library for Samsung Tablet???

On my Samsung large tablet, I use Music Sheets Pro for sheet music.

https://www.zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/

Maybe this is something that could help.

4. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

I use SetListMaker on my Samsung tablet. Once you get the hang of it, it works very well. Pretty easy to import lyrics, you can add chords into the song if necessary. One neat thing and probably lots of software does this, but you can put an MP3 file from a recording into it, attached to the file. So if you're trying to keep track of the lyrics and how a song goes, when you've got well over 200 songs in the list, you can just tell it to play the recording to remind you of how the song goes.

6. The following members say thank you to Dale Ludewig for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry Cadenhead View Post
    I rarely have the opportunity to play with others, but was able to play at an open jam today. There I was with my music stand and notebooks with paper copies of some stuff I can play. Everyone else either had no music stand/music or had tablets on a stand with the music displayed electronically.

I have a Samsung tablet and presume I can find either a tablet stand or an adapter for my existing folding music stand. (What would you suggest?)

The greater question, though, has to do with the music library. Are these available for purchase for Android? Do you have to somehow load your own music? I would love to be able to look up chord charts (or sheet music) for tunes other musicians choose, as well my own selections.
    If you go to Amazon or Google and search 'music tablet stand' you will get hits. I have not tried the apps mentioned but I think I would struggle with small screen size

8. The following members say thank you to DaveGinNJ for this post:

Check SongbookPro for Android. I use the Apple version on iPad and find it easy once you get setup. You can connect directly to Echords & Ultimate Guitar through Google Drive and download. You can import song files residing on your device and create files from scratch. Easy transposing also. One time fee, ($10?) I am able to use on multiple devices, tablet & phone.
    Girouard A
    Silverangel A
    Eastman 615

10. The following members say thank you to A-board for this post:

Are there ready made chord sheet or sheet music libraries to purchase for common jam music? I tried a Google search, but may not have used the best description.

Are there ready made chord sheet or sheet music libraries to purchase for common jam music? I tried a Google search, but may not have used the best description.
    I just ran across mattbruno.com/bluegrass-jam-charts-and-lyrics

You've already got Brad Laird's Jam Session Survival book, right? He's got a tablet version.

(You might have to ignore a warning when you go to his site, if you have Malware Bytes.)
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

I just ran across mattbruno.com/bluegrass-jam-charts-and-lyrics
    All that I get on that link is a GoDaddy page. Am I missing something?

I have a Samsung Tab S6 Lite (dims: 244.5 x 154.3 x 7 mm or 9.63 x 6.07 x 0.28 in) and it fits well on an Amazon Basics Adjustable Tablet Holder.
    Bren

16. The following members say thank you to Bren for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    You've already got Brad Laird's Jam Session Survival book, right? He's got a tablet version.

(You might have to ignore a warning when you go to his site, if you have Malware Bytes.)
    I do, Sue! Thanks for the heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    I also got that once, David. PM me your email address and I'll share directly from the page I'm seeing. Maybe that will work.

19. The following members say thank you to Sherry Cadenhead for this post:

... there I was with my music stand and notebooks ...
    Memorize your music. At many jams by the time you finish scrolling and paging, they are already into the next song/tune. At open-book jams, where you play for 2 minutes, then turn pages for 5 minutes, it is very hard to maintain music flow and vibe.

On the other hand, the bigger your tune collection, the harder it is to find the right tune. At a recent jam, somebody yells out "wedding reel in D next!", book people punch it into thesession.org and get 13 pages of results, none of them the right tune. (There is only one popular tune commonly named (misnamed) "the wedding reel", https://thesession.org/tunes/518).

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    David, if you google Matt Bruno bluegrass jam charts his site pops up.

22. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandocello8 View Post
    Memorize your music.
    My own music isn't the problem. In fact, I could take only chord sheets for what I plan to play, which would be very little paper. What I like about the tablet and stand is less to carry and the ease of setting up.

As far as playing along with others, I'm trying to watch the guitar players. I don't play guitar, so don't always know what chords they're playing and don't understand the capo changes. I need to do some research on guitar basics.

Admittedly, I'd prefer to find charts for what others are playing, rather than have to watch the guitars, but, as you've said, that's not always possible.
    Last edited by Sherry Cadenhead; Jun-04-2022 at 11:43am. Reason: Full disclosure

24. The following members say thank you to Sherry Cadenhead for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    David, if you google Matt Bruno bluegrass jam charts his site pops up.
    Thanks, that worked better than the other link.

Quote Originally Posted by mandocello8 View Post
    Memorize your music. .
    When possible, and depending on the condition of my memory, sure.

I'd prefer to find charts for what others are playing, rather than have to watch the guitars
    That would not work. Instead of playing what others are playing, you will be playing what you think they *should* be playing. Guitar players never play exactly what's written in the chord chart. There is different chord voicings, standard chord substitutions, bass runs, "chord change is in the wrong place", "these are piano chords", "this is a typo", "this chord works better" and so on.

(I assume you are in a jam, not at a band practice or performance where the band leader gave sheet music and chord charts to everybody else, but not to you).

(Except for ukulele jam where everybody plays from the same song book, with result as expected).

(figure out the capo. Singer yells out "I want B flat", everybody goes "capo 3" and you are lost).

Basically, a capo moves the key up by a half step per fret. So, if a song is written in G but the singers can’t quite get down there, they may prefer to move it up to A (capo 2), B (capo 4), or (if they’re like the teenage ladies I’ve had in our youth praise band over the past few years) maybe even C (capo 5) or D (capo 7). A capo at one would be. G#/Ab and so forth. The problem is, unless you’re using a capo on your mando, you have to be able to transpose on the fly. At capo 2 that G becomes A, C becomes D, and D becomes E. It comes more easily the more you do it.

A quick google search for “Kyser guitar capo instruction sheet” will reveal several charts that do the transposition work for you. Or, you can get something like “How to Play Guitar in Any Key” or the more intense “Music Theory for Modern Mandolin” books and do the head work yourself.

Pre COVID our band did a youth worship service 1 Sunday a month, usually with 5 songs, and would occasionally play on Sundays to give the grown up band a break. I typically typed up lead sheets for guitar (capo’d wherever the singers needed) and also for mando, keys, and bass without the capo. It was always fun (eyeroll) when one of the singers would decide we needed to raise or lower the key by 1 step for a song we’d done 10 times already…lots of quick re-writing of charts on those days. I now have a pretty large collection of worship music saved on my computer with titles like “My Lighthouse” original, “My Lighthouse” capo 3 for “Shirley,” etc.

So, why capo rather than just play in the key the singer wants? To keep the ornamentation, runs, fills, etc, the same, both to keep the song recognizable and also so a group of teens who essentially practice once a month from having to learn a key change on the spot. For the songs that are G capo 7 I will sometimes just play in D on OM or mando to add some lower texture to the higher guitar capo, but wouldn’t ask the keyboarder or guitar player to make that change on the fly given the experience levels I work with and the limited practice time.

Interesting personal tidbit: I have no trouble memorizing songs I learn aurally, slowly figure out from listening to someone play over and over, or from working through video lessons without tab, but for the stuff I have sheet music for, I have a much harder time memorizing them, probably just because I know I have the music to fall back on…

Sorry for the long post, hope it helps, though!
    Last edited by CES; Jun-05-2022 at 3:10pm.

Thanks for your reply, CES. I had found a really good and simple capo/chord chart I intend to use in the future.