Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anybody heard of an English maker called Frederick Winslow?

Default Re: Has anybody heard of an English maker called Frederick Winslo

OK, Winslow No.29 has safely made it across Australia and landed in my hands this morning. I had a pleasure of playing with it, cleaning, restringing and setting it up most of the day today. A couple of observations: it was playable as is, but was buzzing and had pieces of plastic under strings in the bridge area to prevent that. Tuners were Shallers, pretty old, but not original. Bridge had a shim underneath and the action was a way too high. Old rusty strings. Not much restoration to it in the past, apart from the tuners changed, everything else is original. It was strung the normal way, not in a crisscross fashion as per Winslow patent. I happened to have a pair of period tuners, that matched very well (could only find Phillips head screws though, so put them in for the time being - to be changed later). As soon as I have started changing strings, as per patent, closely looking to pictures previously provided by Jim Garber, I have noticed that the bridge is actually fitted the wrong way. I have turned it around, removed the shim and put the fresh set of Galli light strings on. The action became low and just the way to go and as soon as I touched the strings the instrument instantly sang. The sound is very nice, something in between of a flat back and a bowlback. This is basically what it is, a hybrid in between, not quite a bowlback, but neither a flatback either. The instrument is very well built, varnished inside and the workmanship is very neat. Pickguard and armrest are tightly attached in a thoughtful way are comfortable and don't rattle anywhere. The instrument has a fairly thick ebony fretboard that is super stable and very thin, very well adjusted and comfortable frets. After nearly 100 years the instrument has kept the original geometry intended by Mr Winslow perfectly and setting it up was a pure pleasure. I am very happy with my new acquisition and may I say, this one is definitely a keeper. Bravo, Mr. Winslow and thanks, Peter the ex-owner, for great packaging and easy, straightforward transaction!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1655891502373.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	3.90 MB 
ID:	201649Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1655891502301.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	4.04 MB 
ID:	201650Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1655891502334.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	3.69 MB 
ID:	201651Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1655891502316.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	3.33 MB 
ID:	201652Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1655891502271.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	475.9 KB 
ID:	201653Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1655891502258.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	436.0 KB 
ID:	201654Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1655891502419.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	307.9 KB 
ID:	201655Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1655891502438.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	4.52 MB 
ID:	201656
    Last edited by vic-victor; Jun-22-2022 at 7:24am.

That's great- I am sure you will cherish it.

3. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

Welcome vic-victor to the Winslow owners club! I have one very similar, dated 1927, number 3. It has slightly fancier neck and back woods - bird's eye maple - but with the same fittings and construction as yours. I also have a later one of the same design but using Indian Rosewood for the back and sides. That one is numbered 58 and dated 1933 with a similar reliance-type case (no label).

Winslow filed his US patent application in 1927 so, assuming he started building his characteristic mandolins in the same year, he was averaging seven or eight instruments a year. Although he had already made 29 of them by 1928 (vic-victor's new acquisition), which may have been back-orders, so he seemed to average only about five a year after 1928. I am guessing they were quite expensive- I have never seen a price list - so, with the Great Depression kicking in and mandolins losing favour in popular music, he may not have continued after 1933. Anyone who knows better, please pile in.

Kevin
    Anglocelt
    mainly Irish & Scottish but open to all dance-oriented melodic music.
    Mandos: Gibson A2, Janish A5, Krishot F5, Taran Springwell, Shippey, Weber Elite A5; TM and OM by Dave Gregory, J E Dallas, Tobin & Davidson.

Thanks, Kevin. If you don't mind, please post the photos of your Winslow instruments here for other people's reference and posterity, so to say. Thanks!

Well, that all sounds remarkably providential that you were able to get the mandolin playing well with the minimum of effort. I would imagine your new old tuners might be similar to those originally used- German made by the looks of them although possibly a bit newer judging by the buttons. It's great that you find its tone so pleasing- it certainly looks as though it was designed and built with this in mind.

7. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

That is way cool and different. What a fantastic aquisition!
    I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd love to hear the sound of it.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

9. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

Here is the sound sample:

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vic-victor For This Useful Post:

A couple of letters from F. Winslow found on website of Uni of California.

Name:	letter1.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	132.0 KB 
ID:	201686Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VOBCorr_1505.pdf 
Views:	57 
Size:	459.1 KB 
ID:	201687Click image for larger version. 

Name:	letter2.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	201688

I wonder if anyone have noticed that the letters are addressed to Mr and Mrs Bickford in USA. Mr Zarth Myron Bickford was an author of the Mandolin method and mandolin enthusiast. Mrs Vahdah Olcott-Bickford was an American astrologer and guitarist, known as "the Grand Lady of the Guitar." More info. Their archive has been digitised by the California State University and also contain letters from Philip J. Bone, another English mandolin enthusiast and author. I have an autographed book (numbered copy 258) "the Guitar and Mandolin" with the original receipt. Also interesting that one of the letters give inside on Dave Appolon concerts in England and the fact that he liked Winslow mandolins and bought some. Anyway, another 5 cents into global mandolin history.

14. The following members say thank you to vic-victor for this post:

Thanks for posting the letters you found from Fred Winslow to Bickford. It appears Fred’s mandolins were admired by Dave Apollon and he appears to have bought three of them whilst touring in the UK.
    He was also prone to adjusting high-end mandolins with his 1927 patent stringing system. I have previously come across an adjusted J E Dallas and a DiMeglio before but his letter adds Calace and a Vinaccia to the list.
    Thanks also for your video, showing what nice sounds a Winslow is capable of. I have added some photos of my two Winslows, as requested.
    Kevin

Name:	Winslow 3.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	814.4 KB 
ID:	201748

Name:	Winslow 1.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	721.4 KB 
ID:	201749

Name:	Winslow 2.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	770.8 KB 
ID:	201750

Name:	Winslow 5.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	739.3 KB 
ID:	201751

Name:	Winslow 6.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	636.6 KB 
ID:	201752Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Winslow 4.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	612.8 KB 
ID:	201753
    Anglocelt
    mainly Irish & Scottish but open to all dance-oriented melodic music.
    Mandos: Gibson A2, Janish A5, Krishot F5, Taran Springwell, Shippey, Weber Elite A5; TM and OM by Dave Gregory, J E Dallas, Tobin & Davidson.

Thanks for your comments and the photos. Beautiful instruments indeed!