Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vintage Fender Mandocaster on SGW

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Vintage Fender Mandocaster on SGW

It's been a long time since I had a custom color Fender in my hands, and I haven't studied them carefully.
    The color looks reasonable. So far as I can tell, the parts appear correct for the period, though you can't judge a pickup from the outside either.

But something bothers me about the appearance of the checking. Maybe its geometry looks like it might have been human induced, rather than the result of time and nature. As a non-expert, I'm calling the odds on this one 50-50.

If I was shopping for such an instrument [and I'm not], I would have to see the cavities and the electronics from several angles before making a bid. And I don't think I would bid in any case without a clear return policy. So for me, that pretty much knocks out auction purchases.

Martin, it didn't hurt you one bit to give this one a pass. If it's real, someone got an interesting piece. If not, they're stuck with a refinished instrument that cost way too much.
    Last edited by rcc56; Jun-08-2022 at 4:42pm.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcc56 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by oldhawkeye View Post
    Just went for $4,010.33
    My, my, my
    It just crossed my mind that in the days before the internet this would have ended up at somebody's local Goodwill store for $100-200, if that!

4. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

With regard to dating it, that Fender decal- logo style and countour body etc is seen on mid-60s Fender instruments. That all ties in with the case, tuners etc Whether it is refinished then only personal inspection will really confirm or deny.

The new owner now has the bragging rights of saying they "found" it at the Goodwill!

I've never seen one sell for $4k before. Holy smokes. The ones I've seen usually sell for $2 to 2.5k.
    Like this one: https://www.gbase.com/gear/fender-el...mandoloin-1956
    1913 F4, 1914 H1, 1915 A1, 1923 F2, 2007 Jim Rowland F5

It's back....attempting to getting flipped for more than double

https://reverb.com/item/57516241-fen...ard-shell-case
    Chris from Tucson
    2007 Heiden Artist F5 #F102
    1919 Gibson A3 #49762 (found on eBay for $15!!)
    2022 Austin Clark Octave #159
    1922 Gibson H1 Mandola #70063
    1972 Martin D-18 (modified by Bryan Kimsey)
    2024 Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

Much better photos….

Nice typo-"post" instead of pots. 1966 date-all the features, the logo, case and tuners pointed to this era.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Gray View Post
    It's back....attempting to getting flipped for more than double

https://reverb.com/item/57516241-fen...ard-shell-case

Basically, Retrofret took a $4000 gamble that it was all correct and original, despite the questions raised on this forum and lack of good photos on the shopgoodwill site. They won -- but how many buyers are out there for such an instrument? Maybe some rock star who just got signed and is filling their music room -- I've heard stories from Nashville of such musicians dropping $50,000 in an afternoon picking up a few new toys....and had they lost the gamble -- it would only be worth the price of a refinished vintage Fender mandolin, that is, much less than the $4000 spent. OTOH, they are in NYC so they could probably at least get their money back, so maybe not such a gamble after all...

Anyway, with the neck and pickguard off it shows many of the same Fender hallmarks seen in vintage Fender guitars -- the paint stick shadow in the neck pocket, the 60's aluminum shielding with the aluminum manufacturers ink stamping, the finish fading seen on other vintage Fender guitars, pots, etc., all check out OK. I give Retrofret credit for writing a good sales spiel explaining the rarity for those who might care.

My thinking is that if it were a Lake Placid Blue Stratocaster in the same condition it would be worth insane money. As a mandolin, who knows?
    Last edited by Jeff Mando; Jul-08-2022 at 3:36pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    My thinking is that if it were a Lake Placid Blue Stratocaster in the same condition it would be worth insane money. As a mandolin, who knows?
    Reverb's assessment:
    https://reverb.com/price-guide/guide...ke-placid-blue

13. The following members say thank you to jefflester for this post:

I mention Retrofret being the seller on the Reverb link. Not sure if Retrofret is actually the owner or if it is a consignment from a "speculator." Regardless, the same points apply....

Their reverb site shows it as gone. Retrofret's site shows it as being on hold.