Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bourgeois Mandolins!

Default Bourgeois Mandolins!

It’s finally happening, Bourgeois mandolins! To skip to the mandolin content, go to about 11 minutes in...

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Demetrius For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Bourgeois Mandolins!

The A is $2699 for an A-style. Ouch. That's a lot of money - certainly pushing into Northfield territory. I wonder how the Fs will price and match up. (Note my sig, I really don't have a dog in this fight. Oh, and I have a Bourgeois OM, too!)
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

4. The following members say thank you to keith.rogers for this post:

These are part of the Eastman partnership then?
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Eastman has control of the company. So, yes, these are going to be made for the most part in China. The Maine facility is small, and most of the original employees have left. I’m not sure they are going to be at the build level of Northfield either.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandobar For This Useful Post:

James tailpiece and cured back.

I’ve never played an instrument with Bosnian maple.

Northfield at that price point has a finish that is very conducive to good tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    Eastman has control of the company. So, yes, these are going to be made for the most part in China. The Maine facility is small, and most of the original employees have left.
    I seem to recall that they made a pretty substantial expansion to their factory in the last few years.

And, in terms of many of the original employees leaving, I don't know that that says a whole lot about either quality or craftsmanship. I mean, Bourgeois branded guitars were being made in the early 90s, it would be quite unusual for that many of the original employees to still be there, and some of the people who left are now well known luthiers in their own right, like John Slobod. Either way, I don't think it says a lot about quality potential, unless there's been a lot of turn-over lately that I haven't heard about (which is certainly possible)... especially when it comes to mandolins.

There’s no way the small shop they have in Lewiston (which is in an old Mill down the street from where they were several years back) is going to have the capacity to make more instruments, especially at that price point. The 3k to 4k guitars are made mostly in China. The upper end guitars are still made in Lewiston but they have lost a lot of staff, well after John Slobad left. I used to visit the factory occasionally, but don’t anyone there since the Eastman buyout. Eastman has at least a 30% stake in the company. At the price point quoted there’s no way they can make these in Maine. As with their mid-level guitars (some of which have the Bourgeois name) these will likely be made in Eastman’s facilities, at least at the quoted price point.

As for QC, that will all depend. I know TME has ended their relationship with Bourgeois. Whatever is in stock is all the new stock they will be getting.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

No, clearly these mandos are not made in Maine. It seemed that there were a couple of comments wondering if this might signal that there would be some made in the Maine.

They’d have to be triple that price if they are going to be made here. Eastman is going to play to their strengths which is a full factory manufacturing model. However at that price point, the quality is going to have to be on par with Northfield, which is going to require better oversight from what their model is generally. Better but work, hardware, bridges, fretwork, etc.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mandobar For This Useful Post:

Also in the Eastman/Bourgeois booth is the new upgrade to the Eastman octave mandolin series—MDO-605. Didn't play it, hear it, or even see its flamed maple back, but it looks pretty nice. Has a built-in K&K pickup too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4052.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	624.0 KB 
ID:	201354
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4053.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	477.3 KB 
ID:	201355

15. The following members say thank you to Doug Freeman for this post:

Sorry I don’t mean anything by this, it’s just confusing.
    So these mandolins, the MD 605’s, are made in China but they can’t be made in the US for this price?

Maybe Eastman are consolidating, preparing to begin production in the US again? This has to be a pretty large profit margin from a mandolin made in China?
    And what’s with the name, Bourgeois, probably not for the European market?
    -During the French revolution lots of quite bad things happened to the Bourgeois, or maybe it’s some sort of nostalgia thing. I don’t know.
    Or just the name of a founder?

Quote Originally Posted by Simon DS View Post
    Sorry I don’t mean anything by this, it’s just confusing.
    So these mandolins, the MD 605’s, are made in China but they can’t be made in the US for this price?

Maybe Eastman are consolidating, preparing to begin production in the US again? This has to be a pretty large profit margin from a mandolin made in China?
    And what’s with the name, Bourgeois, probably not for the European market?
    -During the French revolution lots of quite bad things happened to the Bourgeois, or maybe it’s some sort of nostalgia thing. I don’t know.
    Or just the name of a founder?
    The company was started by a fella named Dana Bourgeois.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mainer73 For This Useful Post:

This branding initiative reminds me of the D’Angelico Ukulele

I remember hearing there would be a collaboration between Bourgeois and Eastman to make mandolins, but maybe I missed the bigger picture. Did Eastman purchase the Bourgeois guitar company completely?

They bought a majority share. Dana is in pursuit of retirement. Eastman is his exit plan. Bourgeois has always had a venture capital group which provided funding. This is a bit different as Eastman appears to driving the business model now.

As for plans to expand the US production, there’s been no mention of that. In fact they’ve had a hard time hiring and retaining the staff they need to build in the US.

Fretboard Journal interviewed Dana a year ago, and that may have been the first mention of the mandolins. https://www.fretboardjournal.com/pod...ana-bourgeois/

I hope that some music store will post a side-by-side demo of the Bourgeois mando with a Northfield M and a Collings MT, since they're all A models within a relatively narrow price range. Maybe if Two Old Hippies revives the Weber line, they can join this party.

I think that the last guitar builder to enter the mando world was Larrivee, which produced mandolins for a few years a decade ago. I played a couple, which were pretty good, but they were priced over $3K back then, and I thought that the Webers and Collings at that price point at that time were a step up. I reckon that many players shared my opinion, since Larrivee discontinued their mando line pretty quickly.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

23. The following members say thank you to Marcus CA for this post:

Comes the Revolution, Bourgeois mandolins will be replaced by Proletarian mandolins. Only available in one style, ten-year wait for delivery, made from sturdy peasant materials.

Pickers of the World, Unite!
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

25. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

Teacher, repair person

I've always considered Strad-o-lins and Regals to be proletarian mandolins. Perhaps Kalamazoos also.
    Kay and Harmony? Not so sure they have enough pride to qualify for the appellation.
    A good proletariat should be honorable.

"If the key of E is the people's key, then what is the key of the bourgeousie?"
    --The Central Park Sheiks
    Last edited by rcc56; Jun-06-2022 at 2:18am.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcc56 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Comes the Revolution, Bourgeois mandolins will be replaced by Proletarian mandolins. Only available in one style, ten-year wait for delivery, made from sturdy peasant materials.

Pickers of the World, Unite!
    Ha, ha, Allen, looks like it’s Perles not Proles.
    https://www.perleguitars.com/guitar-bodies/

29. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

If Sonny Morris can hand make awesome mandolins in the US for $1000, Bourgeois should have no issues making them in the US for more than twice that. Sure, they're using fancier wood and inlays and hardware, but still.

31. The following members say thank you to milli857 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by milli857 View Post
    If Sonny Morris can hand make awesome mandolins in the US for $1000, Bourgeois should have no issues making them in the US for more than twice that. Sure, they're using fancier wood and inlays and hardware, but still.
    You might think that, but employees are expensive, requiring: more floor space, more equipment, training, insurance, more utilities, supervision, etc. I'll bet 99% of single shop makers don't make near $30/ net, while a few a very successful. And I'll bet the supply of skilled mandolins craftspeople in Maine is quite low.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

33. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

Sonny is not paying benefits to a group of employees along with workman’s compensation insurance, etc. is he? Does he even have employees? Seriously, I can’t see where, after he pays himself a salary, which he probably does not, he is actually making a profit. Now, that business model/approach might be acceptable for a sole proprietor, but companies don’t work that way. And certainly not a company that manufactures on a fairly large scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    Sonny is not paying benefits to a group of employees along with workman’s compensation insurance, etc. is he? Does he even have employees? Seriously, I can’t see where, after he pays himself a salary, which he probably does not, he is actually making a profit. Now, that business model/approach might be acceptable for a sole proprietor, but companies don’t work that way. And certainly not a company that manufactures on a fairly large scale.
    That's true but economy of scale helps with costs as you build more stuff. And I'm not saying they should charge exactly what he does, just that they should be able to make mandolins in the US for $2700 for an A style. Plenty of other makers do.

That's true but economy of scale helps with costs as you build more stuff. And I'm not saying they should charge exactly what he does, just that they should be able to make mandolins in the US for $2700 for an A style. Plenty of other makers do.
    What I said was also partially in praise of how awesome it is that Sonny sells his mandolins for such and affordable price.

Other than Northfield what other US makers are making a playable, presentable A style mandolin in any quantities? And I’m not talking about solo builders who I suspect are not really making money on their instruments. Economy of scale only works at very high output levels.

Think about it, there’s between $500 to $800 in materials alone on an A build. This includes hardware, wood, binding, case, etc. add in labor and you are well over $1000.

That doesn’t leave room to pay a living wage, at least not in the US.