Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bourgeois Mandolins!

Default Re: Bourgeois Mandolins!

I wonder if these positions would be easier to fill if there was a means to obtain the training without sacrificing livelihood to attend one of the very few (unpaid) apprenticeship opportunities and/or years of making mistakes in your basement. There's not exactly a development track for wannabe mandolin makers outside of this method. Until there is, I doubt they'll find luthiers here.

They are looking for experienced mandolin luthiers. I don’t know how many builders who would give up their own building to move to Lewiston, Maine and work in a shop that has pretty high turnover.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    They are looking for experienced mandolin luthiers. I don’t know how many builders who would give up their own building to move to Lewiston, Maine and work in a shop that has pretty high turnover.
    My thoughts exactly. And one has to wonder how much longer the Maine shop will be here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainer73 View Post
    My thoughts exactly. And one has to wonder how much longer the Maine shop will be here.
    Only as long as Eastman needs Dana to participate, or when his contract with them ends. Mrs. Bourgeois is a corporate attorney, so I am sure the terms were negotiated so that he has an exit strategy.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Only as long as Eastman needs Dana to participate, or when his contract with them ends. Mrs. Bourgeois is a corporate attorney, so I am sure the terms were negotiated so that he has an exit strategy.
    I'm sure. It was a rhetorical question anyway. 🤣

Teacher, repair person

Have prices been announced for Bourgeois mandolins?

The second post on this thread indicates The A is $2699 for an A-style. Ouch. That's a lot of money - certainly pushing into Northfield territory.

I think by the time you actually see any the price will be closer to $3k.

The second post on this thread indicates The A is $2699 for an A-style. Ouch. That's a lot of money - certainly pushing into Northfield territory.

I think by the time you actually see any the price will be closer to $3k.
    Hard to compare without one in our hands, but for 3K you can get a mint Collings A with some extra options.

I paid 1800 for a beat up MT, 4 years ago and has been the best money I have spent on Mandolins.

Yes, 4 years ago, you could get a Collings MT2 for around $3k. Now that they are in short supply and over $5k new, you might be able to get an MT, used, for $3k. I think that Bourgeois is pricing themselves into the market just under Northfield's M model. If they can sustain the price (which I think is going to be hard to do) and can get dealers on board, and the quality is consistent, then they might be able to mark a presence in the market, but that is a big if, and it will be heavily dependent on materials costs.

Quote Originally Posted by starrbri View Post
    Hard to compare without one in our hands, but for 3K you can get a mint Collings A with some extra options.
    And you can also get a new basic Northfield F-5, if the scroll matters.

Based only on the two demo videos that I have seen, although I generally like the sound of Bourgeois' guitars over Collings', I can't say that the tone of the Bourgeois A mando beats either the Collings MT or the Northfield F-5 --- and I like the Northfield Big Mon, but not really their standard F-5. I'm not even sure that it beats the tone of an 800-level Eastman, which would be a bit cheaper.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Russ Jordan

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Russ Jordan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by starrbri View Post
    The street price appears to be right around $2,400 with most shops offering free shipping. A couple of weeks ago I picked up an early "catch & release" Bourgeois mandolin at a discounted price. I'm not experienced enough to give a full review, but I can say that it's a beautiful instrument with a nice balanced, even tone. And it can get loud. I have a Collings MT and it is overall better sounding, but as others have said, that instrument today, new, is more expensive. I recently sold an Eastman 815 and feel the Bourgeois is a far better instrument.
    I contacted Bourgeois to see if this instrument had a bolt on neck, like Bourgeois guitars and was told no, it's a traditional dovetail joint.
    I guess the best compare and contrast would be with a Northfield M which fits into that price point.
    " Give me some words I can dance to and a melody that rhymes" - Steve Goodman

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Jordan View Post
    In his hands, the mandolin sounds great to me.

Thanks for posting.
    “Mandolin brands are a guide, not Gospel “
    - Data Nick

15. The following members say thank you to cayuga red for this post:

I'm thinking about buying one of these when they start selling, probably end of summer/fall. I played an Eastman MD915-BD that I really loved, and I think these are similar.

Why companies and private luthiers are still building mandolins with the dreaded "black tongue" extension (see above image) is beyond me. I mean does anybody out there think that actually looks good?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Glassweb View Post
    Why companies and private luthiers are still building mandolins with the dreaded "black tongue" extension (see above image) is beyond me. I mean does anybody out there think that actually looks good?!?
    I don't think it looks bad at all.

19. The following members say thank you to Tommcgtx for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tommcgtx View Post
    I don't think it looks bad at all.
    And there you go... what do I know?!?

Interesting. I would think the Northfield Model M and the F5S would be steep competition in that price range.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Leyda View Post
    Interesting. I would think the Northfield Model M and the F5S would be steep competition in that price range.
    The differences between Northfield's F5S and the Bourgeois M5-F as far as I can tell are the torrified wood, fretboard binding and the back binding on the Bourgeois, as far as features go. I'm still considering both right now.

Blog Entries

I'm thinking about buying one of these when they start selling, probably end of summer/fall. I played an Eastman MD915-BD that I really loved, and I think these are similar.

We're looking forward to getting these into our shop. So far I've been very impressed with the prototypes that I've been able to play. I'll make a post on this thread when I get word that they are on the way.

Jeremy Chapman
    The Acoustic Shoppe

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MandolinChapman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MandolinChapman View Post
    We're looking forward to getting these into our shop. So far I've been very impressed with the prototypes that I've been able to play. I'll make a post on this thread when I get word that they are on the way.

Jeremy Chapman
    The Acoustic Shoppe
    In your opinion, how do they compare with a Northfield F5S?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    I'll bet the supply of skilled mandolins craftspeople in Maine is quite low.
    And you would not be wrong...

There's 10 M5A styles out on Reverb right now. Price seems to be right at $2400. Clocks in around $400 cheaper than the Northfield Model M. I guess at that price the onus is on the Northfield to be better. $400 price difference may not be much if your spending 10k but for the 2-3k price range it is significant.

Here's the Model M for comparison:
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

Does anyone have a A model that they’ve purchased?

Blog Entries

In your opinion, how do they compare with a Northfield F5S?
    To be honest, I wish I could try out more of both of these to give a good assessment. I've played only a couple of the F5S mandolins, and they sounded and played really good. I've played about 4 prototypes and one final Bourgeous mandolins, and they are right there with the F5S mandolins that I've played. I need to get my hands on one of each to do a back-to-back comparison, but without both in front of me, I would rate them neck and neck. Just different appointments and features, depending on what you're looking for. I would say the Northfield seems a little deeper and woodier, while the Bourgeous is a little crisper and clear, but will need played a bit to open up the low end.

Jeremy Chapman
    The Acoustic Shoppe

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MandolinChapman For This Useful Post: