Thread: Asleep at the Wheel

Default Asleep at the Wheel

I saw Asleep at the Wheel live last night at an outdoor festival in Iowa City, Iowa. Rain held off till they were through as it swung north of the show. They were as hot as they ever have been. They had Dennis Ludiker alternating on second fiddle and mandolin. He did Tiny Moore proud on Tiger Rag and a couple of other numbers. They had Radislav Lorkovic, who is originally from the area, setting in on keyboards.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CarlM For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Asleep at the Wheel

I used to play in an Iowa City group back in the 70's with their current keyboard player, Rad. He was a dynamic player back then. The Daily Iowan profiled us under the headline "Still miles from a hit single". I haven't heard ASATW since he joined, but I'm sure that they smoked!

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Good to hear.

I understand Ray Benson took a pretty big hit from the CoVid some time back.

I enjoy that they still play gigs in tiny towns and venues.

I'm not meaning that in terms of Iowa City, of course, a lovely place I had the pleasure of visiting.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

ray benson is still the king of swing ..ive seen them several times and it seems they just get better everytime what a great voice ray has and his homespun guitar video is a must have

I saw them first in the late 70s and just pre-shutdown. Always a tight, tight, talented band and great show.
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

Heard broadcasts never seen them in person but, would love to!!!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

A good friend of mine from Lubbock (and an AATW fan) moved to Perth, Australia about five years ago and sure enough saw Lucky Oceans play there as well.

I consider that a positive coincidence.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Quote Originally Posted by John Soper View Post
    I used to play in an Iowa City group back in the 70's with their current keyboard player, Rad. He was a dynamic player back then. The Daily Iowan profiled us under the headline "Still miles from a hit single". I haven't heard ASATW since he joined, but I'm sure that they smoked!
    Just out of curiosity which group did you play with, John?

Dennis Ludiker is one of THE most under rated fiddle and mandolin players anywhere. He's awesome!!!
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pete Martin For This Useful Post:

I saw AATW in May 1997 at the Broken Spoke. I was lucky enough for two years to get to finish business trips in the USA, in Austin and stay at the Driskill Hotel. Rosie Flores was with them at that time but that evening Floyd Domino was there watching and to sit in for the Professor for a few numbers on piano and I was able to have a good chat with him. One thing I do remember, was that Ray Benson had a ceiling tile removed above where he stood on the stage so he could wear a very big hat! A great night listening ( and dancing) to a great band and I cannot believe it was 25 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlM View Post
    Just out of curiosity which group did you play with, John?
    I am curious too, I played a lot with Rad thru the 90's. Iowa public radio was fun, but we played so many fun gigs. Even played his wedding because he wanted to be able to play with us. That has regretfully gone by the wayside, ah the life of a musician. Haven't seen him in a couple years. Missed him a few times locally here, one of these days.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    I saw AATW in May 1997 at the Broken Spoke. I was lucky enough for two years to get to finish business trips in the USA, in Austin and stay at the Driskill Hotel. Rosie Flores was with them at that time but that evening Floyd Domino was there watching and to sit in for the Professor for a few numbers on piano and I was able to have a good chat with him. One thing I do remember, was that Ray Benson had a ceiling tile removed above where he stood on the stage so he could wear a very big hat! A great night listening ( and dancing) to a great band and I cannot believe it was 25 years ago.
    Ha! Good memory....But those ceiling tiles were removed so the fiddle players wouldn't poke holes in them when they grew enthusiastic....you could see lots of bow chunks knocked out in the adjacent tiles. That it worked to accommodate RB's hat was a useful side benefit.

On another side note....when I moved to Austin 10 years previous to your visit the Spoke was pretty much out there by itself. Now it's surrounded by and dwarfed by South Austin sprawl. Too much of the city is getting torn down and paved over. But that's for another thread.

I've been to the BS too many times to count, but remember the good helpful days when the men's room was stocked with a wide array of manly accoutrements to be had for some spare change. Might require a credit card now.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    A good friend of mine from Lubbock (and an AATW fan) moved to Perth, Australia about five years ago and sure enough saw Lucky Oceans play there as well.

I consider that a positive coincidence.

Mick
    I've seen Lucky Oceans play in Perth several times.

He used to have a regular Friday night pub gig down the river in Fremantle on accordion and various types of steel guitar with his excellent group The Zydecats.

Actually, I say, "used to" - I just looked them up and they have resumed playing monthly Sunday sessions at Clancy's Fish Pub in Fremantle as of yesterday.
    Bren

16. The following members say thank you to Bren for this post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Saw them around '71 in a triple-header at the Berkeley Community Center, along with Dan Hicks and his Hot Licks and Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen.

Even speaking as a long-time Deadhead, it was one of the best shows I've ever been to.
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charlie Bernstein For This Useful Post:

CarlM & Pops1:

I was in a guitar-heavy vocal trio 1970-74 that eventually morphed into Just Family & Friends- a 6 or 7 piece Country Rock band. Rad played keys, I played guitars, pedal steel (poorly) and some Levon Helms style mandolin on a few tunes. We played the Sanctuary, IMU, Diamond Lil's, the Mill, Gabe & Walkers, some frat parties, frat night at Shakey's Pizza, and some bars down in Hills & around IC. Dan Keely joined us to play pedal steel for several months right before his untimely death. The band dissolved in 1977 when the drummer decided to get a steady job when he got engaged - washing dishes at the Skelly Diner night shift - and I decided I'd be better off getting serious about Med School. It was fun while it lasted & many miles from a hit single.

Nice John. I was playing guitar in a folk music duo then, then as a solo. Was playing harp in a blues band when we played with Rad. The guitar player and I had played with him a couple of times, but the first time the rest of the band played with him we were hired in a college town to play together. Rad was in New York City the night before and left after the gig and got to Iowa just about the time we were going to take our first break. After we played a set someone came up to me and ask how long we'd been playing together, I said about an hour. They thought it was hard to believe. Rad was very good at figuring out what was going on musically. the first time the guitar player and me played with him we played a Joe Price song, which we did when we wanted to test someones skill. It goes from the 1 to a b4, 4,2, 1, 5. rad missed it the first time, but had it the second time. It's an unusual change so we knew he was good. We had a lot of fun playing with Rad. Played with Joe for a while too, recorded some with him. He would have been the guitar player in the Mother Blues band. If you were in Iowa City then you most likely remember them. It's been a fun 40+ years playing music, still doing it and having fun, but it's harder now. Must be an age thing. haha
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I saw them in Ann Arbor, Michigan in 1985. They were great then, and that seems an unheralded era for them.

22. The following members say thank you to Joe K for this post:

Saw them several times at the Lawrence Opera House (now Liberty Hall) in Lawrence, Kansas in the 70’s. Probably an eight piece band then with two female singers (Chris O’Connell and Mary Ann Price) and The Wheel rocked the house beyond comprehension. Reefer filled the air along with mass quantities of beer and it was always a joyous dance party to behold. One evening, Ray Benson did a back flip off the grand piano (I think Ray is about 6'7” tall) and Lucky Oceans was off the charts on pedal steel as I recall. Oh the days of yore.

I saw them four or five years ago locally at the Tower Theater and they were amazing but a totally different vibe…as to be expected.. The bass player totally brought down the house that night with his prowess on the upright.
    Last edited by Jim Roberts; Jun-16-2022 at 12:08am.

Ah, yes, Asleep at the Wheel - Danced to them a few times in Austin while we lived there, once Dolly Parton sat in for a set since she was filming nearby. We also were regulars at the Broken Spoke; dancing to Al Dresden’s Super Swing Review, which included Chris O’Connell and Mary Ann Price and a slew of excellent musicians. Damn, that was some good music!

25. The following members say thank you to Denis Kearns for this post:

Years ago I would see Don Walser at his weekly gig in Austin -- world class stuff quietly hidden in a neighborhood bar. RIP DW.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Roberts View Post
    Saw them several times at the Lawrence Opera House (now Liberty Hall) in Lawrence, Kansas in the 70’s.
    I've seen some great shows at the RedDog/OperaHouse/LibertyHall venue, including David Grisman, Finnegan and Wood, and Leo Kottke. My wife and I had our first date there in 1974.

28. The following members say thank you to David L for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Years ago I would see Don Walser at his weekly gig in Austin -- world class stuff quietly hidden in a neighborhood bar. RIP DW.
    I first heard of Walser when a local mall record store was using his music to run customers out at closing time. I finally convinced the clerk to sell me the CD out of the store sound system; the only copy in the place.
    Barry

2020 Northfield 4th Gen #14
    Pavel Sucek F-5 w/Skip Kelly top
    1996 BellMaster F-5 (Carl Cates)
    A bunch of fiddles and a couple D-28s

30. The following members say thank you to Bacfire for this post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Glad you mentioned that. I have a three-CD Walser set that I haven't pulled out in years. It's time!

I heard him in concert once, part of Tish Hinohosa's Border Tour. He told a story of playing at a county fair somewhere. A kid listened to him intently for a while, then came up to him and said, "Do you know any country music?"

Now 'scuse me while I go practice my yodeling!
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

32. The following members say thank you to Charlie Bernstein for this post:

I resisted mentioning the yodeling for fear it might run a few people off, but believe me it is yodeling in the BEST possible way.

Interesting story, http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Mkvii7lEXE the first time I heard Walser was actually on a CD playing at Emo's in Austin (a mostly punk rock/rock'n'roll club) about 30 years ago. The song, believe it or not, was The Long Black Veil -- which was completely transformed into a wonderful new arrangement largely due to Walser's vocals being so unique. I wrongly assumed it must be some Americana band, which was a somewhat new genre at the time or perhaps some British band I had never heard of. I asked one of the bartenders who it was and they said Don Walser, whom I'd never heard of. He added, "oh yeah, he's an old local dude and has a weekly gig at such and such bar" -- or something to that effect. Anyway, I immediately went to Waterloo Records and bought the CD and saw him live a few days later.

Needless to say, his music has brought me a lot of enjoyment over the years....