Thread: Vintage mandolins with wider nut/fingerboard width?

Default Vintage mandolins with wider nut/fingerboard width?

Are there vintage mandolins to look for that have a bit more width than the standard? Coming from fingerstyle and classical guitar, it's just really a PITA to get used to the standard (for me) narrow width of most mandos. Thanks! Dave

Default Re: Vintage mandolins with wider nut/fingerboard width?

My '22 Gibson has a nut width of 1 1/4"
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

My Espana is also has 1 1/4"nut width. To my surprise, here is an online photo of it. (Note that "it's gone" because I bought it, after negotiating down the price.)

https://reverb.com/item/25350192-espana-mandolin
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

"Vintage" mandolins...with the way that specific terms use to mean something specific, but no longer do, I have no idea what anyone means by "vintage", but if we go by my definition...

A pre-adjustable truss rod (pre-1922) Gibson A or F model will have about the widest neck of any vintage mandolin. I too always desired the widest possible string spacing at the nut, until...I went "all the way" and got the ultimate vintage Gibson mandolin, which only comes in one nut width (narrow) and also has a flat fretboard (I like an arched 'board) and tiny frets (I like larger frets), and much to my surprise...I had no problem acclimating to any of these features. So if you like the instrument, the criteria we think important may be less important...?
    too many strings

5. The following members say thank you to musicofanatic for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by musicofanatic View Post
    "Vintage" mandolins...with the way that specific terms use to mean something specific, but no longer do, I have no idea what anyone means by "vintage", but if we go by my definition...
    Well, I'm vintage and the Espana was made in the decade after I was born. When I was in my twenties, I would have considered a sixty-year-old item to have been made a long time ago. I notice that as I get older, many "antiques" for sale are younger than me. However, your point is taken.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

7. The following members say thank you to Ranald for this post:

Sigh. Not to get too sidetracked. I meant "vintage" as in older or antique. But not something being made in since about 1950

Teacher, repair person

Pre truss rod oval hole Gibsons measure slightly over 1 3/16" at the nut. A few of the earliest Gibsons with truss rods are the same width, but the necks were narrowed almost immediately.

The early Lyon & Healy carved models also measure 1 3/16". It seem to remember that a late one that I worked on some years back might have been a bit narrower, but still not anywhere near as narrow as a modern Gibson.

Most Martin mandolins were specified at 1 3/16". A Vega cylinder back measures closer to 1 1/8".

Any of the above instruments would be wider than most modern mandolins. However, some builders are starting to offer new instruments with wider fingerboards.

Thanks to reverb and Guitar Center, the word "vintage" no longer has any significant meaning other than "more that 15 years old."

Some of the oval hole Gibsons are wonderful mandolins. They do vary somewhat in tone and projection, so you may have to try a few before you find one that's really good. It's hard to go wrong with a carved Lyon & Healy. They are remarkably consistent from instrument to instrument.
    Last edited by rcc56; Dec-11-2022 at 10:57pm.

The '22 I mentioned has a paddle headstock, truss rod, adjustable bridge, and the 1 1/4" nut. Wonderful sound too.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

My experience exactly. The mandolin inspires you, you play it and adjust to it.
    Most of the Gibsons from the 'teens through the 20's have wide nuts.
    Still, if you find one that moves you...go for it and you'll find a way.

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Gibson 1921 H1 Mandola
    Numerous wonderful guitars

As rcc56 said, My 20 F4 is slightly wider than 1 3/16", most of those early F4s are quite nice.

You can always get a more modern wide nut, they are less common but they are out there.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"