Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Golden Gate "Clown Barf" Extra Stiff Pick

Default Golden Gate "Clown Barf" Extra Stiff Pick

I just got one after jonesing for a new pick for a while and I've just got say that I am wildly impressed by the tone that is produced by this thing.

I've had my blue chip CT-55 for approaching 10 years and I don't know if it's just the first time I've used a picked with all rounded edges in a good while, but this pick has made me put the blue chip in my pick case for the first time in a long, long time. Something about the way this Golden Gate strikes the E string puts me in heaven.

As a side note, I thought about ordering an Apollo, but in all the sound clips I've just not really been able to tell the difference between it and a blue chip, so I decided to go for something very different.
    Blevins E5
    Weber Yellowstone Custom Shop Distressed

Default Re: Golden Gate "Clown Barf" Extra Stiff Pick

I really enjoy mine also. My 1916 Gibson A1 really comes to life using this pick. I love my Blue Chip with my Laplant F style, but it does'nt bring out the best in the Gibson.

Main advantage, easier to see when you drop it, Over regular Dawg/GG.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I like them in any color but the CB and celluloid are easy to see.

Anyone found a source for these besides Banjo Ben? If all I want is picks, his shipping charge is enormous.
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

Quote Originally Posted by RobP View Post
    Anyone found a source for these besides Banjo Ben? If all I want is picks, his shipping charge is enormous.
    My shipping was 3.99 from there
    Blevins E5

Banjo Ben sells a lot of different kinds of picks. I just buy a bunch (to spread out the $4 s/h) and throw the ones I don't like in the collection that I'll dump at Fuller's one of these days if they get something in that tempts me to make the drive.

I tried a couple of the X-STIFF CB ones and they are interesting. Not going to pull me away from the Apollo (Mike Marshal) I still like, but definitely preferred over the Primetones that I have as backups (behind the Pro-Plecs). I might pull those out at a jam because of their visibility when dropped!
    2009 Eastman MD815/V
    2019 Northfield NF-F5S
    some home music videos

The Golden Gate X-Stiff and Stiff are my go-to picks at the moment. I find that the Stiff version wears much quicker than X-Stiff. However, I can get a smoother tremolo with Stiff. I'm torn between the two.

This may sound weird, but I use polishing compound on them and it helps them slide even better across the strings.

Quote Originally Posted by gfury View Post
    The Golden Gate X-Stiff and Stiff are my go-to picks at the moment. I find that the Stiff version wears much quicker than X-Stiff. However, I can get a smoother tremolo with Stiff. I'm torn between the two.

This may sound weird, but I use polishing compound on them and it helps them slide even better across the strings.
    What do you use exactly?

I'm probably going to order a couple more just as extras. I got out my blue chip the other night and I just far prefer the tone of the Golden Gate right now.
    Blevins E5

Quote Originally Posted by NotACreativeName View Post
    What do you use exactly?

I'm probably going to order a couple more just as extras. I got out my blue chip the other night and I just far prefer the tone of the Golden Gate right now.
    I use automotive polishing compound. I just had this container lying around and started using it.

11. The following members say thank you to gfury for this post:

Looks like stiff and x-stiff are out of stock! Bummer, was planning to order a few based on the comments and price.

Some clown barfed on my mandolin and I like it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0864A0D1-B1BB-48AD-9C95-78F513B0B903.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	548.1 KB 
ID:	201522

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ruknrole For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RobP View Post
    Sold by the dozen on Golden Gate's Amazon store.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/B...e&ref_=ast_bln
    Eastman MD315 Mandolin

16. The following members say thank you to Chris Fannin for this post:

gfury 

Out of stock there too. Must be hard to get enough clowns to barf.
    Palatable to a Goat: Music from Gregg Daigle and Don Grieser
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com

I bought two from BB and I liked them very much , but I found them too slippery than the primetone and D' addarrio CT, IMO.

I think y'all have converted me!

I just got some and the tone is much sweeter than the Primetones I have been using. We'll see how much problem I have with slipping out of my fingers. I really liked the textured Primetones for that reason. If it's a problem, I'll probably drill holes in them Wegen-style.
    Last edited by milli857; Jun-21-2022 at 7:33pm.
    Morris F5 #482, Kentucky KM-150s

Just got a dozen X-Stiff pearloid - I like this pick.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086Z6HQTP...roduct_details
    Eastman MD315 Mandolin

One thing I've noticed - the CB Stiff is thicker than an equivalent Fender Heavy triangle. And the edge is definitely different.

Don't have a Fender Extra Heavy to compare with the Extra Stiff, but wouldn't be surprised if it's similarly thicker.

Been taking a liking to these again. At least for practice at home. When either band is practicing or playing, I still prefer a Wegen or BC. Seem to be able to coax a bit more volume out of the instrument.
    2000 Brentrup Model 23 #6, Peter Coombe #248, Gibson A Jr, '82 Flatiron 1SB, Strad-O-Lin, Eastman MDO-305
    http://ericplatt.weebly.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Anyone know where to get these clown barfs?

I cant imagine id switch for good from my Dunlop 207's but I like trying picks out
    Arsenal:
    Turkey Creek #63 | Eastman MD905 | Martin D-18 GE | Eastman E20D-tc | Gibson Les Paul x2
    Fender Telecaster Amer Std. | Gibson SG Jr. | Ibanez PM2 | Eastman t486 | Fender Amer Deluxe P Bass
    Fender Eric Clapton Strat

Banjo Ben usually has them in stock.

I bought some on Amazon this week. I think they had 3 packs left in stock.

When I was a kid I wanted a clown barf pick so badly but they hadn’t been made for years. So I cut up a bunch of picks and stuck them in a toaster oven together to make my own. I think you can imagine what happened next…

26. The following members say thank you to fazio for this post:

Great picks.

I've been trying a couple of the clown-barf versions (large and rounded triangle), and they are not bad.

The one large triangle developed a slight nick, or "chipped out" it seems, where a couple colors met along an edge. Nothing a nail file couldn't file out, but, it did seem to be a consequence of molding a bunch of different pieces together.

And, I have been comparing a "faux tortoise" version of the same, X-STIFF rounded triangle versions from GG vs. the clown-barf one, and there's a slight difference in tone, with the latter being just a bit brighter. Now, I don't know that it's anything other than variance of the particular piece of plastics they used to stamp/cut these things out of, or if it's something akin to the "grip" vs. "smooth" Primetone picks, where the grip version is brighter [THEORY: because the plastic gets manipulated/pressed more and so is not as dense] even at the same thickness. Anyway, I think, at the price, I'll stick with the faux-TS. And the large triangle, to me, doesn't quite add anything I don't get from a smooth Primetone 1.5, though it is a bit cheaper and easier to find on a dark floor.
    2009 Eastman MD815/V
    2019 Northfield NF-F5S
    some home music videos

Just got in some extra stiff. Enjoying them so far. As long as they hold up for a decent whole, they might be my go to.

They glide quick off the strings. Slightly darker tone than a prime tone to my ears but brighter than a ceasin from Apollo.