Thread: Single TI Mandola String

Default Single TI Mandola String

Anyone have, or know where I can acquire, a single TI mandola string? I’ve exhausted JustStrings. I need the D string for a standard American made mandola with a 15” scale.
    I guess that would be one from a set of 164s. Those sets are way too expensive for me to buy a whole new set.

I’m happy to pay. Thanks.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Default Re: Single TI Mandola String

Hey Mike!

Are you installing TI’s on the Pomeroy? I’d like to try flatwounds on my Smart mandola with a 16.25” scale at some point. Would the 164’s be the right set?

Best,
    Pat
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

See if you can find it at emando.com, operated by member mrmando. Quite a selection. If it isn't there, he can likely direct you to a solution.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Hey Pat!
    Yes. Actually I wanted to try an octave pair (one fat, one skinny) on the Pomeroy. An experiment to see if I can get a little more “bite” on the C string. Stupid idea, maybe, but Don Paine is making me another mandola right now. I’m going to choose one of these two to keep, so I want to put this one through its paces. Bruce W put this set of TIs on the Pom. The package still in the case says 174 Medium, 17 3/4”. That should fit yours nicely. Brace yourself, though, around $70 a set, on sale. If I were doing this again, I would get someone at Just Strings on the phone and be VERY SPECIFIC on exactly what I want, and what they are sending. I paid a wad for a set for my Weber OM—too short. I sold them here for $50.

5. The following members say thank you to Mike Buesseler for this post:

All the mandola strings I could find at emando are flatwounds for electric instruments.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buesseler View Post
    Hey Pat!
    Yes. Actually I wanted to try an octave pair (one fat, one skinny) on the Pomeroy. An experiment to see if I can get a little more “bite” on the C string. Stupid idea, maybe, but Don Paine is making me another mandola right now. I’m going to choose one of these two to keep, so I want to put this one through its paces. Bruce W put this set of TIs on the Pom. The package still in the case says 174 Medium, 17 3/4”. That should fit yours nicely. Brace yourself, though, around $70 a set, on sale. If I were doing this again, I would get someone at Just Strings on the phone and be VERY SPECIFIC on exactly what I want, and what they are sending. I paid a wad for a set for my Weber OM—too short. I sold them here for $50.
    That’s been my concern for my 21.5” scale Black GBOM.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Does anyone know the diameter of the string we're talking about?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I don’t. I guess I should, but I thought if I spoke to someone on the phone and told them exactly what I wanted and for what instrument, that would do it. Nope. The D string I got (two of them actually) is a much heavier than I need. I’m kind of tired of the whole thing, actually. I strung my mandola back up with the regular pairs.

Those two strings were $29.00, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buesseler View Post
    All the mandola strings I could find at emando are flatwounds for electric instruments.
    I have used the flatwound sets from emando on mandolin, mandocello, and octave mandolin. Sound-wise, they fall somewhere between TIs and bronze-wound strings. They might work for you.

Al