Thread: Bowl Back Zouk Restore

Default Bowl Back Zouk Restore

Looking for advice from folks who work on bowl backs. This Zouk come into my shop for some restoration work. A family heirloom, owner wants it back in playable condition. Has some ribs loose, top cracks, missing trim pieces (rosette and binding.) My first question is, what is the best approach to gluing the back together again? Can it be done without removing the top first? Trying to come up with some ideas and a cost estimate, but have never made one of these structural before. Any suggestions appreciated!

Model is Vracas, made in New York, 1915

Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5 20220608_145526 R640.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	124.7 KB 
ID:	201433Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 Zouk Greek 9 R640.jpg 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	201434Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 20220608_140037 R640.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	201435Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3 20220608_140142 R640.jpg 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	201436Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4 20220608_140159 R640.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	201437

2. The following members say thank you to Spyder for this post:

Default Re: Bowl Back Zouk Restore

Definitely repairable, and you probably shouldn't need to remove the top, although that can make things easier.

Hard to see in the photos, but it looks like there are some old poorly done repairs? These will need to have the old hide glue stripped out so that everything fits nice and close and tight again, some 120 grit paper shuffled about in there normally pulls out the worst of it. If there are bits of the light-coloured banding between ribs missing, then you'll need to replace the missing bits to get a good fit - offcuts of maple veneer would normally be a good choice here. If you've not done one of these before, spend some time planning before you do anything, you need to factor in a couple of hours "thinking time" to your estimate. Then I glue one join a day (with HHG), and use masking tape wrapped around to hold everything together. Do a dry run or two first to make sure each join will go back together with decent alignment, and let everything get good and hard before you remove the tape, often these have been out of shape for a while, so there's some "spring" trying to pull things apart again. I start with the easy/trivial splits and move on to the big gaps last. Time wise, 10-20 minute per day (per rib). Plus the thinking time of course

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tavy For This Useful Post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

More photos please, sir! Lots of them.

You know how we are around here.....

And perhaps one of the label, too, if there is one.

Thanks in advance!

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

6. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Talked with the owner, the project is a go! Here are a couple more pics. One shows the label. The others are for the rosette. I would like to fix this, but so far I have not been able to find any colored wood strips to made the new piece out of. Need it for this and along the top binding in one spot. Anyone have a source for red and blue wood strips? These are about 1mm thick, i can get black and natural no problem.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zouk Greek 3 R640.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	201454 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zouk Greek 1 R800.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	201455 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zouk Greek 2 R800.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	201456

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spyder For This Useful Post: