Thread: Eoin Duignan

Default Eoin Duignan

My wife and I were in Dingle a couple weeks ago and stumbled across a poster for a concert @ St. James church that very night. Only 100 tickets were available and we were lucky enough to score 2. Turns out these concerts are hosted by Eoin Duignan and happen every Monday Wednesday and Friday in this 500 year old church. Eoin opened solo on the low whistle and affected me in a way that's almost impossible to explain. I had never heard or even heard of a low whistle and to hear a master play in that setting was moving. Eoin is humble and approachable and we had a wonderful conversation after the show. If you are visiting Ireland, go to Dingle and attend one of these concerts, it's an experience that will stay with you forever.

Default Re: Eoin Duignan

Low whistle is a cool instrument! I've heard the sound described as the "cosmic drainpipe" of whistles.

Low D whistles are popular with pipers in my area as a second instrument, although you need hands large enough for the finger stretch on the tone holes. They're typical spaced a bit further apart than flute. Thanks for the report, I've never been to Ireland but I need to get there before it's too late for me. It's on the bucket list.

3. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

JRG 

Default Re: Eoin Duignan

Low whistle - check out Davy Spillane (doesn’t seem to be working much these days) and he doubles this with uilleann pipes.

On of my favourite recordings of his is Atlantic Bridge - a strange mix he recorded with Bela Fleck, Jerry Douglas and Albert Lee.

5. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

JRG