Thread: Article: New Music - Mike Marshall Mandocello Solo J.S. Bach Cello Suite #2 BWV 1008

Blog Entries

Default Article: New Music - Mike Marshall Mandocello Solo J​.​S. Bach Ce

Default Re: Article: New Music - Mike Marshall Mandocello Solo J.S. Bach

Mondo Music Monstro, Mike Marshall. Always a treat.

Sheri Mignano Crawford Mandophile's Avatar

Rudy would be so sproud of you! The mandocello was his mandolin sweetheart!

Summit County, Colorado

Want to hear Mike Marshall play the Prelude to Suite #6. Casals played it best.

Blog Entries

An insightful and entertaining Q&A interview from the Artistworks blog just posted: Mike Marshall Releases Mike Marshall Mandocello J.S. Bach Cello Suite No. 2, BWV 1008

Mike Marshall Releases Mike Marshall Mandocello J.S. Bach Cello Suite No. 2, BWV 1008

Default Re: Article: New Music - Mike Marshall Mandocello Solo J.S. Bach

I like what Mike says about "What Bach wanted this music to sound like." Of course we'll never know exactly, but there is plenty of historical literature and period style documentation to guide us. Great music should never be "look what I can do!" it should be "listen to this wonderful music."
    I have heard European scholars argue that American mandolinists play classical music like fiddle tunes. Some of that has to do with arch top vs. bowl back and picking technique, but it also has to do with strongly embedded Euro-centric traditions in classical music. I was trained and initially taught in that tradition, and probably disrespected some great artists from other less "artsy" cultural backgrounds. Masters like Mike Marshall, Chris Thiele, and the Modern Mandolin Quartet are raising the level and notoriety of classical mandolins everywhere, and if there is a fresh non-Euro-academic approach, there is still profound respect for the music as opposed to either the established textbook method or the star quality of the players.
    By the same token, I am disappointed when I hear people at bluegrass festivals complain about Sierra Hull or Chris Thiele playing "that classical crap." Same narrow definition of music and how it should be played.
    Keep them cello sweets comin' Mike.
    jim
    Last edited by Jim Imhoff; Jul-01-2022 at 12:37pm.
    Jim

Dr James S Imhoff
    Boston University
    Oregon Mandolin Orchestra

1912 Gibson K4 Mandocello; Thomann Mandocello; Stiver F5; American? Bowlback; Martin 00016; Dusepo Cittern/liuto cantabile

7. The following members say thank you to Jim Imhoff for this post: