Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to get info on my mandolins

Default Trying to get info on my mandolins

Trying to whittle down my instrument collection and sell a couple mandolins, but I don't know much about a couple of them. I'm hoping someone here might be able to figure out what I've got so I can list them on Reverb, eBay, etc.

The first is a Sigma that my uncle bought for me around 1996 that he found at an estate sale. A web search tells me it's similar to an "A" or "C" style Gibson, or an "A" style Martin. I can't find any model number or serial number on it, but I have good photos. Can anyone help me identify this and possibly narrow down when and where it might have been made? Picture below.

The other is a Strad-o-lin I interited from another uncle who passed on. I've found pictures on the web of similar instruments that simply say "1950's vintage" - no model info, etc. I've also included photos of that one.

Any help figuring out what these are so I can list them would be much appreciated!

Jerry Turnbow
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4660 (002).jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	344.2 KB 
ID:	201568   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4657 (002).jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	469.5 KB 
ID:	201567   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4686 (002).jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	355.2 KB 
ID:	201569  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4681 (002).jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	454.3 KB 
ID:	201570   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4675 (002).jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	577.7 KB 
ID:	201571   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4671 (002).jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	355.0 KB 
ID:	201572  

Name:	IMG_4672 (002).jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	454.2 KB 
ID:	201573   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4669 (002).jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	477.5 KB 
ID:	201574  

Default Re: Trying to get info on my mandolins

The Sigma (the brand name was owned by Martin) is an imported copy of the Martin Style A mandolin that was built from the teens through the 80's. I think the Sigma brand was circa 1980 or so. It didn't last very long. The Strad-O-Lin is an American made instrument that is probably a little earlier than the 1950's. Of the two the Strad-O-Lin is the more desirable as it has the coveted matching pickguard and tailpiece cover.

Added: Apparently Martin started importing guitars under the Sigma name in the 70's and was still selling the brand in the early 90's. That isn't going to affect the price on that mandolin.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

3. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Two mandolins from two different uncles? Interesting...

My dad was born on a tobacco farm in Kentucky, where more kids = more farmhands. There were seven boys and three girls (one of the boys died at age six). A couple of them played music, including my dad, who sang and played the mandolin. He passed away this past January a few weeks short of his 99th birthday. (The uncle who found the Sigma was the youngest of the bunch - he didn't play, but he appreciated bluegrass music and instruments. He found several Martin guitars at pawn shops and estate sales around Salem, OR that he'd buy and let me know that I'd bought another guitar. I have a 1946 000-27 Martin guitar he found that I still play.

Interestingly enough, my maternal grandmother also played the mandolin, and I have hers as well. It's a vintage Gibson - don't know the year. Attached are photos of my dad's and her mandolins. Both of these are heirlooms and I plan on keeping them. (Dad's is the one I currently play when jamming acoustically; I play a Godin A8 electric in the band)

I'm blessed to have come from a musical family on both sides.

Name:	IMG_4687 (002).jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	469.4 KB 
ID:	201577Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4688 (002).jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	459.4 KB 
ID:	201576Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4689 (002).jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	423.5 KB 
ID:	201578

That Gibson is an A model Century mandolin which along with the L-Century guitars were built in the 1930s to commemorate the 1933 Chicago Century of Progress Exposition. The other one I can’t ID. Looks like it could be from a small shop maker.

BTW I don’t think there were any Martín 000-27 guitars made in the 1940s. Most likely it is a 000-18 or 000-28.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

The Stradolin has the Kluson tuners under the large cover plate. These tuners were made in the years just before the USA entered WW2 which immediately created metal scarcity and the type was no longer made. That probably dates the mandolin to circa 1940 although some makers had a stash of this style of tuner and used them after the war was over. I have them on a guitar made and sold only in 1941.

Jerry: Can you post some more photos of your grandmother’s mandolin. That one is interesting.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

There's a similar Sigma Style A clone for sale here for $500, which I would consider optimistic. Sigmas, when Martin owned the brand, were pretty good imitations of Martin instruments, so I'd expect it would be solid woods and decently made. But an Asian import canted-top flat-back would be more likely to sell for less than $300, IMHO.

Stead-O-Lin could go higher, since the brand's attracting a lot of market interest in recent years; US-made no-frills mandolins that "punch above their weight" in terms of sound and playability. You could ask $4-500 for it.

These suggestions are based on the mandolins being in good playable condition, no significant repairs, neck warpage, or excessive playing wear. From the pics they appear to be in that condition, but without in-person inspection, still a "pig in a poke" to some extent.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

10. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Thanks, Mike!

Thanks, Allen! I appreciate the info. I wouldn't have guessed that the Strad-o-lin would have that much interest. It does appear to be a solid top, as I can see the end grain through the F-holes. I'm pretty sure the Sigma is a laminated top, but not sure.

Take care!

Jerry Turnbow

13. The following members say thank you to Makophin for this post:

Thanks, Jim - this helps a lot on my grandmothers mandolin!

My dad's was made by a Chicago luthier named Willam Buslap, who died in 1930. This makes sense, as my dad bought it second-hand when he was living in Chicago, which is also where he met my mom at age 14. (They married after he returned from WWII when she was 16). The peg holes on the mandolin didn't have any bushings, and were wallowed out, so my dad, who was working at the Simpson Electric Company in Chicago at the time took a piece of the mirror-finish stainless steel that they used on the meter faces and made a cover to hold the tuning posts in place. It was ugly as sin, but functional. Years later, for one of my dad's birthdays, I sent the mandolin to a guy in Seattle who removed the stainless steel plate and fashioned a new cover out of ebony, which is what you see in the photo. He also repaired a botched job of neck repair where it had been fixed after my dad accidentally sat on it.

You are also correct about the Martin 000. My uncle (the one from Salem, OR) told me it was a 1946 000-27, which I took at his word (probably what he was told when he bought it for me). To me it always looked like 000-21 inside, and I think I even called Martin and talked to their historian about it. Anyway, looking at a serial number chart, it looks like it's a 1952 000-21 - a year younger than me, not older like I've been telling folks for years.

Thanks again for the info, and take care!

Jerry Turnbow

Name:	IMG_4691 (002).jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	201579Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2022-06-19 11_47_27-AMERICAN FRETTED MUSICAL INSTRUMENT MAKERS and 5 more pages - Profile 1 - Mi.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	201580Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4692 (002).jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	391.0 KB 
ID:	201581

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Jerry: Can you post some more photos of your grandmother’s mandolin. That one is interesting.
    Will do, Jim. I think I'm going to string it up and take it to my Monday night jam, so I'll take a few photos and send them.

Take care!

Jerry

Quick update/correction - the 000 guitar my uncle found and bought was in fact a 000-21 made in 1952. Thanks to Jim Garber for getting me to dig a little deeper.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    The Stradolin has the Kluson tuners under the large cover plate. These tuners were made in the years just before the USA entered WW2 which immediately created metal scarcity and the type was no longer made. That probably dates the mandolin to circa 1940 although some makers had a stash of this style of tuner and used them after the war was over. I have them on a guitar made and sold only in 1941.
    Wow - what an interesting bit of info; thanks, Nick! This helps a lot.

Jerry

Teacher, repair person

A little more info for you:

The Gibson mandolin with the pearloid fingerboard is an A-Century. These are somewhat rare mandolins. They were a special model built to commemorate the "Century of Progress" World's Fair that was held in Chicago in 1933. They were produced from 1934 to 1936. Gibson also produced an L-Century guitar model. The guitars were in production longer, and are more common than the mandolins.

The guitar is indeed a 1952 000-21. The back and sides are Brazilian rosewood. The 14 fret models like yours were in regular production from 1938 through 1959. They made around 2000 of them, 109 in 1952. Take good care of it-- Martin was making very good instruments during the early 1950's.

Both these instruments are somewhat valuable, and deserve a little TLC. As a result of the recent feeding frenzy in older Martins, asking prices for early '50's 000-21's have risen to over $10K if they're in decent condition and have the original finish. A Century of Progress mandolin might bring $4K or more.

19. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    A little more info for you:

The Gibson mandolin with the pearloid fingerboard is an A-Century. These are somewhat rare mandolins. They were a special model built to commemorate the "Century of Progress" World's Fair that was held in Chicago in 1933. They were produced from 1934 to 1936. Gibson also produced an L-Century guitar model. The guitars were in production longer, and are more common than the mandolins.

The guitar is indeed a 1952 000-21. The back and sides are Brazilian rosewood. The 14 fret models like yours were in regular production from 1938 through 1959. They made around 2000 of them, 109 in 1952. Take good care of it-- Martin was making very good instruments during the early 1950's.

Both these instruments are somewhat valuable, and deserve a little TLC. As a result of the recent feeding frenzy in older Martins, asking prices for early '50's 000-21's have risen to over $10K if they're in decent condition and have the original finish. A Century of Progress mandolin might bring $4K or more.
    Good to know, RCC56 - thanks!

As I said, these are both heirlooms, so I won't be selling unless my retirement funds dry up before I do, but might think about increasing my homeowner's insurance.

Teacher, repair person

It would be advisable to have the Martin appraised and specifically listed on your homeowner's insurance.
    It wouldn't hurt to do the same with the Century.

22. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

I think the chances of selling a Sigma mandolin that is a clone of a Martin style A for $500.00 is really slim but hey, you only have to sell one. I'd be shocked to see it go for $200.00.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

24. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Jerry, your SOL looks very much like mine, and I have also been told 1940 or 1941 based on the tuners. (There is no date inside mine.)
    Nick, what does your guitar look like? I am curious.

Name:	SOL cropped.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	368.9 KB 
ID:	201592 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200702_125915.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	781.3 KB 
ID:	201593
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

Sue, this is not mine- it is one Jake had but mine is identical but I had cream replacement buttons put on to the Kluson tuners. Mine is in the same cosmetic condition but my luthier had to completely rebuild the neck- board off and planing etc. The old Silvertone ad mentions a hand-carved top. The guitar is called the "Arthur Crudup" model as he had an RCA publicity photo taken holding his. I can remember seeing that photo in Paul Oliver's blues book nearly 50 years ago- I had no idea that I would one day own one. The tone is pretty good but it is its looks that are something else! https://reverb.com/item/436725-1941-...archtop-guitar

27. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

Sue, I think your mandolin is a few notches up on the one posted. I think it is an example of using the guard and tailpiece cover to lend the mandolin that extra pizzazz in looks! Here is Arthur- his guitar has the pickguard- you just cannot see it well- anyway, that book had a big impression on me and I now have a house full of junk and some blues guitar skills.

Name:	R-954385-1550347088-7509.jpg 
Size:	133.6 KB 
ID:	201594

29. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    It would be advisable to have the Martin appraised and specifically listed on your homeowner's insurance.
    It wouldn't hurt to do the same with the Century.
    Good advice, RCC - thanks! I've got several others I need to have appraised, including a '59 Les Paul Special that I've had since I was a teenager.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    I think the chances of selling a Sigma mandolin that is a clone of a Martin style A for $500.00 is really slim but hey, you only have to sell one. I'd be shocked to see it go for $200.00.
    Thanks, Mike; I wasn't anticipating it would bring anything close to $500 from what I saw looking at others online.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    Jerry, your SOL looks very much like mine, and I have also been told 1940 or 1941 based on the tuners. (There is no date inside mine.)
    Nick, what does your guitar look like? I am curious.

Name:	SOL cropped.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	368.9 KB 
ID:	201592 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200702_125915.jpg 
Size:	781.3 KB 
ID:	201593
    Yup, mine looks exactly like yours, Sue, including the covers on the tuners.

Thanks!

Jerry Turnbow

33. The following members say thank you to Makophin for this post:

Well, not exactly, Jerry.
    You don't have the snazzy stairstep fretboard extension

You've got some pretty dang cool ones, though.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar