Thread: Eastman truss rod question

Default Eastman truss rod question

I recently got a "b-stock" md505. It looks great and I couldn't find anything wrong with it visually.

The neck had too much relief, but the truss rod nut was already at maximum tightness and with lots of thread showing. I was able to tighten it a little bit and get .005" relief. The action is decent at .05" on the G and .04" on the E.

My concern is that I don't think it's possible get the neck straight for future dressing, which might be in the near future due to a slight hump on the treble side. The bridge is also currently at maximum height with this set-up.
    Last edited by mr. pocket; Jun-19-2022 at 3:54pm.

Default Re: Eastman truss rod question

Quote Originally Posted by mr. pocket View Post
    The neck had too much relief, but the truss rod nut was already at maximum tightness and with lots of thread showing. I was able to tighten it a little bit and get .005" relief. The action is decent at .05" on the G and .04" on the E.
    A spacer of some kind (such as a ground down washer or three) can be installed under the bottom of the truss rod nut to extend the working length of the TR threads. Care must still always be exerted not to break anything, or force the fretboard up off the neck.
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

3. The following members say thank you to Fretbear for this post:

Default Re: Eastman truss rod question

Without tension from the strings you will most likely have to slack off on the truss rod to make the neck flat. As Fretbear says a washer or two will give you plenty of room to adjust, I have done that many times.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

5. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post: