Thread: General question about the classified sections

Default General question about the classified sections

I’ve been watching the classified section for over a year (maybe two) for a nice Eastman MDA814, as well as to enjoy all the eye candy and different build types. I’ve never paid much attention to this or not, but are folks having success selling and buying instruments these days, or do the same listings just keep getting bumped to the top? I wasn’t sure if it’s a buyers or sellers market or at a complete standstill. And getting back to the MDA814, do companies like Eastman go on production runs where they might circle back around and make an instrument they haven’t made in a while? Thanks!

Default Re: General question about the classified sections

Yes, items are still being bought and sold through the classifieds. In my case, I have a certain amount of mad money, and when I see something which is pertinent to my interests, I buy it. I tend to not buy many things on impulse, but there are a few well established items and instruments on my limited list which don't require consideration before sending cash.

Regarding the MD814, I bought one when they first came out. It was great, and at a great price. I eventually sold it when I realized I preferred a different tone and a longer neck.

If you want to know about getting one new, you should call the Mandolin Store. They might have better info straight from Eastman. I think now I regularly see the 814 selling for around $1800-2000 used.
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

3. The following members say thank you to Explorer for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
    …Regarding the MD814, I bought one when they first came out. It was great, and at a great price. I eventually sold it when I realized I preferred a different tone and a longer neck.

If you want to know about getting one new, you should call the Mandolin Store. They might have better info straight from Eastman. I think now I regularly see the 814 selling for around $1800-2000 used.
    Thanks for the comments, but to be clear, I’m referring to the MDA814 (not MD814, which I also see for sale on occasions). The MDA814 is a mandola.

So you owned the MDA814 oval-hole mandola before but didn’t like the tone or neck length? Would you say they dropped the 814 from production thinking their MDA815 is a much better sounding and more versatile mandola between the two?

Funny... I've also owned the MDA815, the F-hole model, and found it to be the same character as the MD814. It was eventually sold, and I did have a chance at the MDA814 oval-hole. It had the same tonal character, without a great difference from the F-holes, and I realized I really prefer the Army-Navy pancake flat-top tone. I now own 5 Flatirons.

I only saw the MDA814 in the wild during the early days of the Eastman imports. Now I only see them every couple of years. Again, the Mandolin Store will probably be your best bet to find out if they are still available.

Again, I didn't find a huge difference in the tone. Weirdly enough, I do have a Michael Kelly F-style F-hole mandola and a similar octave mandolin, and they are still around. I was surprised they keep proving themselves to be to my satisfaction....
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

Thanks, Explorer! That’s very good info to hear. Now I feel a little more relieved to not scratch that itch and search out an instrument I may never find. I guess since the mandola is much larger than the mandolin, the tonal differences can get muddied by all the added resonance. Add a thick layer of Eastman lacquer and then I can imagine how they might sound similar. (I’ll just remain content with my MDA815.)