Thread: Graham Caldersmith on guitar and violin acoustics

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

Default Graham Caldersmith on guitar and violin acoustics

Long time members of the GAL might remember Graham Caldersmith's many articles over the years on violin and guitar acoustics. Although not directly related to mandolin building, the principals of how violins and guitars produce musical sounds are the same as for mandolin family instruments. In addition to his contributions to American Lutherie (the GAL quarterly) he had numerous articles published in the Catgut Acoustical Society newsletter, the Journal of Guitar Acoustics and peer-reviewed acoustics journals in Australia, American and Europe. Since he died nearly three years ago, I have been slowly working on compiling a book of these various articles and it is due to be released in the US and Canada in a couple of weeks. I do have some copies here in Australia, but the postage to anywhere out of Australia (except maybe New Zealand) is going to be prohibitive. It is already listed on Amazon and pre-orders are being taken. Like my other books, distribution is through IPG in Chicago, so talk to them about wholesale orders. This not really a book for the general reader, bit for those who might have an interest in the science of how stringed instruments make sound. The Table of Contents and a brief bio of Graham is available at http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com/caldersmith_papers.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Caldersmith Cover front copy.jpeg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1,023.3 KB 
ID:	201589

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Graham McDonald For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Graham Caldersmith on guitar and violin acoustics

Looks interesting; thanks for the heads up.
    Bob Schmidt

For us non-down-underers: The Caldersmith Papers: Writings on Guitar and Violin Acoustics https://a.co/d/2a9qVgm
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

A+

Graham was a great guy with a very curious mind. Even though I've read a lot of them individually, I look forward to having them together as a collective.
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.