Thread: K&K Pure preamp issues advice needed

Default K&K Pure preamp issues advice needed

Hi,
    I have a K&K Mandolin twin in my Eastman. Nice little passive pickup and very practical for the kind of busking/outdoor gigs I do. I also got a K&K sound pure preamp box (belt clip, 9v battery, basic eq type thing) because research suggests this is the right thing to do.
    The boost is useful and it’s maybe a bit clearer. However I get a LOT more pick/handling noise and a slightly less wholesome tone.

Is this just highlighting flaws in my technique or is it a budget product issue?

The build quality feels more like a good college project than a pro audio product. I thought I had got to the end of gear buying for a while!!

Default Re: K&K Pure preamp issues advice needed

I used the K&K mandolin twin pickup paired with the K&K preamp for quite a while. Sound was good, but the pickup appears to be quite sensitive to handling noise and pick noise which is no surprise due to its placement. I had to rework my right hand technique to playing with closed hand to avoid touching the top with my middle and ring finger. That helped a lot. Another recommendation is to use a high pass filter set somewhere near 150 to 200 Hz if available. You could try cutting the bass on your preamp EQ as far as possible without sacrificing amplified tone.
    Ellis F5 Special Deluxe custom
    Anton Krutz F5
    Lawrence Smart H 5 Mandola
    Gibson K 2 Mandocello
    Northfield mahogany arch top Octave Mandolin

guitars, banjo, dobro, weissenborn, pedal steel, fretless bass, upright bass

Quote Originally Posted by rumpystumpy View Post
    Hi,
    I have a K&K Mandolin twin in my Eastman. Nice little passive pickup and very practical for the kind of busking/outdoor gigs I do. I also got a K&K sound pure preamp box (belt clip, 9v battery, basic eq type thing) because research suggests this is the right thing to do.
    The boost is useful and it’s maybe a bit clearer. However I get a LOT more pick/handling noise and a slightly less wholesome tone.

Is this just highlighting flaws in my technique or is it a budget product issue?

The build quality feels more like a good college project than a pro audio product. I thought I had got to the end of gear buying for a while!!
    ".....LOT more pick/handling noise and a slightly less wholesome tone...." compared to no preamp, your old preamp or just when using the K&K Pure without the boost?

I still have an old K&K Pure - no boost, no XLR input or output. It always worked well for me. I really like have volume and eq pots right there on my belt. But I got a RedEye a few years back and it is si pler, sounds better, has an effects loop, XLR output and phantom power.

Most preamps are designed for guitar. A more popular instrument I guess??? So yes, as mando-bob says, dump the bass. It usually is around 80hz and you don't need that for mandolin.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I've used a Tone Bone DI with my guitars that have K&K mini's and that combination has worked great.

This is what transducers do. If it forces the player to improve their technique that's a good thing but it is what transducers do. Plus it's not the natural tone the mandolin produces.

I like the Myers grip "pickup". They call it a pickup but it's actually a mic. Scroll down and see the "The Grip/Clamp Micro Gooseneck." I have been very satisfied with this product.

I have been very happy with a Shure KSM137 small diaphragm condenser mic but due to hearing issues I can't use it.

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

K&K is a hot pickup and mandolins are already very sensitive and percussive so yes, it's going to pick-up any extraneous noises from contact with the top. It's part of why I prefer a small diameter condenser mic I can move and out on. The Red Eye gets a lot of love for it's mating with K&Ks. Two possible solutions I can think of would be a volume pedal or at least a tuner pedal in the chain for muting when not playing. The Red Eye has an effects loop that works well for those purposes.

Ideal would be to have a graphic equalizer where you can cut all frequencies below the low G and above the highest note you play on the mandolin, this would cut out all the unwanted, nonmusic noises. I would also opt for a small amount of reverb or digital delay to soften things up and put a little envelope around the notes to make it sound more natural. Trying to make pickups sound natural can be a costly and complicated endeavor.

8. The following members say thank you to Rob Roy for this post:

ToneDexter solved my problems.

10. The following members say thank you to NDO for this post: